Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jun 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

I know a different month but we went August last year had previously been May and it said rain everyday we were due to be there and thunder storms before leaving the U.K. It was brilliant weather. Yes we had rain only one day that was persistent and that was only for two hours. The odd 10/20 minute some afternoons and that was it. It’s so localised as well can be raining in MK but not in AK. Try not to stress about it.
Old 13 Jun 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tink66
Apprentice Imagineer

Rain or shine you will still have a fabulous time. Weather, I'm afraid, is one thing no-one can do anything about.
tink66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Out of all the vacations we’ve taken in Orlando we’ve only really had less than a handful of really heavy rainy weather days. That’s pretty good going since we’ve been going for over two decades. Pack a poncho and sandals and just keep going, they only close down the outdoor rides when there’s a risk of lightning strikes. Everything else tends to stay open when it rains. Traffic slows to a safer pace. There are usually indoor activities at the resorts and the shows will still be on in the parks the campfires will be cancelled and they do move the night time movies indoors to a more suitable location. Don’t worry just roll with the flow and you can still enjoy your stay. If all else fails you can always dry off back in your room...just try not to freeze in the air conditioned buses lol!
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
talk talk
Getting Excited

Usually go June/July in the knowledge it’s the rainy season so expect rain every day. As others have said it’s usually localised and usually passes quickly. Rain can persist for several hours if storms about but it’s all part of the Florida experience in our view.
Lindfields Villa - November 1998
Terra Verde Villa - June 2019
talk talk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
bree1982
Gone all Goofy

There is nothing you can do to change the weather, it will not be as bad as these apps make out, you will be having so much fun it wont matter..!

Have a great time

Brendan
bree1982 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jfk
Excited about Disney

It all depends on your tolerance to rain. Personally I hate the stuff, we get enough of it here so I'd rather not have it on my holidays. The problem is, like a lot of people, we're tied to summer holidays so we have to roll with the punches. You do need to go into it with your eyes open (not the rain, that stings ) and yes, you might get away with some brief showers but equally you might find yourself facing 3-4 hours of pretty solid rain.
We've been twice in August and both times we've done a one night stay at Universal Deluxe to grab a FOLP pass. Both occassions we'd planned on going back to the pool for a swim and on both occassions the respective afternoons were written off by heavy rain that lasted right through until the early evening.
Last time we went in August 2015 we lost 2 nights from about 5pm where it started raining and just didn't stop.
Maybe we're just unlucky, maybe there's just an Eyeore type cloud that follows us around?
If you go expecting Spanish/Greek August weather you're in for a shock; if you take every rain free day as bonus and accept that on those other days you could get lucky and only get a 30 minute storm or you could write off 3-4 hours then you won't have a problem.
We're going again this August and whilst I won't be stressing over something I can't control, I'm not going to pretend that I won't be absolutely gutted if it's rubbish weather.
New York/Villa Highgrove Aug 15
Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 19
jfk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Nells77
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

We go end of July/beginning of August and trying not to worry about the weather. But like most I really hope my once in a life time fortune holiday isn’t ruined by it or anything else 😭 we really can’t control it and a couple of years ago I went to Malaga for 4 nights and it rained for 2 days, apparently it hadn’t rained for 4 years 😤 still had lots of warm weather and an amazing time thought
Nells77 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cartwheel
Proud to wear my Ears

We are fortunate to have been able to go in August most years since 2006. You will absolutely get torrential downpours.
We always get up early, hit the parks (or pool) and the rain will generally hit in the afternoon, you will see the clouds gathering and know! We then have some down time, maybe go to a shopping mall or steak and shake (!) and it normally turns into a lovely evening. Although one year it rained every afternoon and evening for three weeks! it will be what it will be !
cartwheel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Been going 20 years rarely have we had all day rain for more than a day. Even last May when everyone was moaning about rain we still did lots including the pool without rain. Just ignore weather till you arrive, you can't change it and social media stories will always sound worse.

Also plan your day accordingly. Shop when it rains and pool when dry. Parks in the wet aren't that bad we had two productive wet park days last year.

Rain is often quite localised.

Edited at 11:52 AM.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jfk View Post
It all depends on your tolerance to rain. Personally I hate the stuff, we get enough of it here so I'd rather not have it on my holidays. The problem is, like a lot of people, we're tied to summer holidays so we have to roll with the punches. You do need to go into it with your eyes open (not the rain, that stings ) and yes, you might get away with some brief showers but equally you might find yourself facing 3-4 hours of pretty solid rain.
We've been twice in August and both times we've done a one night stay at Universal Deluxe to grab a FOLP pass. Both occassions we'd planned on going back to the pool for a swim and on both occassions the respective afternoons were written off by heavy rain that lasted right through until the early evening.
Last time we went in August 2015 we lost 2 nights from about 5pm where it started raining and just didn't stop.
Maybe we're just unlucky, maybe there's just an Eyeore type cloud that follows us around?
If you go expecting Spanish/Greek August weather you're in for a shock; if you take every rain free day as bonus and accept that on those other days you could get lucky and only get a 30 minute storm or you could write off 3-4 hours then you won't have a problem.
We're going again this August and whilst I won't be stressing over something I can't control, I'm not going to pretend that I won't be absolutely gutted if it's rubbish weather.
This is pretty much exactly my attitude.

I know a lot of people say you can’t do anything about the weather, so why worry, but I think there’s actually quite a lot you can do about it.

In fact, worrying is probably a good start - if you’re prepared for the worst, then anything else will be a bonus. And if you are prepared for inclement weather, then you can do things like planning your days around the times it’s more / less likely to rain, taking ponchos if that’s your thing, having contingency plans for activities to do indoors, etc. I’m no fan of rain, but we’ve had a few rainy holidays in our time and we’ve found ways and means to make the best of it.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List