Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 May 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
update Work Experience year 10 dilemma!

My daughter 14 needs a placement by the 9th June to do 1 weeks work experience on the 3rd July. The school sent a letter home saying dont approach companies direct but ask friends and family. We have nobody to ask, dh is a builder, dh works at DHL and says its not appropriate for young girl. We have family, Bristol, Norwich, Staines all too far away. My boys did it a Wh Smith and Woolworths, we have found out that all the kids have been going to shops and getting there own placements even though the school said not to! We tried today and either got a big fat no or all the places have been filled. Wh Smith said phone the manager tomorrow because he has been off all week! School have offered her a place at Pets at Home Slough which is miles away. We tried Next, Hobbycraft, Outfit, New Look, Thomson, Boots all the places gone, Pets at Home had one place and its gone! Thanks for reading if you have got this far, any ideas where she can try? I am going to phone loads of places tomorrow in another shopping centre out of our borough and hope for the best! Thanks for any replies xx

UPdate post 24 😀

Edited at 12:07 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Shocking! Work experience should be lead by somebody at the school and ideally linked to something the young person has an interest in.
Saying that I did mine in a travel agents and at the time had no interest in that area. Good luck!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluefish
Getting Excited

That's a bit of an odd thing for the schools to say not to go direct to companies, when my daughter did work experience years ago they had to go direct and organise themselves with no input from the school. Maybe there have been problems in the past?

I guess it depends on what you daughter is interested in as to where to go, my daughter worked for two weeks on a local alpaca farms and had a fantastic time and was able to fully work as one of the staff, she gained loads of experience and knowledge. She contacted them direct and went for an interview before they agreed to the placement but had no involvement from the school in getting the place

Edited at 04:00 PM.
Bluefish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We are asked to find a placement ourselves in an area hold us interested in or the school send them somewhere. Dd got cancelled by the school as they had an issue with insurance company going bust 🙈 So she has never had any and imo would have really benefitted from it
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm a teacher we have lots of ex pupils apply for y10 work experience. All approach me directly with a formal letter/email followed by forms from the school.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
When DS22 did it it was left so late as they were told they were going to go over it in class, and didn't. :angry: All the places were snapped up so he got to do his helping in the science dept at school being a dogsbody. He quite enjoyed it being on the "other side"

With DD18 I secured her a place in the primary school I work in months before she got the letter as I knew they took work experiencers, her old school. She ended up in her old teachers class. She decided there & then working with kids is a no no lol.

Have you asked at your local primary school or even a charity shop? DD did hers at Heart foundation for college when they had to do WE.

Edited at 04:05 PM.
missy E is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smurfette123
Serious Dibber

Mobile

My kids had to arrange their own placements. They all did work experience in their old primary school. They wrote the letters themselves and handed it into the school. They all spent the week in the nursery.

Kate
smurfette123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
She doesnt really know what she wants to do but is a very clever girl, she will now do it anywhere as long as its not to far. I would have helped her sort it ages ago if we could just go in places and ask, but I thought that wasnt allowed! I will phone up loads of places tomorrow and the phone the school if we dont get anywhere. I cant believe the school offered her a place in Slough which is nowhere near where we live, I wouldnt let her go even if she could manage to get a train there!
Old 14 May 17, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We have just had to organise DS(15) second WE. The first was easy in that here it is generally one of two weeks (December or March) so companies set up a scheme for the kids. DS did his at our local airport where I have contacts and it was a great experience.

Now he has to do another in June and no-one is interested! He has ended up doing it at DH's company with DH. DH works for one of the biggest local employees and out of season they will only allow it if it is your child and you keep them with you! Most of DS's classmates have found similar issues!

Good luck!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
it's a nightmare isn't it? My DD's school helped those students that were struggling and placed lots of pupils at the local hospital.

Other places to try are schools and nursery schools - I know quite a few of my DD's friends got placements in the local infant and junior schools and they often welcome the extra help with things like reading. My DD ended up with a really cushy number in the local parish council office (her dad is a parish councillor) - she only worked 9-12.30 most days!