Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Sep 14, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Miami to Orlando break of journey

So far just have flights booked to Miami for back end of June next year. Blank page as far as planning goes but I was looking at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for a night. I'm now wondering about making it two nights so we can have a chill before driving up to Orlando. Just wondered what people think about Fort Lauderdale as a short stop. Any better places in that area? Also don't want to spend a fortune as it is essentially just a break of journey.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 14, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
So far just have flights booked to Miami for back end of June next year. Blank page as far as planning goes but I was looking at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for a night. I'm now wondering about making it two nights so we can have a chill before driving up to Orlando. Just wondered what people think about Fort Lauderdale as a short stop. Any better places in that area? Also don't want to spend a fortune as it is essentially just a break of journey.
If it were me and it was an Orlando / Park holiday I would stay at Miami airport and leave at 6am the next morning (you will likely wake very early anyway due to the time difference), drive up US27 to the WDW area in 4 hours. Stop for a quick breakfast at Clewiston. This is a fairly easy drive.
We have done this option several times.

However, if you want to take in FL for a few days, then go for it.

So it depends on what you actually want to do.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 14, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks you that's sort of what I was originally thinking but that's partly the problem...haven't got a definite idea. I'm trying to get input from dw and dd as to what they want to do but at the moment I'm losing their interest due to the fact we are getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks... my problem is I like to browse so keep finding ideas. Cheers
Old 21 Sep 14, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
If it were me and it was an Orlando / Park holiday I would stay at Miami airport and leave at 6am the next morning (you will likely wake very early anyway due to the time difference), drive up US27 to the WDW area in 4 hours. Stop for a quick breakfast at Clewiston. This is a fairly easy drive.
We have done this option several times.

However, if you want to take in FL for a few days, then go for it.

So it depends on what you actually want to do.
That's what we are doing. Stopping at the airport and leaving early for the drive, getting food on the way.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 14, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
We drove from Miami to Orlando and back this year. If I were doing it again I would stay in FFL for a couple of days, really lovely place. Have a look at the Marina Hilton and the views across the port. I have no idea what the beach area is like there, as we only stopped for an hour at the above hotel on the way home. Our friends stayed for 2 days and loved the area.

On the way up we called in at the disney hotel by the beach, the name escapes me. That beach was breathtaking, but not a lot going on nearby.

There is more to Florida than the mouse, the trouble is,we all love the mouse and want to get there ASAP.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 14, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Sorry to jump in but can I ask, what hotel is best to stay at if you just want a bed for the night at Miami airport?
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 14, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Sorry to jump in but can I ask, what hotel is best to stay at if you just want a bed for the night at Miami airport?
We have used the Sofitel at the airport and it was fine for us.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 14, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post

We drove from Miami to Orlando and back this year. If I were doing it again I would stay in FFL for a couple of days, really lovely place. Have a look at the Marina Hilton and the views across the port. I have no idea what the beach area is like there, as we only stopped for an hour at the above hotel on the way home. Our friends stayed for 2 days and loved the area.

On the way up we called in at the disney hotel by the beach, the name escapes me. That beach was breathtaking, but not a lot going on nearby.

There is more to Florida than the mouse, the trouble is,we all love the mouse and want to get there ASAP.
This is my issue, this morning I thought, stay near airport/at airport then I got this idea that we could get an hour or so into the journey and thats where I looked at Fort Lauderdale. What I found intrigued me and it looks a nice place so now I don't know. It probably still depends upon other factors as we still don't have a definite plan yet for our time in Orlando. The Hilton you mentioned looks very nice btw Food for thought..
Old 21 Sep 14, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ghints
Trainee Dibber

Thanks for the post and the helpful replies.

We are doing exactly the same this year and will certainly stay over in Miami for the first night. Just wondered - is Hwy 27 the easiest/quickest route up to the Mouse, or whether I95 and then across on either the 60 or 192 is quicker? Any tolls?

Also, any other (better) places to stop on the way up than FL if we were spending a couple of days?

WDW - 1980's x4, Indian Ridge 91, 99, Sarasota/Sanibel 95
Chatham Park 01, Tuscan Ridge 07, 09, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23

DLP - New York 97, 11, Newport Bay 06, 08(x2), Sequoia Lodge 09, 17, 18, 19, 22

California - 03
ghints is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 14, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
rosered
slightly serious Dibber

We are visiting my DD in Palm Beach Gardens which is a bit further up the coast , will be exploring the area quite a bit so will try and write up a bit about it when I get back,won't be until end of November though.

The Disney hotel that has been mentioned is at Vero Beach.
rosered is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread