Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 9 Jun 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Itinerary with four year olds

My last 6 trips to WDW have been as adults. I found working out an itinerary fairly easy.

Next May it’s going to be myself, my daughter and four year old grandson.

George, my grandson, at the moment is a five o’clock riser and in bed by 7pm.

Obviously who knows what it will be next year, so I’m planning two Itineraries.

How to you schedule ADRs. Do you tend to have TS at lunch time, or character breaksfast. I’m hoping, he’ll have a reasonable nap in the afternoon ( I’ll want one ).

Any ideas on how those with little ones Plan their park days etc. I’d be grateful.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

I would personally book the lunch time character meals, but early lunch by 12. After food then they may well sleep
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Tesh11
Serious Dibber

We took my son when he was 4, we were undecided wether to take a pushchair and in end we did thank goodness. It meant we could still get a good day at the parks and when he was getting tired so he could just fall asleep in it and then he was fine for dinner reservations. Although I did find we didn't manage to stay late for as many fireworks as I'd hoped.
Going back this year and he's now 7 which I'm actually finding a bit harder to plan as he's still not going to be able to do a load of walking in the heat so limiting more to half days at parks/half days rests.
I would probably rely on him having a nap in the afternoon and plan breakfast and dinner reservations

Edited at 03:56 PM.
Tesh11 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Here now, with a 4 year old and 2 year old. Best advice is don’t worry too much about ADRs and FPS. Book what you think, but they’re so easy to change on the day. We’ve managed to get everything we want day before or on the day.

It’s not just what they are like that day, but how they sleep, how tired they are the day after, whether they’re hungry or not etc, so really hard to plan.

Just did Hollywood and Vine at lunch and neither of ours ate much at all, due to excitement.

Defo take buggy.
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I would not expect to do too many sit down meals with a 4 year old and make sure those you do will allow him to get up out of his seat if need be (not formal, not closely packed). You may be able to get through the meal but other dinners will appreciate it if you consider them.

I took my grandson at 11 months and he tended to nap in the stroller. I don't think he ever napped in the crib although he slept well at night.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Thank you
From a grateful grandmother
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I would not expect to do too many sit down meals with a 4 year old and make sure those you do will allow him to get up out of his seat if need be (not formal, not closely packed). You may be able to get through the meal but other dinners will appreciate it if you consider them.

I took my grandson at 11 months and he tended to nap in the stroller. I don't think he ever napped in the crib although he slept well at night.
I’m not to worried about sit downs as he is well used to eating out in restaurants. It’s more the timings
Old 9 Jun 18, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Watergirl View Post
Here now, with a 4 year old and 2 year old. Best advice is don’t worry too much about ADRs and FPS. Book what you think, but they’re so easy to change on the day. We’ve managed to get everything we want day before or on the day.

It’s not just what they are like that day, but how they sleep, how tired they are the day after, whether they’re hungry or not etc, so really hard to plan.

Just did Hollywood and Vine at lunch and neither of ours ate much at all, due to excitement.

Defo take buggy.
Thanks. That’s good to know. I’ll take your advice prepare but prepare to change
Old 9 Jun 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jamcat
Having Dinner with Goofy

As above, table service ADRs at lunchtimes (character meals when possible), counter services dinners which can then be flexible. I would take a pushchair even if not using one at home-for naps or rests. Maybe fastpass some character meets rather than just rides? Enjoy-it'll be amazing
jamcat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

Keep meals times to as normal a time as at home is my advice. The first time we went my youngest was 4. For the first few days as you know you'll be up early so I would book breakfast ADR's, after a few day's maybe some lunch ones, then by the 2nd week teatime ones, I did between 5 - 6pm as any later and although they are awake mine just weren't interested in eating a proper meal. That's when the QS came in handy as we could get stuff when hungry.
My intention was the afternoon breaks too so that they could have a nap - didn't happen they amazed me with the stamina. I didn't take a buggy although I was prepared to buy a cheap one whilst there if needed - they just kept going! Even if we left the park early we ended up in the pool. We did however take lots of refreshment breaks, taking time out to sit and have a cold drink in places with air con to revive us.
They usually fell asleep on the drive home.
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List