Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a landline.
No - never had one 15 3.77%
No - chose to give it up 56 14.07%
Yes - hardly ever used 263 66.08%
Yes - use it a fair bit 39 9.80%
Yes - use it all the time 25 6.28%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Aug 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
As far as I know with the exception of some fibre providers a landline is required for a broadband connection
Hi BB, made use of sisters 4G mobile broadband router hub at ma's, quality/signal impressive. Router can be used anywhere in the UK/where Three roam, altho it isn't unlimited when overseas.
Old 7 Aug 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi BB, made use of sisters 4G mobile broadband router hub at ma's, quality/signal impressive. Router can be used anywhere in the UK/where Three roam, altho it isn't unlimited when overseas.
I bought a WiFi hotspot which has a sim card in which I find useful. So I can connect from any wireless device to the Internet even if i am in the middle of a field
Old 8 Aug 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

No but we have to ‘pay’ for one as the package with a line connection is cheaper with Virgin media?
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

We have a landline but only for broadband. We dont even own a phone that could be plugged in and havent had one for at least 6 years
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ok. So I have tried talking to sky. Really not clear whether it is a requirement to have a landline any more. Just seems.like a pointless waste of space now.

Lots of us seem to be paying for it and not using it though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Thank you all. Very helpful.

Am currently with sky fibre will see if we need to keep it for the broadband.

I had it in my mind that it also made a difference to things like credit scoring and banks etc ? Or is this just a sign of my age. It used to matter but no longer ?
Sky’s latest packages have line rental bundled in with the broadband price . Lots of people don’t even bother having a phone plugged in (or believe the BB won’t work unless they have a phone plugged in , which is incorrect) Makes no difference to credit scoring anymore.
With homeworking some companies have insisted people connect with Ethernet rather than WiFi as it’s more secure (WiFi is easier to hack than a cabled connection) my company have always insisted upon it... so my master socket is in my office . I have overseas calls included with my call package so if I need to call the US for booking hotels direct it’s handy , I used to use it to natter to US friends but tend to use WhatsApp etc for voice calls nowadays.
When we lost power to the house for three days (gas leak outside , when the gas company came to fix it , first thing they managed to do was cut the main power cable in the area , National power couldn’t fix it til the gas leak was fixed ) the landline was the only thing that worked. As well as food vans for Free hot food and drink they also provided a charging centre, basically a van full of charging points for mobile devices though .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Ok. So I have tried talking to sky. Really not clear whether it is a requirement to have a landline any more. Just seems.like a pointless waste of space now.

Lots of us seem to be paying for it and not using it though.
The cost (say £27 for fibre) includes broadband and line rental with pay as you go calls , it’s only extra if you are using the line for outgoing calls eg you can opt to pay £5 extra for evening and weekend calls or £10 for 24/7 calls (both to to standard U.K. landlines and mobiles). For most people who already have “free” calls on their mobiles and only have the landline as backup they don’t need to pay the extra.
They days of paying £18.99 for basic line rental and then extra on top for BB are pretty much gone now.
No requirement to have a physical phone plugged in but maybe keep one tucked away in case you have gas board workers as daft as ours ! I do hear a lot “I keep the landline plugged in as my parents/in-laws prefer to call the landline “ as there is no charge to receive calls only make them it makes no difference.

Edited at 08:54 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Thank you. Re the first point. Possibly. I am certainly of an age 😂

Re the fibre to cabinet v fibre to house haven't a scooby - will have to check with sky I presume. Will do so tomorrow.
Fibre to the premises (FTTP) rather than FTTC (to the cabinet) both come with line rental currently with Sky. No need to plug the phone in with either, only difference is you plug the phone into the hub with FTTP..
Old 2 Sep 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The cost (say £27 for fibre) includes broadband and line rental with pay as you go calls , it’s only extra if you are using the line for outgoing calls eg you can opt to pay £5 extra for evening and weekend calls or £10 for 24/7 calls (both to to standard U.K. landlines and mobiles). For most people who already have “free” calls on their mobiles and only have the landline as backup they don’t need to pay the extra.
They days of paying £18.99 for basic line rental and then extra on top for BB are pretty much gone now.
No requirement to have a physical phone plugged in but maybe keep one tucked away in case you have gas board workers as daft as ours ! I do hear a lot “I keep the landline plugged in as my parents/in-laws prefer to call the landline “ as there is no charge to receive calls only make them it makes no difference.
Thanks duchy. Very helpful.

Can I clarify though, I have to pay for the landline rental as part of the broadband package? I cannot just pay for broadband bit? No getting out of the line rental bit at all?

If not it just means that the broadband is 27 in reality.

And presumably those people who don't have it or have stopped it, still have it /pay for it, but don't know they do ?

As you can see, I remain slightly confused but thank you for taking the time to post. 👍. It's not your explanation it's the head it's going into 🤭
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Yes , the head has got it No getting out of it.
Yes those who don’t think they have it , do have it and don’t realise.
With Sky now you can’t even get “just the phone” it’s a combined price for both whichever bits you choose to use/don’t use. Standard BB (copper wire) is the same , you get both but obviously slower BB and is around £22