Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Apr 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

Court case...I don't know what to do

But I know what I want to do. It's late and I'm tired and overthinking things. I posted a while back about being a victim of assault as a nurse from a relative. The case went to a local magistrates court and the defendant was found guilty...well, doh! Naturally (because I didn't think any different) he has appealed and now wants to drag me through a crown court, which is this Friday.
When I first learned about it roughly 3 weeks ago, I stated I would not attend. The first trial was bad enough, being accused of being unprofessional and of me striking the defendant and not him hitting me! My main witness went to pieces with ridiculous accusations thrown at her and, in 25 years, I have never seen my DH so enraged by the whole thing that he had to leave to calm down. All support went out the window for me as I struggled to calm these people down. I was never told the defendant was defending himself so he wasn't in the dock and was actually within reaching distance of me as I passed him.
Anyway, I made a retraction statement to the police over two weeks ago, stating the reasons, as mentioned, why I will not attend.
So the case is on Friday and I've heard nothing. I'm really waiting for a summons or a warrant for my arrest As a nurse, I've had to cover a shift for Friday, in case I have to go but I'll be damned if I'm chasing up what on earth is going on. Ideally, if I don't have to go, I can claim that shift back by the end of tomorrow without loss of earnings.
I suppose what I'm asking, is what do I do? I know one thing I won't do again...is report an assault on a nurse...it really isn't worth it. So much for zero tolerance. He's still allowed to visit his relative where I worked and I had to give up that job.
Any thoughts, experiences, etc?

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Have you had help from your RCN union rep, If you are required to go make sure you take the rep with you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

RCN say because I have support from the Witness Care Team by CAB, they cannot support me. The witness care team failed to tell me anything, little support there 😕

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I think you need to chase it up - you're saying you'll be damned if you're chasing it, but actually you're worrying yourself into a state by not knowing, so the only person suffering is you.

The CPS may not even need you at the appeal to give live evidence - they might just work off a transcript from the lower Court. The Appellant has had the opportunity to cross examine you, it would be unusual for him to get a second bite of the cherry unless the Crown specifically needed you.
Old 25 Apr 17, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I often wonder what we pay them for, that's really bad. Hope you get on ok. It's a shame you are feeling that you didn't do the right thing, it was courageous and more people should feel able to report assaults in the work place, be it Nurse or otherwise.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

I've no advice to give but just wanted to say bless you. You should never have had to go through this and I hope they throw the blooming book at him! I lost my dad last year and he was in and out of hospital for a long time. Every single nurse I came across was an absolute angel, quite often in difficult circumstances. You do a fantastic job and should never ever be assaulted for doing so. I hope you get justice xx
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
smurfette123
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Although I don't know the exact set of circumstances you are referring to, I feel for you, I really do. We as a family have been through a court process and it was just awful. It left us feeling like if it happened again we probably wouldn't report it.

I think you should phone and ask if you need to be there or not. Least you'll know for certain and prepare for it if required to attend or try put it out your mind if you don't.

Kate
smurfette123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Can't offer any advice but I'm shocked that a professional doing their job can be offered so little protection after being assaulted.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
All I can say is for evil to win all it takes is good people to do nothing. This person is evil hitting a nurse. You should go to court give your evidence and hopefully this person will serve a prison sentence.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I would chase up asap as you say they can arrest you to attend. It doesn't surprise me the lack of communication either. Hopefully you wont be needed.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List