Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 5 Oct 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Ted Lasso - the best new show this year. up there with schitts creek!

Ted Lasso, an American football coach, moves to England when he’s hired to manage a soccer team—despite having no experience. With cynical players and a doubtful town, will he get them to see the Ted Lasso Way?

so bill lawrence (scrubs, cougar town, spin city, undateable) has gona and done a new tv show in england! starring jason sudeikis as an american football coach who moves to the uk to run a sportsball team.

i hate football. but this show is one of the best things this year. it's just so *wholesome*

i've not seen a show this wholesome since joe pera talks with you (on all4, go check it if you havent heard of it - its just *lovely*)

you cant help but love almost everyone in this show. my gf wasnt convinced by the first episode, but by the third one, she was hooked too. the last episode of season 1 was on last week, so you can go watch the whole thing (its been picked up for season 2)

anyway, go take a look. its GREAT!

(on a related note, brett goldstein who plays roy kent (he HAS to be based on roy keane in some way, i swear!) also helped write the show, and also has a new one he did himself with one of the black mirror writers called SOULMATES. a new anthology series on AMC that starts tonight. looking forward to that too)

Edited at 02:06 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

we watched this by accident and thought it was fab. Made us laugh out loud at some points
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Is it on the same lines as Mike Bassett England manager. Now that is a classic and well worth a watch

myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Is it on the same lines as Mike Bassett England manager. Now that is a classic and well worth a watch

never watched it. normally i avoid all sportsball stuff (the brian clough movie being one of the few exceptions), but bill lawrence (and zach braff directing some) reeled me in, and i was hooked by episode 2

they even got me excited and cheering when they scored a goal!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

nobody else yet? everyone i know who has watched it so far all LOVE it
Old 3 Nov 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Loved it despite going in thinking I was going to hate it.

From the trailer and concept I thought it was going to be some bumbling stranger in a strange land slapstick. There was the slightest hint of that - I guess it was unavoidable - but couldn't be more wrong.

Football dramas and films nearly always get the on field action so wrong and false looking. Although far from perfect, they did a half decent, believable job. The training ground scenes were a bit cringey. Celebrating a goal in training as if they'd just won the Champions League...

The Roy Keane and assistant manager characters were brilliant and Jason Sudeikis stole the show as the American manager. Funny and likeable. Looking forward to second season. Thumbs up from me.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

this is a really good article about the show, go have a read, and then hopefully it will convince you to find a copy if you havent already!

ew/tv/jason-sudeikis-ted...-feel-good-tv/
Old 15 Dec 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i feel like this will eventually go the same way Schitt's Creek did... not until the final season (or after its ended) does everyone else discover what a truly wonderful show this is

it's so great, i'm re-watching it already.

those of you who haver a free year of appletv because you got an ipad or whatever, make this your main priority. trust me, you won't regret it!

Old 15 Dec 20, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Thanks for the heads up. Will see if I can find it for tonight.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. Will watch some more tonight. Thanks
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List