Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 5 May 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

August 2018 Wishing on a Star: Day 17 Family of the Day at MK

We were up early trying to soak up every last moment before home time. We finished packing and dropped our bags with bell service before heading to MK for an early breakfast at BoG. I had croque madame and J had an American style breakfast, eggs, sausage etc. The meal comes with shared pastries and it is a quick service for breakfast. It was fairly pricey, but we enjoyed it and it made a lovely start to last day - especially getting pictures on an empty Main Street.

We rode 7DMT and experienced to actual queue as we usually FP it.

I assume we rode Buzz and had some photopass pics, but I have no real evidence of this.We did our first FP and then wandered round the hub on the lookout for pins and to return a t-shirt I'd bought 2 of accidentally . It was here we encountered Brick. Brick appeared to be a manager and we approached him to check pins (I think he was in the AK show as Joe at one point). What started as idle chat developed like this:

"So what does a smiley, young couple like you have planned for today?"

"It's our last day," we replied sadly, "But we don't have to leave until after 5 so we have pretty much all day."

"Are you watching our parade?" Queried Brick.

"Of course," we told him it was a last day tradition if flight time allows.

"Do you want to be in it? I'm looking for a family of the day and I think you'd both be perfect." He told us.

Without a moment's hesitation we agreed Brick gave us all the details of where we should meet him later. We bade him farewell and stood dumbfounded for a minute wondering if that had really just happened? We were grand marshalling the parade? Really?

I told J he'd better get a Disney t shirt and I was now in need of new ears. Although I needn't have bothered as they gave us silly hats to wear. Excitedly, we passed time doing goodness knows what as I didn't write it down. Let's be honest though, it's not the important bit and was probably a rehash of our favourites: dole whip, Buzz etc. We definitely had a laugh playing "insta-stories" at the purple wall...what's all that about, eh?

Finally, the time had arrived, 2pm. We met Brick near Splash and a photopass photographer took some photos; we were also given special hats to wear.

Our driver told us lots about the car we would be riding in and we jumped in ready to be driven around the park. It was so exciting.

As we proceeded through the MK we waved and smiled pausing every so often for a photo opportunity.

At the end of route we were taken for some more pictures before we were given a spot to watch the parade from.

Sadly, due to imminent weather, the parade had to be sped up a little, but the weather held long enough for us to enjoy the parade. What a wonderful magical moment; one I suspect we will unlikely to repeat. We were given a certificate and thanked Brick and our photographer.

Before heading home we nipped into photo shop and had some complimentary pictures printed. Then, sadly, it was time to leave. Despite our hotel being walking distance, the rain overhead made us opt for the monorail. I dragged us on the wrong one by mistake, then did it again and we ended up heading round Epcot with Bay Lake Tower disappearing in the distance - good job we weren't short on time. Rookie error, but it made for nice last view of the world and kept us dry.

Back at the hotel we changed and waited for the tragical express. What a wonderful and unexpected end to our holiday.

Highs:
Grand Marshalling the parade has to be top of the list. It was a wonderful experience.
Being "home" at Bay Lake. Being able to book at 11mths made such a difference.
The MK and Star Wars Desserts parties.
Cowfish.
All the parm fries - yum we ate at Universal.
Jake's at RPR was a surprise hidden gem.
Antojitos - the best guac.
Refillable cups at Universal.
Some great CS: Bumblebees Taco truck / Sat'uli / Contempo / China / Chicken Guy.
The Lounge at Dublin Airport - that pancake machine was awesome!
Cocktails, especially Blue Lagoon.
Tiffins, especially the package we did. It was amazing.

Lows:
Getting tonsilitis.
Brown Derby Fantasmic package - too expensive for what it is now.
Wasn't keen on The Dolphin. I'm glad we didn't honeymoon here as planned in 2006.
AK dessert party, but I imagine this was be improved as the manager asked for lots of feedback and seemed to want changes.

So what now? Well, for the first time in years there's no last minute trip booked. We keep thinking about it, but the need to be parents is stopping us committing despite seeing some good flight prices. We are really close now and are at the last hurdle so watch this space for an extra exciting pre-trippie. The future definitely holds more trips of that there is no doubt; hopefully it won't be too long before we are back. Hope you have enjoyed reading, sorry about the mid-season break. Thanks for wishing on a star with us and we'll "see ya real soon."
Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Grand Marshall for the parade sounds fab, what an amazing memory for the last day of your trip.

I've really enjoyed reading along, even with the break.

I hope everything works out with you and look forward to reading a future trip report where there are three of you.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

It really was. My nan was made up when I told her as she's always wanted to do it 😊. We were very lucky x
Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

What a fabulous end to your trip! I wish you lots of luck with your imminent plans and am excited to read more in the future 😊
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Wow Nicki, whats a fabulous end to your trip

Looking forward to hearing about your future plans...exciting times for you both

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

I am still wishing on that star for you - it must be so close now! ❤
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh. My. Goodness! What an awesome end to your trip. I have really enjoyed reading your trip reports and send you all the pixie dust and wishes on stars that I can muster in the hope that your family dream becomes a reality soon.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

what a fantastic last day! Lovely photos of your starring role.

Good luck with that last hurdle, hope all is sorted soon - it will be lovely to read a new trippie from you with an extra passenger!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
What a fabulous end to your trip! I wish you lots of luck with your imminent plans and am excited to read more in the future 😊
Thank you for reading; it was amazing to be chosen x

Originally Posted by christybell View Post
Wow Nicki, whats a fabulous end to your trip

Looking forward to hearing about your future plans...exciting times for you both
It was an amazing, felt like royalty in that car . Hopefully exciting times are not too far in the distant future now. Thanks for reading x

Originally Posted by MinnieMrsA View Post
I am still wishing on that star for you - it must be so close now! ❤
Pretty close...we hope. Thanks for reading our report. I see you have one up, so that's my weekend

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Oh. My. Goodness! What an awesome end to your trip. I have really enjoyed reading your trip reports and send you all the pixie dust and wishes on stars that I can muster in the hope that your family dream becomes a reality soon.
I know! It was so exciting. Thanks so much for your well wishes...hoping we won't need than much longer

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
what a fantastic last day! Lovely photos of your starring role.

Good luck with that last hurdle, hope all is sorted soon - it will be lovely to read a new trippie from you with an extra passenger!
Can't wait to write a trippie with an extra passenger. They'd best be Disney addicts Thanks for reading xx
Old 7 May 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Thank you for coming back and tying up the trip report for us Niki. I am sure that the parade experience was a special one, I think it was lovely that the acknowledge that even though you are still waiting for your little one, you’re still a family.

Here's hoping you have your new addition, and a subsequent new countdown very soon.

Always rooting for you guys xxx
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List