Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jun 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Robblps
Very Serious Dibber

Does anyone pay to sit together on BA flights ?

I recently bought our flights for next year with BA. Then when it came to seat selection the price is crazy.

The cheapest seats you can buy are 30 pound. These are towards the back of the plane and in the middle 4 seats. To get the end 3 seats either side, from row like 42 back its 35 pound each. Anyone who sits closer than something around row 35, its 55 pound just to choose what seat you want.

We are 3 adults so we are just going to get our seats at check in. I find it crazy that the prices are so high just to sit together. 90 pound it would cost each way if we wanted to sit at the back of the flight in the middle row. Bonkers !

Just wondering does anyone without kids actually pay for this ?
Robblps is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Robblps View Post
I recently bought our flights for next year with BA. Then when it came to seat selection the price is crazy.

The cheapest seats you can buy are 30 pound. These are towards the back of the plane and in the middle 4 seats. To get the end 3 seats either side, from row like 42 back its 35 pound each. Anyone who sits closer than something around row 35, its 55 pound just to choose what seat you want.

We are 3 adults so we are just going to get our seats at check in. I find it crazy that the prices are so high just to sit together. 90 pound it would cost each way if we wanted to sit at the back of the flight in the middle row. Bonkers !

Loads of people do, but in the vast majority of cases it is not needed (although anytime you don't pay you run the risk of being split up)

Just do online check-in at 24 hours and you should be fine.

The most likely group sizes on a plane are 2,3 or 4 people.

So the auto-algorithm generally opts to put 4s in the middle, 3s on the sides and 2's either next to another 2 in the middle or pair them with the singles on a three row.

As you are travelling as a three, you have the most chance of any group of being sat together and not having anyone else with you
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Last time I flew BA, it was a solo trip to Vegas, and I paid to book my seat. I specifically wanted an aisle seat, so to me it was worth the money to guarantee it.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post

We fly in club world and it usually costs about £100 to pick each seat, there are two of us so that is an extra £400 we choose not to pay.

I used to be silver status, which allowed free seat selection at the time of booking, but I have dropped to bronze now and can only select a week in advance. I have only had one flight so far as bronze and we got seats together, but we could not get the two seats on the left or right, we ended up with two out of four in the middle.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
tootsie rolls
Imagineer

tootsie rolls's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Robblps View Post

I paid for our seats in premium.
Linfields April 1999,Westridge April 2002,Indian ridge April 2005,Hampton lakes June 2008,Westridge June 2010,Sunset lakes sept 2012,Rosen inn point Nov 2014,Residence inn may 2016,Hampton lakes may 2018
tootsie rolls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Depends , for us we don’t as we travel non school holiday times and if we did get split up it would be a minor inconvenience not a disaster . If I travelled school holiday time with kids I’d feel differently though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Yes, no problem.

Happy to pay for seat selection and travel BA. Last time we went club i think it was £75 per seat per leg and seats allocated at time of booking.

Lovely to know where on the plane you will be. A great way to take away some of the stress that seat allocation could cause.

At just over 4000 miles thats about £20 per 1000.

Disney332
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Fleagle
A Guest at All-Stars

I've done the same and paid for seats in Club as we (3 of us) wanted to sit together in the front club cabin on a 789.

It can be a lot but it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not. Personally I would pay to secure better seats.
Fleagle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

We generally pay to sit together as I've seen the nightmare commotion when people do get split up. Last year we used our AVIOS to pay for the seats, but year before we didn't pay and previous to that we did pay when fees were introduced. It's all personal choice really and comes down to whether you will be fine if you are split up. One year lots of people on the flight were moved around because a GB team of disabled wheelchair athletes were on the flight and they all needed aisle seats, so it is a gamble really.

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmymouse
Proud to wear my Ears

We flew with them in December, LHR - BOS. We didn't pay for seats (honestly I refuse to on principle) and didn't have any issues selecting seats 24 hours before at check in. I had to do it on the phone as there was issues with my booking and had plenty of options, even on a busy (but not full) flight.

I should note there were two of us.
WDW/Coronado Springs - 24th September 2020 - 1st October 2020.
Emmymouse is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List