Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 3 Oct 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I'm converted to no car now. Uber all.the way, I much prefer seeing an uber car heading to us on the app than the stress of directing DH and finding parking 😀. Exception is out of the Orlando area or the West Coast, but then we usually meet with my brother who lives in the US and he drives.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I could never envisage being in Orlando with no car. As Mr Morrow wisely alluded, the freedom that it gives is priceless.. But then again, we don’t even visit the Disney parks any more and very rarely even eat within a theme park at all when we are in one, much preferring outside offerings.

For us, no car, then no Florida. We average around 1000 miles on any Orlando based vacation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:38 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's a shame you can't rent a car for the time you need it like you can in London.

Like Zipcar. Car sharing for £5 an hour

Edited at 08:02 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

No, we love having a car and love the freedom it offers. If you don’t have any other option to use busses/Uber etc than fine but for me, I would miss it terribly. I just factor the cost of parking into the holiday.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

That’s got a business model written all Over it !

Personal car service 2-3 family’s per week, I’ll take you where you what etc, set fee, yes I could do that job
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Siff
Proud to wear my Ears

I have been thinking the same for my next trip. Never have we gone without renting a vehicle, we like that flexibility. But next trip hopefully in later 2021 my son will be about 3.5 years and his first Disney trip. We are thinking it may make more sense (not cents im sure :-P) to stay fully in the disney bubble. We would still at least want to head to a supermarket to get supplies
Siff is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

At one point i used to think that that to get about in florida you need a car.
3 years ago i decided to try without a car and for me it worked out.
I hire a car for a couple of days either end of my holiday just to get to and from sanford airport. the rest of the time i use Uber, its cheap, safe and reliable.
i have never had to wait more then a few minutes from ordering and it was graet having a chat with local people in a fully air conditioned car rather then having to wait 10 mins for your hire car to cool down when you get back to it.
the money have saved in parking alone is a no brainer.
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Always a car hire for us, especially next year as we are staying the full duration in a villa.

Car hire prices are high at the moment but they usually come down.

Also, as a family of 5, Uber/Lyft can get expensive as we always have to have the XL option.
Old 14 Nov 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Having stayed in Aventura you could definitely ditch the car for part of it. It’s a brilliant hotel and you walk into Volcano Bay at the back, or can walk to City Walk or get the boat.
I personally would not want to be without a car as we like to get out and about a lot but would consider picking up a car part way through.
Old 14 Nov 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

I am considering the different options at the moment but having had one WDW holiday without a car, I just can't see myself not having a car.

We have only used DDP once and found it very restricting and quite like to be able to escape the Disney bubble and try the wide variety of (much better value) restaurants outside of WDW.

My daughter likes the outlet shopping and we also like to use the supermarkets to save money on soft drinks and snacks.

The hotel parking charges are making it more a decision but ultimately the freedom to get away from the masses will probably just be enough to justify it.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List