Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Yes to be honest I’m not too keen on plan c or d which are a week in Portugal or a short break in the Isle of Wight. Plan B would be moving the summer hol to the October half term as Hope and Sam both have 2 weeks off so we could condense the whole thing down from 3. Actually plan C would be no summer or October holiday, instead Jim and I going away to Washington DC for 5 nights in November like we had planned for my birthday then we have our family holiday skiing at Christmas. It’s the not knowing that driving me potty, I just want to know! (along with the rest of the world of course &#128514
Do you think you’ll try and get away somewhere else if all else fails? It’s just so depressing thinking of it isn’t it!
Not that my opinion counts for your holiday planning but I reckon you should stick with your DC plan for your birthday in November even if the summer trip doesn't go ahead. I really think you would love DC. I wholeheartedly agree that the not knowing is driving me potty too. But, then again, not knowing is better than the idea that it definitely won't go ahead.

I have no alternative at all if the trip this summer doesn't happen. It's exceptionally unlikely to be shifted back to the end of August due to Dave's annual leave. His annual leave entitlement is the major issue for us really with rescheduling or having other trips. So, we already have the week in Canada booked for October half term and I'm not changing that, if we can fly then we will go and it won't turn into a disney trip instead. Dave has always wanted to go there, his grandfather was French Canadian, so I wouldn't want to bump it for a Florida trip instead.

The most likely thing if this summer gets cancelled is that I re book for next summer. I doubt there will be a Florida holiday before then.

I suppose then the next question is what do we do with the time Dave already has booked off in summer if we can't go to Florida. That's not something I've really thought about. I guess I figured if we can fly then we'd be on our way to Orlando, but there is the possibility that short haul Europe flights are opened up before long haul. Or that Europe is more relaxed with border control than the US. I'm being a bit petulant though and not wanting to go on a European beach holiday. We've done them before, when the kids were little we did Majorca twice, Greece, Malta, Gran Canaria and Turkey. They were great, but I don't want to do them again. I want my Orlando trip and nothing else! I suspect though when push comes to shove the holiday funds will be burning a hole in my pocket.

It crossed my mind that I could put this years money towards next years holiday and perhaps upgrade to a deluxe hotel for the whole trip or even the deluxe dining plan. But at the moment even that idea doesn't appeal as I just want my trip that I've planned. Definitely a bit of petulance isn't there?

We fly 11 weeks from today, sometimes that feels like loads of time for things to be getting back to normal and others it feels like no time at all and it's utterly ridiculous to think we could go.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Today's 'announcement' hasn't been much help has it?!

Who is Boris telling to go back to work!? He has to be more specific, surely the majority of people at home are there because their workplaces have been closed by the government!?

We are still supposedly in lockdown here in Scotland but I get the feeling that some have tired of it and now suiting themselves. I had to go to B&Q today (we neeed line marking paint to social distance the back of house area at work), I had to queue for an hour outside. At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, what essential items were all of these other people shopping for!? You can't say we are in 'lockdown' but B&Q is open, because people will go simply because they can, it's now a family day out.

If B&Q can open with social distancing in place, what difference is there to any other kind of store in a retail park where they can create designated queuing areas?!

Ireland's exit strategy is much clearer, I fail to see why we can't have anything more specific.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Today's 'announcement' hasn't been much help has it?!

Who is Boris telling to go back to work!? He has to be more specific, surely the majority of people at home are there because their workplaces have been closed by the government!?

We are still supposedly in lockdown here in Scotland but I get the feeling that some have tired of it and now suiting themselves. I had to go to B&Q today (we neeed line marking paint to social distance the back of house area at work), I had to queue for an hour outside. At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, what essential items were all of these other people shopping for!? You can't say we are in 'lockdown' but B&Q is open, because people will go simply because they can, it's now a family day out.

If B&Q can open with social distancing in place, what difference is there to any other kind of store in a retail park where they can create designated queuing areas?!

Ireland's exit strategy is much clearer, I fail to see why we can't have anything more specific.
No it really hasn't helped much has it? I didn't really think it would be much of a help. I had kind of thought that it would be clearer on the idea of travel, perhaps saying that there were would be no travel for leisure until insert date of choice. I think there is very little chance of the trip going ahead. But the coffin hasn't been entirely nailed shut. I do understand why Boris stated if so many times, of course moving through each phase is dependent on R falling and death rates falling and the capacity of the NHS. I had hoped the detail would be published at the same time as the briefing as the briefing just raised more questions than it had answers to. The wording of some parts was very odd. I will be reading the promised 50 page document very carefully. I don't understand what was meant by students studying for exams next year will get some time with their teacher means...this is very vague.

I can understand the idea of different locations in the UK having a different timeline, it seems to have annoyed some people that Scotland is not following the same opening up strategy. But surely that makes sense? If different parts of the country are at different stages in the outbreak I wouldn't want those areas to be forced to ease lockdown.

I do agree that one person's essential shopping is another person's luxury and we have not been to any shops at all. Garden centres etc have remained open, not for looking around, but for collection and delivery. I've been the only one of us to go shopping and I only go once a week, whatever I can't buy stays unbought and we do without. I doubt that the line you waited in to get into B&Q was full solely of people who had plumbing or electrical problems that were urgent and needed sorting out. I'm sure there were people who wanted to do a bit of DIY. I doubt it was essential DIY.

I think we will have to live with social distancing for a long time and I don't mind that. Max could really do with some new shorts and t shirts as he seems to have out grown last year's stuff. I would quite like to shop for some of those semi essential items but the clothes shops are all shut.

Maybe the detail behind the announcement will offer clarity, but I have to say I am a little despondent today. I'm less and less hopeful.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

The rules all seem a bit fuzzy now, after last night's announcement. I agree with you both, not enough clarity. I also felt that Boris should have made it clear that the more relaxed rules are for England only, given that the devolved governments have all announced further 3 week lockdowns. I worry that after watching the announcement, the people of Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales will start using a mixture of the rules to suit themselves.

We're like you Abby, haven't been near any shop other than the supermarket where we go once a week. We both go in, but as separate people with Neil doing our shopping and I do my Mums. I also agree that to spend time with family now would be such a boost for us all. When I drop Mum's shopping off I run in, wipe it all down, put it away and then leave, wiping my way out. My Mum hovers by the living room door and I always have to ask her to step back so I can pass safely, more than 2 metres away. It breaks my heart as I'm the only person she sees all week and it's only as I dash in and out of her house. I'd love to sit with her, even for 10 minutes and have a proper chat. We shout bits of conversation through the door as I put her shopping away but it's not the same.

Not wanting to be a damp squib about holidays, but I think it's looking more unlikely now that there will be any summer travel. Of course, we don't know for sure and my fingers are still firmly crossed for you.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi Abby
Well, at the end of last week I was feeling very hopeful. I had moved my flights to BA at a later date (end July) so really thought I was in with a chance. Also moved the villa and cat and dog sitters! Am now worried that the quarantine rules will make summer travel impossible Really not sure what to do now... balance due at the end of this week and I don't want to give up on this summer until I absolutely have to BUT it's a lot of money to pay out! Just said to DH that I know I would be absolutely gutted if the flight went and Disney was open but I'll also be pretty gutted if I spend summer having to chase refunds for our cancelled holiday... Debating a European or UK holiday but not sure where the safest place to visit would be this year...
Anyway, enough waffling. I guess we need to understand more about the quarantine rules and hopefully that will be clearer by the end of the week...
Take care and let's keep our fingers and toes firmly crossed
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

I totally agree Abby, the whole thing was so vague, we felt more confused than anything to be honest. Same as the whole you can meet ONE person from another household. So Chris can see his mum or his dad but not both together? Seems rather silly to me, especially if they're in the same household.

The whole returning to school has me baffled also ... reception and year 1 ... I mean seriously? What 4/5/6 year old completely understands social distancing? I did laugh at something a few friends shared on social media about how schools couldn't stop the spread of nits so no hope for social distancing Technically from what has been said Thomas can go back to school from 1 June, not sure how we feel. The kid's are itching to be back though ... such a hard choice.

It all got a little more real here today, a doctor from a local surgery has died from Covid-19 after being ill for over a month absolutely awful, it really hits home when it's so close.

How are you all? X
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Well, after lots and lots of soul searching we have decided to cancel the villa tonight and will be taking the credit note for our deposit later this week... absolutely gutted but couldn't face trying to get all the monies refunded if everything was cancelled later down the line. Abby - you have kept me motivated for weeks so I really hope you get to go and live Disney for us all this summer. I'm trying to get a Center Parcs booking instead and really hoping that will be open in August. Can't wait to hear about your Canada holiday. Where are you visiting? We have been to Vancouver several times and absolutely loved it. We are now focussing on Disney at Christmas and Easter so can't moan at all (although I do want to cry a lot right now)... Am upgrading everything I can to make them extra special and then planning another long villa stay in 2022! Now got to try to get refunds for Cirque Du Soleil etc Take care all and Abby really really hope you get to go!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Well, after lots and lots of soul searching we have decided to cancel the villa tonight and will be taking the credit note for our deposit later this week... absolutely gutted but couldn't face trying to get all the monies refunded if everything was cancelled later down the line. Abby - you have kept me motivated for weeks so I really hope you get to go and live Disney for us all this summer. I'm trying to get a Center Parcs booking instead and really hoping that will be open in August. Can't wait to hear about your Canada holiday. Where are you visiting? We have been to Vancouver several times and absolutely loved it. We are now focussing on Disney at Christmas and Easter so can't moan at all (although I do want to cry a lot right now)... Am upgrading everything I can to make them extra special and then planning another long villa stay in 2022! Now got to try to get refunds for Cirque Du Soleil etc Take care all and Abby really really hope you get to go!
So sorry to hear this.

The waiting for news is the worst thing and now you can move on with your decision made. Christmas will be absolutely wonderful.

You definitely seem like you're looking at things as positively as you can, I hope you have amazing trips when they finally role around.

I think that refunds will be an absolute minefield. If the government bring in the 14 day quarantine but allow all travel then the airlines can keep all of our money as we'll have been the ones that cancelled!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
The rules all seem a bit fuzzy now, after last night's announcement. I agree with you both, not enough clarity. I also felt that Boris should have made it clear that the more relaxed rules are for England only, given that the devolved governments have all announced further 3 week lockdowns. I worry that after watching the announcement, the people of Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales will start using a mixture of the rules to suit themselves.

We're like you Abby, haven't been near any shop other than the supermarket where we go once a week. We both go in, but as separate people with Neil doing our shopping and I do my Mums. I also agree that to spend time with family now would be such a boost for us all. When I drop Mum's shopping off I run in, wipe it all down, put it away and then leave, wiping my way out. My Mum hovers by the living room door and I always have to ask her to step back so I can pass safely, more than 2 metres away. It breaks my heart as I'm the only person she sees all week and it's only as I dash in and out of her house. I'd love to sit with her, even for 10 minutes and have a proper chat. We shout bits of conversation through the door as I put her shopping away but it's not the same.

Not wanting to be a damp squib about holidays, but I think it's looking more unlikely now that there will be any summer travel. Of course, we don't know for sure and my fingers are still firmly crossed for you.
I feel for you, and your mum, about doing the shopping. I'm so lucky that we've had good weather down here and I've been able to put the shopping on the doorstep and jump back, but then stand on my parents driveway while they stand in the doorway and have a chat for 20 minutes. It's not much, but it's more than others have had. I'm lucky that we live nearby. I suppose I've been breaking the rules by doing that. I was so hoping the bubble idea would be announced. But we will have to wait for that.

I agree it is even more unlikely that our trip will go ahead. Given that hospitailty in the uk won't be up and running until 1st July at the earliest I fear we will run out of time.

Hi Abby
Well, at the end of last week I was feeling very hopeful. I had moved my flights to BA at a later date (end July) so really thought I was in with a chance. Also moved the villa and cat and dog sitters! Am now worried that the quarantine rules will make summer travel impossible Really not sure what to do now... balance due at the end of this week and I don't want to give up on this summer until I absolutely have to BUT it's a lot of money to pay out! Just said to DH that I know I would be absolutely gutted if the flight went and Disney was open but I'll also be pretty gutted if I spend summer having to chase refunds for our cancelled holiday... Debating a European or UK holiday but not sure where the safest place to visit would be this year...
Anyway, enough waffling. I guess we need to understand more about the quarantine rules and hopefully that will be clearer by the end of the week...
Take care and let's keep our fingers and toes firmly crossed
A shame that the moved flights weren't enough for you. It's been so hard waiting hasn't it. I'm not sure about a European holiday I suppose the bonus of France is that there would be no quarantine when coming back home so that would be good. I don't know, I can't focus on it right now though.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I totally agree Abby, the whole thing was so vague, we felt more confused than anything to be honest. Same as the whole you can meet ONE person from another household. So Chris can see his mum or his dad but not both together? Seems rather silly to me, especially if they're in the same household.

The whole returning to school has me baffled also ... reception and year 1 ... I mean seriously? What 4/5/6 year old completely understands social distancing? I did laugh at something a few friends shared on social media about how schools couldn't stop the spread of nits so no hope for social distancing Technically from what has been said Thomas can go back to school from 1 June, not sure how we feel. The kid's are itching to be back though ... such a hard choice.

It all got a little more real here today, a doctor from a local surgery has died from Covid-19 after being ill for over a month absolutely awful, it really hits home when it's so close.

How are you all? X
It really is odd isn't it? As I said to Lynda I have been seeing mum and dad once a week with their shopping, although this weekend they said they didn't need anything as they had got a delivery coming. I was really upset as I've loved having a reason to visit them once a week.

I've had so many meetings and discussed so many plans for how to provide face to face for year 10 and 12 in June. I think we are much more fortunate than primaries as there seems to be lots more leeway with secondaries as we dont have to have them in all the time. So we should be able to come up with a plan that will work. It's just difficult to sort out, while trying to do the online lessons, answer kids questions and mark their work. I'm a bit tired, I've not really been sleeping.

Some days I really think I'll wake up from this nightmare and realise it wasn't real. But that of course is futile too.

Well I hope your Centre Parcs trip does come off. I'm so sorry to hear you've cancelled, but I do understand. It's not an easy decision is it? If I'm honest I've not had much time to do anything about the holiday or even to think about it. Partly that's a defence mechanism as when I do think about it i know we will have to cancel. I can't see it happening.

You said in your other post that you'd be gutted if the plane went and you weren't on it. That's exactly how I feel, but there's not a single part of me that realistically thinks that will happen. It's the irrational, emotional part of me that doesn't want it to be all over now.

As Colette says Christmas will be amazing, you've got lots of fun trips to look forward to, so take a bit of time to be miserable now you're allowed some wallowing, but then think of the wonderful things to come.

Our trip in October half term is to Toronto and Niagara falls. We've never been to Canada and it will be pretty awesome. It's a 6 day trip with 4 in the city and 2 days with a falls view room. I've booked up a hornblower cruise and I do think it will be special. If it goes ahead? It's difficult to know about anything.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
So sorry to hear this.

The waiting for news is the worst thing and now you can move on with your decision made. Christmas will be absolutely wonderful.

You definitely seem like you're looking at things as positively as you can, I hope you have amazing trips when they finally role around.

I think that refunds will be an absolute minefield. If the government bring in the 14 day quarantine but allow all travel then the airlines can keep all of our money as we'll have been the ones that cancelled!
Yes this is what I'm now worrying about. So, I've paid for the flights in full. That was £2000. I've paid for the 2 DVC rental, who h must be about £1500, I can't exactly remember I feel like they were around £700 each. Those are the two biggies that I've paid for, compared to those the travel insurance, ESTAs and Premier Inn are peanuts and probably come to about £150 total. I haven't paid the £6000 Disney balance, all that's been paid is the £200 deposit. I don't want to be the one that calls it, I want them or the Government to make the decision that it can't happen. That's the bit I'm struggling with I think. But I also don't want to hand over more money as I'm sure it won't be easy to get the other money back. So, at the moment I think I may just ignore the balance deadline which is 3 weeks away. I know it's silly and I know it won't really help me but I'm not sure I can face the phone call. Maybe within that time things will be clearer, but I've said that before so i don't even really believe that. I know I'm going to have to make the decision myself, I suppose I already I have, I just don't want to sort it all out.

Old 13 May 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

We were exactly like that about knowing our holiday probably wouldn’t happen but not wanting to actively do anything. I feel better now the flights were cancelled, we got our £150 really quickly from BA. All we’ve lost so far is £35. So I know we are really lucky, although I’m not sure we might have such a positive experience with the discovery cove ultimates through OAT.

It’s great you have an October trip booked to look forward to as well, everything changes so fast that who knows what the situation will be 5 months away.

I’m glad your feeling positive about the schools being called back, I’m fairly glad we don’t have to face that yet as with a class of 32 9 year olds in a jam packed (750) Victorian building that’s already bursting at the seams I’ve no idea how any of it would work for us. I’m wondering if we will be August as we break up 26th June this year.

Buggles94 I can’t rave enough about a Christmas trip, only problem is all that extra magic spoils you for future trips.