Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Dec 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile Krakow

Just booked 3 nights in Krakow next September. We arrive lunchtime on a Tuesday and leave midday on the Friday. We want to go to Auschwitz and the salt mines. Anyone recommend a tour company and is it best to combine the two or see on different days please. I'd rather do a guided tour of Auschwitz. Many thanks.
Old 16 Dec 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

the wife and i have just booked a similar stay for april, the 2 are on our list. looking at Auschwitz its virtually a full day (ive seen 1.5 hours travel each way and 4 hours in the memorial ) i will ask the mrs for the comany shes looking at booking with and get back to you,
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Do you have to use a company now? We've done it two ways. First way was train then taxi. Second time was a taxi direct from our hotel. Chose to tour Auschwitz and Berkenau on our own. For the salt mines we just hopped on one of the buses.

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

I'm sure you don't need to book a tour but just feel an organised trip and guide for Auschwitz might give me more information. I'm happy to get to the salt mines under our own steam if that's easy to do.
Old 16 Dec 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I'm sure you don't need to book a tour but just feel an organised trip and guide for Auschwitz might give me more information. I'm happy to get to the salt mines under our own steam if that's easy to do.
thats the same for us, i think doing Auschwitz without would be a missed opportunity
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We used Prime Tours Krakow. Found them on tripadvisor and they were excellent. We used them for airport pick up and drop off too, as well as Auschwitz, salt mines and JP2 tours. They were excellent value and I’d highly recommend.
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We went to Krakow in October. It was fabulous, I am quite sure you will love it.
We booked Auschwitz with a tour company through Expedia when they had a £20 discount offer. You are picked up by coach either at your hotel or a central pick up point. The coach dropped off at the entrance, you then go on the tour with one of the camps own guides.
The Salt Mines are very easily reached by bus. Our friends went but we didn't (and now regret it as they said it was so good) This was a fraction of the cost of a tour and they said it was very easy.

Some tours do both on the same day but I don't think it is a good idea. Auschwitz is a full day and also emotionally draining so don't plan too much afterwards.

I would definitely recommend one of the walking tours. They meet in the main square, we booked but it wasn't necessary. There are a few to choose from, we did the Old Town with krakowexplorers/ourtours/. This was about 2.5 hours and you just give a tip. The guides were really good, pointing out all the buildings with lots of stories about the city.

I would also recommend visiting Heroes Square in the Ghetto, the old pharmacy (tiny but fascinating place) and Schindlers Museum.

There is also a very modern indoor shopping centre with a Bath and Bodyworks if you have a bit of spare time.

The food was very good and so cheap. We just loved the city and will certainly return.

Edited to say to go around Auschwitz you can only go without a guide before 10am or after 4pm and you need to book in advance. it takes about 1.5 hours to get there from Krakow.

Edited at 04:33 PM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Edited to say to go around Auschwitz you can only go without a guide before 10am or after 4pm and you need to book in advance. it takes about 1.5 hours to get there from Krakow.
Ah, that has changed since our last two visits then. For us a guide wasn't needed.

Link to our first trip. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ghlight=krakow
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Thankyou. Think we might do the salt mines the day we get there and Auschwitz the weds. I'm expecting it to be very emotional so might plan the Thursday to eat shop and wander. I'll look at that company thanks. Definitely want a guided tour.
Old 16 Dec 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Thankyou. Think we might do the salt mines the day we get there and Auschwitz the weds. I'm expecting it to be very emotional so might plan the Thursday to eat shop and wander. I'll look at that company thanks. Definitely want a guided tour.
You can still book a guided tour at the camp and make your own way there from Krakow. The tours sold by the tour companies are really just your transport there. They show a film about the camp on the journey there and leave you at the entrance, then take you the couple of minute journey to Birkenau. The tours in the camp are conducted by Auschwitz educators and you can book these on the Auschwitz website. You would then need to make your own way there but I am sure there is a bus service from Krakow and a shuttle between the two camps. This would have the advantage that after the tour you could have another look around. We felt it was very rushed, there is a lot to see, the groups are large and I could easily have spent several more hours there.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List