Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

When our cat was a kitten she wouldn't pee and poop in the same tray so we had to have 2 trays. Also when she was very new to the house if she was upstairs it was like she forgot the tray was downstairs or just couldn't hold it so she used to pee in the bath... easy to clean up . she used to cry to tell us after she did it as if she knew it wasn't right.
wherever he wee's don't uses bleach as I used to spray bathroom cleaner with bleach in the bath and even when rinsed thoroughly it seems she was drawn to the bleach.
Good luck, persevere with it, he will learn quickly enough

PS - I know what you you mean about kitten poo.. how can something so sweet produce something that smelly
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Well, I think (hope) we might have cracked this with a second litter tray next to his other one. He had at least 3 wees in it yesterday so it seems he just wanted one for wee and one for poop! Hoping this continues.
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Keep persevering... its just one of those things that can take time. We used to have 2 cats, 1 got it instantly, the other... well, not so quick!
Old 21 Jun 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

May have spoken too soon he’s just pooped in the wee tray! Confusing creatures aren’t they?
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lu Lu View Post
May have spoken too soon he’s just pooped in the wee tray! Confusing creatures aren’t they?
At least it was in the tray...
Old 21 Jun 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

Try searching Youtube for the Kitten Lady. Shes amazing and there is so much advice on her channel (also a ton of kitten cuteness from newborn till adoption day)
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

I used to foster for the RSPCA, and also have my own cats.

The foster cats were kept in a separate room with a litter tray. I found the wooden pellets to be best, all the cats/kittens I had used the tray. With the kittens, I would regularly visit the room, and just pop them on the litter tray periodically. I also used to kind of move their paws as if they were digging, as cats usually do this afterwards. Also, clean up any poo from the tray as soon as you can, cats don't like a dirty litter tray (would you like a dirty toilet?).

I fostered for quite a while and don't really remember any problems (other than one poor kitten who got a tummy bug and pooped everywhere round the room. Had to get rid of the carpet, but luckily the RSPCA paid for me to replace it with vinyl, which was much better!).

I had to stop fostering as I had loads of surgery and it just wasn't practical, but I really enjoyed doing it.

Good luck with your little kitty, I'm sure they'll figure it out soon
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
fragile_uk
Looking for my Ears

I have just been through all this - They are 6 months now. In the end here is how I solved it. changed the litter from catsan to a much finer one (way cheaper too lol). they didn't like the hard lumps of of the catsan to stand on (but did use it fine for poo). Also I put orange peel in the corners where they were trying to pee. As well as that if younger than 10 weeks stimulation near that area can make them pee, so if they are crawling up a soft cover or over clothes it may make them just go. (that is how the mother cat make it happen). One would like to continue to pee in the corner of our bedroom (typical the only room with a carpet) so we have put a plastic lid over that bit and don't allow them in there unsupervised. But apart from that they are happy with their cheep litter now.
It took a while and I have never struggled with our previous cats - 3rd time we have had kittens . Had forgotten how much work having just lost our very sedate old laddies last year lol.

Edited at 02:58 PM.
fragile_uk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List