Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Aug 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

To plan or not to plan?

That is the question!

I'm a member of several Orlando Facebook groups.

A member posted a picture of their plan for their trip and someone commented basically saying they needed to chill out and enjoy their holiday.

For some reason it really got my back up. Why is it wrong for people to plan if they wish to do so? Planning may work for some people but may not work for others, each to their own, it doesn't affect other people so I don't see the problem.

So I was wondering if you can give me pro's and con's of planning and not planning and why you choose to do that.

We're planning. The main reason is it helps my anxiety to know that we have 'something' planned. We understand that the weather may change the plans or that we may feel like doing something else on the day, but at least we have a back up plan as such.

Also my youngest is Autistic and doesn't cope well with change. For me this is a great idea as I can show him the plan (visual aids) so he can see where we're going and what we are going to do, this will hopefully lessen his anxiety (yesterday he threw up in a restaurant just as we arrived through anxiety) x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lightyear
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I've seen the same posts and I have to agree. I bet the folk saying to chill out are the same ones that'll come back form their holidays moaning that queues were too long and they didn't get on certain rides.

I always have a plan. I like knowing it's there and we'll get on everything we want no matter what the queues are. I also will change things up if need be, but that's ok too because I'll still have things planned later in the holiday we may have missed that day. I plan every Disney park for at least 2 days, working around EMH and special events. It really just works for us.
Lightyear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

Some it suits, some it doesn't. Nothing wrong either way.

Me, I am a researcher, I research everything with regards to holidays to an inch of its life, I write lists of what we want to do, where we want to eat etc. and work from that. For Florida we have a basic plan of action for every other day but this may not get stuck to, we just go with the flow, but for two adults that are relatively laid back that is very easy. For a family going in August then that may sound like a nightmare and I think one day if we go with a family of our own we may plan a lot more but for now it doesn't suit us. I love having a good idea of my options so that's why I research whereas my OH just turns up and only really gets excited about a week before a holiday
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post

The pros of planning (for me) are that I have some certainty of the experiences I am interested in but the definite biggest pro is that I enjoy it! I would think the “chill out” comment to be misplaced, because I am perfectly chilled out whilst planning. Planning does not mean not chilled.

I don’t always stick to my plans though, and don’t feel I have to. So I suppose a con could be that the planning was ultimately a waste of time, but as it didn’t bother me at the time I am not too worried about it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

People who advocate 'just chill out', may well be those like my brother who visit a resort in Cancun or similar on an all inclusive, sit on the same beach lounger each day and then just drink until they go to bed whilst turning into a Lobster. He has now visited the same resort 6 times in 6 years. They may well not even leave that resort, other than possibly on an organised tour to see a ruin. That, to me is not Mexico, not even a foreign trip as you havent left the resort and could be taken anywhere where the temperature is suitable. Many people love this, but it is my idea of hell. I would be bored by lunchtime on the first day.

Orlando and particularly Disney, requires intricate planning, should you wish to maximise the benefits of being there, particularly if you are on DDP. If you have not planned those meals and not planned those FP's then you have swindled yourself and your family. Not for me any longer, but definitely needs planning!

Many visiting Florida want to see a lot more of it. I have driven the whole coast from Mobile Alabama, to Key West, round and up as far as Daytona on various vacations. This appeals to me, it has been great and yes, it requires detailed planning. This Easter was California and it requires detailed, multi accommodation research and planning. Next year it is Boston, Ny, Dayton and Florida and it will require detailed, multi accommodation research and planning or else it will go wrong.

I am not advocating one view over the other, merely that for those with more of a sense of Curiosity, Adventure and a desire to 'see things', Planning is essential... and to me, a very enjoyable part of the whole. I know Florida really well, but still recognise that planning improves the experience.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:03 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

I'm a planner but I wouldn't tell anyone that they should or shouldn't do. I plan because I enjoy it, it's part of the holiday build up for me. I also plan too ensure that everyone has an amazing time and doesn't miss the things that they really want to do, we work really hard for our holidays so want to make the most of them. If I didn't plan we'd waste half the day deciding what we wanted to do so it saves us time too. I also know that even with all the plans in place sometimes our plans have to change and that's ok too so it's not set in stone.

Edited at 04:08 PM.
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

I have done both planned my last trip to Florida every day! Meals and fast passes etc... This time staying at Universal a bit different but still planning certain meals out and things to do just not set in stone when! My mum thinks I am mad and should always chill but that’s is me. We are not all the same and no right or wrong.
Sunnydays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

When I see planning threads it reminds me of a lad I worked with, he had planned everything pretty much to the minute, alarm set for 6 am, 1st child in shower for 6:10, 5 mins then next one in etc. it was crazy. He was ex-military and it showed!

After the holiday he was moaning that no one seemed to have enjoyed it much... really...boot camp would have had more freedom and flexibility!
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Simmyoto
Proud to wear my Ears

I'm a planner... actually a planner by trade.

I'm a transport manager / planner for a medium sized haulage firm with responsibility for 45 hgv's. it's a stressful job and if only the general public realised what was endured by drivers to ensure their products are on the shelves in time then drivers would be much better thought of and given far more courtesy on the roads.

Planning is my daily job, it overflows into life in many ways- to the point that I regularly clash with DW about things such as the route she takes / order of shops visited on a shopping trip as the inefficiencies hurt my brain.

That being said.. I wish that I was able to turn it off for something like holiday time.

This is our first trip to WDW and it was booked without my knowledge, I only found out with 6 months to go and hadn't been involved in the decisions of when, where etc but i have taken on the how part and have been the person to research all the details thoroughly to try and ensure that we have the best opportunity to have a good holiday.

We regularly holiday in Fuerteventura where my mother lived before she passed, that's like a second home to me and other than booking flights, villa and car hire (always the same anyway) I do not plan a thing as I don't feel I need to- I know we'll have a great time and enjoy ourselves as we know the whole island so well.

Florida and Disney is a totally different beast, Having booked a disney hotel along with QSDP I have felt that I NEED to plan everything to I guess in essence "get our moneys worth".

I have wondered a few times in the past months if the "bloggs family" who simply turn up and find things out as they go would be having a worse time... this holiday for me will be challenging and less relaxing than others because of the way the whole Disney experience is set up.. we mustn't miss our ADR, we must use our fp's early so we can book more, we must maximise our dining plan credits, we must be up early to make use of those emh - etc etc.

My signature is apt... I needed a rest - maybe next year

Edited at 04:58 PM.
Simmyoto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

I plan the following in a basic spreadsheet (only Daily levels, not by hours or anything too deep):

Transport to/from hotel (this year at least, not going with transfers for once)
Tickets
What Disney parks to do on what day (and by definition what days will be for other stuff)
3 rides for said Disney park on that day - usually on the morning.

That is it - I don't do ADR's, but would do a few if I were a fancier eater. I consider it to be a decent amount of planning. I'd rather not do it - as much as I actually LIKE making spreadsheets, I remember the old FP system and I much preferred it for the actual holiday experience. I miss the old days when you just had to KNOW about the parks, not put that knowledge into a spreadsheet.

Big difference between "we should probably hit this park in this order when we go" and "on 21st July we will be at Magic Kingdom for rope drop then head to this ride then this ride then a breakfast reservation then this ride then a bathroom break..."

However, those days are apparently gone. At least some people love it, and the new systems seem to be popular enough. I put up with them as I must. People tend to proselytise (fancy word) their methods of travelling. I know I have in the past. People making 14 ADR's in a 7 day trip often do this just as much as people making no ADR's do.

Just humans, we like to judge. Or judge people judging others... hang on I've confused myself again...
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 04:56 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List