Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jul 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Thoughtful gift ideas please

My childhood friend is having a terrible time at the moment. Her mum is not managing chemo very well and now wants to stop. In fact, she is so poorly with it she wants to die.
We were best friends growing up and as she was an only child (no dad either, just her & her mum) I was always at her house and incredibly close to her mum. Still am although I don’t see that much of her anymore.

Due to lockdown my only support for my childhood friend has been through text and phone calls.
Nothing I can do, or buy, can make things any better but I want to show that I care.

At the present time I can only think to send my friend flowers through the post.
As for her mum, my heart brakes, she was always a strong, wonderful woman! Being a single mum in the 70’s was different to now.
She wont want flowers as she is too poorly to tend to them, no chocolate as she is too sick to eat.
Any thoughts, ideas etc ?
Thank you
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie 12
Excited about Disney

Mobile

What about a nice photo frame with a picture of you and friend and her mam off earlier happier times just trying to think what I would like if not something like nice pjs bed socks etc
minnie 12 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

For your friends mum I would just send a lovely hand made card with your find memories of her, if she is very poorly words are so important

I lost my friend to cancer in May and couldn't see her but I used to send texts for her daughter to read to her

My Sister in law is also having a terrible time on chemo and is staying with her daughter, she just wants to sleep a lot and be left alone right now so Claire relays messages of love and support.

For your friend, a bath pamper pack so she can relax and recharge in between caring for her mum
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A nice blanket or cushion. You can get some nice photo ones now
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

How about some lovely hand cream or moisturizer? So she can spoil herself even just for a couple of minutes.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I lost my Dad to cancer earlier this year and my friend made me a lovely hamper with bath bombs, chocolate, favourite coffee and a few magazines. It was the thought that I loved, she knew me well enough to put my favourites in and it was well appreciated.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lilly3580 View Post
I lost my Dad to cancer earlier this year and my friend made me a lovely hamper with bath bombs, chocolate, favourite coffee and a few magazines. It was the thought that I loved, she knew me well enough to put my favourites in and it was well appreciated.
Maybe this kind of thing is better than flowers?

I am probably over thinking it but I am concerned over flowers as you basically watch then die.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
For your friends mum I would just send a lovely hand made card with your find memories of her, if she is very poorly words are so important

I lost my friend to cancer in May and couldn't see her but I used to send texts for her daughter to read to her

My Sister in law is also having a terrible time on chemo and is staying with her daughter, she just wants to sleep a lot and be left alone right now so Claire relays messages of love and support.

For your friend, a bath pamper pack so she can relax and recharge in between caring for her mum
I am so sorry 💕
Old 2 Jul 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by minnie 12 View Post
What about a nice photo frame with a picture of you and friend and her mam off earlier happier times just trying to think what I would like if not something like nice pjs bed socks etc
This would be lovely. Unfortunately we were extremely poor kids. Photos were rare as non of us had cameras.
Old 2 Jul 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

You sound like a lovely thoughtful friend. I don't have any ideas not already mentioned, but I think a card or letter to your friends mum, similar to what you have posted about how important she is to you, and the memories you treasure would be a lovely thought.
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List