Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
They won’t sell many holidays to Brits without the free dining plan - that’s a given. Ask any tour operator including those that advertise on here.

For a family of 4 that require a breakfast, light lunch and a decent evening meal you are looking at £300 a day to cover food and snack costs. Not doable for most families.
Food budgets are very much depends on if your kids are young or older, onsite or offsite.
We spent $111 so £87 a day average last year for food,petrol and stuff to take home.
Both kids were young 3&4 so had kids meals and we were offsite so didn’t actually eat in Disney more of just snacked and we eat at the villa. We were always more thirsty than hungry so that made a difference to us.
Now had we been onsite in the Disney bubble I can bet we would have spent much more. Same as if the kids were teenagers then even offsite would be more.

I don’t think it would be have to be £300 a day though. That’s a lot. Suppose it also depends on if you eat at the cheaper counter service or the high end restaurants.
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

I think in future I would still consider an on site stay without free DDP, but it would likely be a short few night one, focused around say 1 particular park or event. Like food and wine, where I’d be paying OOP for drinks anyway.

No free DDP in combination with the addition of nightly parking charges at the hotels (which indirectly makes it more expensive to eat offsite, ie if you’ve hired a car to get around) would put a long onsite stay off the cards for me. Not necessarily the cost itself but my perception of “value for money”.

I’d do a couple of days onsite, pay OOP and most likely on QS and snacks, then get a car and stay/gorge offsite. 🤣

DDP has never seemed like true value for money to me, but it made the cost of onsite feel easier to swallow.

But we’re going to cancel onsite this year regardless of discount offered; it won’t be the holiday we planned in terms of experience, so I’d rather wait until we can have that.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A question for those who have been following American FB groups and other sites which have reported the 35% discount offer.

I see that a discount of 35% seems to be offered for the room portion of the current booking. Can I ask if anyone knows which resorts this is for? Because we have seen that the DVC resorts will re open, but Disney clarified that not all resorts will re open. So how does it work if you're booked into a resort that isn't going to be opening up? Do you get a 35% discount on the rack rate of a room at a resort that is opening or do you get 35% off your booking rate. For example if a guest had booked all stars then that isn't open what options do they have? Refund? Or 35% off a more expensive deluxe?

Possibly these are questions that no one knows the answer to and it really doesn't matter what offers or options the Americans are getting as we didn't book with them, but I'm still curious.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A question for those who have been following American FB groups and other sites which have reported the 35% discount offer.

I see that a discount of 35% seems to be offered for the room portion of the current booking. Can I ask if anyone knows which resorts this is for? Because we have seen that the DVC resorts will re open, but Disney clarified that not all resorts will re open. So how does it work if you're booked into a resort that isn't going to be opening up? Do you get a 35% discount on the rack rate of a room at a resort that is opening or do you get 35% off your booking rate. For example if a guest had booked all stars then that isn't open what options do they have? Refund? Or 35% off a more expensive deluxe?

Possibly these are questions that no one knows the answer to and it really doesn't matter what offers or options the Americans are getting as we didn't book with them, but I'm still curious.
Hi Goldia

At the moment resorts are still a mystery.

Maybe they are doing things in order, finding out who cancels or who keeps their orders and then how they can operate the resorts in the most cost effective way.

Maybe people who choose to stay will be moved to a DVC resort or others they will open. Just a guess that

(wo)MAN vs FOOD - August 2017 food trip report
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
Yes Disney rooms are really expensive for solo travellers, hopefully you’ll get a decent room discount 🤞
Thank you and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by penguin19 View Post
Hi Goldia

At the moment resorts are still a mystery.

Maybe they are doing things in order, finding out who cancels or who keeps their orders and then how they can operate the resorts in the most cost effective way.

Maybe people who choose to stay will be moved to a DVC resort or others they will open. Just a guess that
Thanks I did think i was asking something no one knows. It's all speculation. I'm thinking about our booking at CBR which looks to not be open and I can work out 35% discount off that room cost, but if it's not open then who knows what will happen.

It's all still a moot point as at the moment we can't travel anyway, and perhaps there won't be a need for any decisions and it will be out of our hands.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Thanks I did think i was asking something no one knows. It's all speculation. I'm thinking about our booking at CBR which looks to not be open and I can work out 35% discount off that room cost, but if it's not open then who knows what will happen.

It's all still a moot point as at the moment we can't travel anyway, and perhaps there won't be a need for any decisions and it will be out of our hands.
We are CBR too - this is completely just a hunch by me but I thought that would be one of the non DVC to open as it has the skyliner -which I think should be a better form of transport for social distancing.

(wo)MAN vs FOOD - August 2017 food trip report
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Mobile

As a family of 5 any discount would not work out in our favour.
We paid £5333 CBR 21 nights
£2345 Tickets

The QSDP would be £4199 ish

We paid a premium for flights because we wanted a special trip and knew our food was covered .

Now we potentially have overpriced flights with a carrier that is reluctant to refund and have to try and find a plan C ... for families like mine this is a very unfortunate position to be in. I Have been before so accept that is how it has worked out but feel sorry for those who had a first trip booked xx
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

This is just a guess on my part, but there's a possibility they could rebook people without resort blockouts, and use the data of those bookings to decide which ones to reopen. Any halfwit operations analyst could calculate which resorts to keep closed to be in their best financial interest. Once decided, they could contact those who were booked into a now closed resort and upgrade them to the next available open resort. That's how I would do it. 🤷
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
This is just a guess on my part, but there's a possibility they could rebook people without resort blockouts, and use the data of those bookings to decide which ones to reopen. Any halfwit operations analyst could calculate which resorts to keep closed to be in their best financial interest. Once decided, they could contact those who were booked into a now closed resort and upgrade them to the next available open resort. That's how I would do it. 🤷
If only everyone was as sensible as you.