Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Oh Abby I feel your pain. ☹️

I was pretty disappointed yesterday when they said they weren’t going to open until mid July. When I first heard, I thought he said 11th and 15th June which would’ve made sense, but July! 😩

I’ve been giving it all some thought and as you know having to wear face masks is a deal breaker, but once universal open I’m going to see how that works and that they drop it, as I honestly think it’s unworkable for too long. As it will cause more problems having them, than to not have them.

I think the park opening times are limited but it still looks like they are doing extra magic hours but just finishing earlier. I hope the water parks are open?

I’m sure most of the other restrictions would be “ok” even though they are very limited, although no parades or fireworks would be annoying even though we don’t really bother with them it’s nice to watch them from the likes of Narcoossee’s and CG. Plus there’s no point going to Tony’s if there’s no parade to watch. 😂

The one reserved park a day could be awkward too as we’ve got a lot of ADR’s booked around which park we are in, I mean, will we be even be able to go to restaurants we’ve actually booked?

There’s so many unknowns I just can’t really imagine enjoying it? 😭

I’m still going to leave it till after universal and sea world have opened as things might become a little clearer, and see if these restrictions are going to stick for any length of time.

Also, I’ve not even added my girls onto Our booking and if there not taking any new ticket sales, will we even be able to book them on? I think we would but I’m not 100% 😬

Amelia still really wants to go if we can, but I’m not about to hand over £7,500 if it’s not going to be the “magical” experience we are paying for.

In a way I just want the decision to be taken out of our hands and then we can focus on having a nice summer at home in our garden! 😁

Kat X
Oh that's a pain that you haven't added the girls yet. I did get round to adding Dave and the kids to the booking. I woke up calmer about it all today and didn't think things could get any worse, then I read the announcements about all ADRs and FP will be cancelled, then I read that the non DVC resort hotels will not be opening at the same time as the other resorts and then I found out all dining plans bought as part of a package will be cancelled. What a mess.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
oh Abby I didn’t feel brave it was awful. Poor Wellington was so lovely with me. I was really tempted to wait until the deadline for the balance but as I already told you I couldn’t bear to ring up again and listen to the music while I was on hold-Its a Small World and Soarin had already tipped me while I waited
Disney were fantastic and the wait wasn’t long at all-I think 15 mins in total. We are all sad that we are not going to be there but have everything crossed that we will be back real soon.

I can’t face changing my countdown
There won't be any cocktails and dreams now oh I'm sad about that. What a shame. I was so hoping we'd fluke it and end up with adjoining rooms.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Oh Abby I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way. It’s totally understandable though! £3500 is a lot of money to just lose so I can’t imagine the dilemma you’re having. I do think in another 3 weeks we’ll hear more about what is happening regarding flights and maybe even an announcement from Trump either way!
Speaking to my travel agent friend this morning she truly believes flights will resume and the FCO advisory lifted by July, that just leaves being able to get into the US.
Do you think you’ll still want to go if you are able?
We are feeling a little deflated too. Im in a fairly p*ssed off mood this week. Even if we do get to go we’ve been robbed of any excitement in the lead up, I don’t want to go over any of our plans or even think too much about it. We’ve still got a weeks accommodation to book but I haven’t even bothered looking at anything as there’s no point at the moment. First world problems I know but like you we live for our holidays.
I’m so sorry again you’re feeling so blue this week xx
I knew what I was doing at the time though, I understand what non refundable means, so I can't really complain about losing the money. It's a good question, if the flight goes ahead would we be on it? I've not ever been particularly worried about our health as we are fortunate to not have any underlying health issues or complications so as we are fit and healthy at the moment I think I would get on the plane. But of course this year the holiday would not be the same. I suppose it was a pipe dream that it could go ahead in any shape or form at all, so being the same was never going to be on the cards. I really don't want to wear a face mask, I think we're lucky that our government haven't made it a requirement. I floated the idea of getting on the flights if they aren't cancelled and doing a Florida road trip, but then that would require us to drive, and book somewhere to stay! So, that's another pipe dream really.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by jothp View Post
We all have ups and downs and I think sometimes it is better to accept being sad and wallow for a bit rather than bottling it all up. Did the government's announcement that only a quarter of year 10/12 can be in school at once effect your school's plans?
It's another day of announcements isn't it? None of us predicted this did we?

Our plans for school will have to change as we'd planned for year 10s to return from 8th June, but just 20% each day so spread across the week. Maybe we will just shift our plan back to 15th June rather than changing it completely? It buys us a bit more time to get stuff ready.

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
It’s perfectly understandable for you to feel sad and not know what to do for the best or commit to calling it off. Maybe all you can do in the next couple of weeks is see what the reservation system will entail and then decide if everything in the announcement was still in place when you go (assuming flight available) is that a holiday you would be happy with? If not then make that your decision to move it to next year or cancel rather than pay anything else. I realise that sounds easier than it would be in practice.

A wasted year is exactly what I said to my husband last week. We have limited school holidays left with one doing GCSEs next year and one supposed to be doing A levels now. I totally understand your feelings about missing out on family holidays as the kids are getting older but I feel sure that you would all still have many more happy trips to come as you seem such a close family x
Yes I think you're right we just have to wait for Disney to get in touch with us as they say they are going to reach out to all guests over the next few days. But I don't want to commit the extra money if we're not sure if borders will be open as it just seems silly to throw more money down the drain.

I'm glad it's not just me being melodramatic and you also had the same thoughts about this being a wasted year. Time is slipping through my fingers and at over 6ft I know Max is not my baby anymore, but I really wish we could turn the clock back. Hopefully you're right and there will be plenty more trips together.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Abby I've just cried reading your update. I feel devastated for you, then feeling is awful 😔 I can't reply properly as I'm on my phone, but even if you are safe and healthy it doesn't mean you can't be unhappy or disappointed about this ❤️ I'm hoping to get on the laptop tomorrow to give a proper reply, but just wanted to send you all massive hugs xxx
I'm sorry you're sad too. It's all a bit of a mess isn't it? I wish all we had to worry about was the timing of the fast passes not being exactly what we wanted or a favorurite aattraction being closed for refurb, those were the days.

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Abby I've been thinking about you every time I see an update. I totally understand how you feel. £3500 is a lot of money but on the other hand the balance is a lot more.
There's still time for everything to change. I'd be doing the same as you, waiting!
Would you consider scaling back your trip if the non refundable stuff can't be cancelled, cancel the Disney bit or transfer it to next year ( are they no longer saying you can add dining later if the free dining offer is released)? Sorry maybe not a useful thought but if its not going to be the experience you want?
Waiting is all we can do at the moment, but I think the disney trip is all but gone for us now. The idea of staying on site with no guarantee of getting in the parks and no free dining and...and I could go on. So, then you're right and the next thing to think about is doing it differently. We've done offsite once before at Rosen Inn international when we did the NYC and orlando split stay. Maybe we'd do that? Maybe. I just can't think at the moment.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Elsa42 View Post
Oh Abby 😢 sorry you’re feeling this way! Just a quick reply tonight but I’ll reply properly tomorrow. It’s a super hard decision to make! I’ve just made a post on my report regarding the same thing although our holiday is slightly later than yours. Is there no way to get a refund on the 3500k or a chance to move them due to the current situation? Maybe something you haven’t felt ready to look into! Whatever happens I hope you get to go whether it’s this year or rebook for next year 🤞
I have looked at the Lufthansa flights and we could get a voucher from them, but the flight is still showing on our booking. The DVC rental is a bit trickier. I booked that through David's and the DVC resorts will be open, so for, their point of view they can fulfil their end of the deal. It's just that we may not be able to get there. I knew the money I was paying was non refundable and so it's my own fault. I didn't anticipate not being able to go, but I did know what I was doing. I'd love it if the free dining deal is announced for next year as that would take the sting out, but it seems the dining plans are all cancelled now.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Abby, I’m so sorry 😞 I hoped it would be good news for you but I can see that it’s cutting it very close...and that’s not even thinking about the flights and other things.

In case this helps with regards to the lost year, my siblings and I are 33, 35 and 38...and we still go away as a massive family, so hopefully you’ve got plenty more family trips to look forward to.

Really feeling for you and everyone else on this thread in the same boat xx
Yes, I'd hoped they would be open for a month or so before our trip as we would then get to see how everything was running and what the systems would be. But, that wasn't meant to be. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the kids still want to come away with us when they're in their 30s too.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Oh Abby, I wish I had something to say that could make you feel better. I am so sorry. For what it's worth, I think you did the right decision not cancelling right away.

I sometimes, (actually, a lot), feel embarrassed about how invested I am in our holidays. They are the highlight of our year. Whenever I am having a yucky day, especially when it is freezing cold on my way to work, I think that eventually I will be back in Disney and it will all be worthwhile. Sometimes I wonder if I need more in my life as a holiday shouldn't mean so much. But it does, and the only thing that stops it being perfect as we don't have have our cats with us so we aren't a whole family. You get to holiday with your whole family so it is extra, extra special for you. I am so very sad that you might be having this taken away from you.

I am hoping that the delay in re-opening Disney vs. Universal will allow things to be more 'normal' at Disney when the time comes. I do hope we have some clarity over travel soon, I think the quarantine is nonsense, it was needed 6 months ago, it is pointless now. Particularly when the UK are the ones people should fear, not other countries.

Keeping everything crossed for you.

Obi, I am so sad that you have had to cancel.
Yes, when people ask what hobbies I have they are few and holiday planning is a big one of them! I spend a lot of time looking forward to the trip, reading other people's ideas and then researching stuff for our trip. So, to have it taken away is sad and it is the highlight of my year too. I like to plan my year out with half of it looking forwards to the next trip, writing the pre trip report, and the other half of it looking backwards and of course writing the trip report!

I'm waiting, but given all the announcements over night I don't see how we will be able to do Disney this year. For a start it doesn't look like CBR is going to be open so we won't have anywhere to stay for 16 nights and it doesn't look like we will have any food as the dining plans are cancelled. You couldn't make it up!

Maybe if the flights go ahead we will have a different trip and then end up in the two DVC rentals at the end but not actually going into any of the parks as the 21 day tickets were part of the CBR package. I don't know. It's all hard to get my head around at the moment.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
I didn’t really want to ring Disney but had a reminder email that the balance was due, I really didn’t want to take the 3rd option to cancel but I knew I couldn’t do it all again in another 3 weeks.
Not sure if fate was already weaving its hand as by the evening I got an email from BA cancelling part of our flight so that was the end of any holiday happening even if we could do it-I’m gutted but pleased the decision was kind of made for me

Hope you are all well and work isn’t too crazy-the girls don’t know our local KFC is open yet or I would have been sent out for treats.
I did get KFC on Tuesday, the line for the drive thru was long, but in the end we only waited about 20 minutes. It was worth it as it was yummy.

Old 29 May 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
I was thinking of you this morning when I saw the announcement. I wouldn’t be keen to go to Disney now in light of that.

Seaworld and universal might be the way to go if your trip does happen. At least they will have been open for a fair bit and you will be able to see what it would be like. I can’t remember if you went for annual universal pass upgrade last year?

I get the hobby and holiday planning, it’s a massive part of me too😢 I am reluctant to finish my last trip report as there’s nothing else on the horizon. I’ve resorted to taking pictures of the photos we have of our first trips back in 99,00 and 01, might make a photo book of those in the school holidays.

Nothing is going to make you feel better just now but I will say that now that ours is all cancelled and it’s had time to settle I do feel better. Max is not not going to want to go next time. Doesn’t mean I’m not longing for an Orlando trip though and we are currently only £500ish down which we will hopefully get back.

Edited at 08:40 AM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

It looks like we’ve all but given up on this August (although I’ve not told anyone else yet)

It’s a good job you didn’t cancel yesterday Abby as because you kept your booking you are still (maybe) entitled to 35% of a future booking and priority adr bookings for a future booking.

I’m holding onto what happens with that now to see if it’s worth bothering with?

Like Rescuer suggested, could you consider a universal/sea world combo? We have thought about it but Glen didn’t seem fussed on that idea. We will see?

Kat

Edited at 09:10 AM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

It looks like we’ve all but given up on this August (although I’ve not told anyone else yet)

It’s a good job you didn’t cancel yesterday Abby as because you kept your booking you are still entitled to 35% of a future booking and priority adr bookings for a future booking.

I’m holding onto what happens with that now to see if it’s worth bothering with?

Like Rescuer suggested, could you consider a universal/sea world combo? We have thought about it but Glen didn’t seem fussed on that idea. We will see?

Kat
Do you think the 35% off will apply to us as technically the UK Disney is not the same as US?
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Do you think the 35% off will apply to us as technically the UK Disney is not the same as US?
I really don’t know to be honest, but that’s what they are offering US guests, so maybe? I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get it as we can’t seem to second guess anything at the moment. But I’m assuming they will offer something. What a mess. 😩

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
I was thinking of you this morning when I saw the announcement. I wouldn’t be keen to go to Disney now in light of that.

Seaworld and universal might be the way to go if your trip does happen. At least they will have been open for a fair bit and you will be able to see what it would be like. I can’t remember if you went for annual universal pass upgrade last year?

I get the hobby and holiday planning, it’s a massive part of me too😢 I am reluctant to finish my last trip report as there’s nothing else on the horizon. I’ve resorted to taking pictures of the photos we have of our first trips back in 99,00 and 01, might make a photo book of those in the school holidays.

Nothing is going to make you feel better just now but I will say that now that ours is all cancelled and it’s had time to settle I do feel better. Max is not not going to want to go next time. Doesn’t mean I’m not longing for an Orlando trip though and we are currently only £500ish down which we will hopefully get back.
I did get our universal tickets upgrade to the seasonal annual pass. It didn't cost us a penny to upgrade. They would have run out in August, about half way through our trip. I've not contacted universal about them as it seems they will be extended and we could use them for the whole trip. It's just the 2 parks though, no volcano bay. It's something I will think about now as an offsite non Disney trip seems more likely given all the restrictions, but then again that's only marginally more likely as the borders are all still closed.

It’s a good job you didn’t cancel yesterday Abby as because you kept your booking you are still (maybe) entitled to 35% of a future booking and priority adr bookings for a future booking.

Kat
We don't have seaworld tickets but if the flight goes we always said we'd be on it. So I guess that means we have to think about some alternatives.

I really don’t know to be honest, but that’s what they are offering US guests, so maybe? I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get it as we can’t seem to second guess anything at the moment. But I’m assuming they will offer something. What a mess. 😩

Kat
I'll answer both comments about the 35% discount in one go. No idea!

We know the US deals are always different to the UK deals. So how this would be applied to our packages is up in the air. I imagine Disney UK are waking up to this mess same as we are.

At the moment we're booked to stay in a resort that's not opening so we've nowhere to stay and with a dining plan that's cancelled so we've nothing to eat. A Disney holiday is looking less appealing to me now

Of course I do have 6 nights of DVC rentals already paid for

I haven't even bothered to do to the maths on the 35% yet as which resorts does it apply to and what room categories and what is the new rack rate...It's all up in the air.

I've not told any of the others about the announcements yet as I just can't face it at the moment and I know that if I do I will start crying again.

Edited at 09:22 AM.
Old 29 May 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Mobile

Just popping in quickly before heading to work, after supporting in three other stores whilst I waited my store is finally reopening on Tuesday.

I am just crushed by the announcements I have woken up to. Feeling silly for thinking Disney may be more 'relaxed' with their delayed opening now.

I have nothing else constructive to say.

Abby, I would also look towards an offsite trip. It is not your holiday, but it is a new and exciting holiday with lots of potential adventures to plan.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Just popping in quickly before heading to work, after supporting in three other stores whilst I waited my store is finally reopening on Tuesday.

I am just crushed by the announcements I have woken up to. Feeling silly for thinking Disney may be more 'relaxed' with their delayed opening now.

I have nothing else constructive to say.

Abby, I would also look towards an offsite trip. It is not your holiday, but it is a new and exciting holiday with lots of potential adventures to plan.
You're not the only one who feels silly. I thought for a moment that this might be a nice relaxed trip without having lots of crowds on Main Street. I didn't even mind too much about the park hours as AK always used to close at 5pm so it's not such a bad thing to have to live with.

But wow, I couldn't have predicted this would happen and now it seems we have no hotel and no dining... I don't see we have a choice but to consider alternatives if we want a holiday. I'm going to try and take that positive and think about all the things we haven't done in Florida because we devote so much time to Disney. You know there are a thousand things we've not done, may be it will be an opportunity x