Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Mar 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mov
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

For those going in May 2020..

..What is your plan in terms of cancellations/trying to get a full refund from VH?

Our trip is still 50 days out yet (8th May) and I've contacted VH to ask for a full refund who have replied:

"We have a couple of options in place for you due to the new FCO advice. You can amend your holiday with no amendment fee to later in the year or next year or if you do not have dates in mind we can hold your money on the booking for 12 months for you to re book any time within the 12 months to different dates, just paying the difference in cost if there is a difference but no amendment fee again. Let us know what you think of the above options and we will be happy to assist."

I said we're just looking for a full refund at this point, and not to move the holiday to another date. Their reply was that as per their new policy "you will need to take the cancellation invoice to your travel insurance to be able to make a claim through your insurer." and that we would lose £2.5k if we were to cancel now.

I'm wondering if this is because we're still 50 days out from our trip? If we get closer to the trip i.e. within 30 days, would we then be entitled to a refund if the travel bans remain in place with US borders and FCO advice remains as not to travel?

Just looking for a bit of advice! Thanks
mov is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Like you we have no clue. Our plan is to let things ride and go if possible 7th May.

If that's not going to be possible we will reluctantly apply for refunds.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you need to wait until they cancel nearer the time
Old 18 Mar 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

if you want a refund you will have to wait till your dates are officially covered by the restrictions At the moment the bans only cover till mid april and while its more likely than not they will be extended until they are your holiday/flight could technically still go ahead(we can dream)so your subject to the normal cancellation policies.
Most companies are giving you the option to rebook now instead of waiting as that is better for them but they won't simply refund because you decided you don't want to go.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lorna_99
Serious Dibber

Keep in mind that if you change your dates it is highly likely that your travel insurance will not cover your new dates for any changes/cancellations related to covid-19
Since your 50 days out and the USA is closed to UK/Europe for 30 days I think you should sit tight as difficult as that is and see what happens in a few weeks. If the USA extends its closed borders to include your departure date then you are entitled to a full refund.

Edited at 03:17 PM.
lorna_99 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mov
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks for everyone's replies! Seems it's best to hold off until closer to the trip then and see what the situation is closer to the time.
mov is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Let them drive the decision 👍🏻
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Am in the same boat, will have to wait for them to cancel the flight, then you will get a full refund.

I assume they will look at all flights in the coming week or so and expect mass cancellations.
Old 18 Mar 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU68
Very Serious Dibber

I too am due to fly May 8 but my dilemma is slightly different. I only have flights with Virgin which I am not concerned about they will refund no problem if cancelled. (we were affected by the ash cloud). I have 2 different hotels booked ,one with Lastminute.com for a night and then travel republic for 5 nights. Both paid on CC so can use chargeback if all else fails. My concern is my AMI rental that has just a $500 deposit paid by CC and the balance due Apr 9 for $1800 to be paid (as agreed) by bank transfer. They sent me a reminder the weekend to pay. If I cancel before 30 days i will lose deposit unless its rebooked for the same duration. If its after 30 days I will forfeit all money paid ,again unless rebooked.I know I have travel insurance but as the balance is paid after the bans/advisory i am concerned they would use that as a loophole for non-payment. Have tried to contact the rental company with a request to maybe delay my final payment to see if bans extended (about 6 days) or to use my deposit for a later booking.. That was 5 days ago so hoping to hear from them at some point.
LOU68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Hughseysar
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mov View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies! Seems it's best to hold off until closer to the trip then and see what the situation is closer to the time.
We are in exactly the same situation as you, due to fly on May 7th and everything booked with VH .. we want a full refund aswell or will lose 11k !
Think we all just have to wait and when the restrictions cover our holiday we will be able to get a full refund. VH will have not choice then and they physically will not be able to give us what we have paid for !
I don’t think it’s going to be easy though
Hughseysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List