Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Nov 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We are just over the border in Devon, but we love a day out to Newquay. Trip round the tourist trap shops, good run around on the beach and a swim, lovely, but not everyone’s cup of tea! If you fancy a trip over the border, Plymouth has the National Marine Aquarium, which is good for toddlers and older children. Newquay also has a zoo, I’ve just remembered! You could go crabbing at Looe, your little boy may be a bit young for that though, but you can get good fish and chips there too and another nice Sandy beach. You can cycle the camel trail, you can hire bikes there or take your own. Cornwall is a beautiful county, you will find loads to do.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
We are just over the border in Devon, but we love a day out to Newquay. Trip round the tourist trap shops, good run around on the beach and a swim, lovely, but not everyone’s cup of tea! If you fancy a trip over the border, Plymouth has the National Marine Aquarium, which is good for toddlers and older children. Newquay also has a zoo, I’ve just remembered! You could go crabbing at Looe, your little boy may be a bit young for that though, but you can get good fish and chips there too and another nice Sandy beach. You can cycle the camel trail, you can hire bikes there or take your own. Cornwall is a beautiful county, you will find loads to do.
Didn't know Newquay has a zoo as we've only been there to surf, some good options there thank you!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
That would probably be the Lappa Valley Railway in Newquay. If you consider that as an option, then the Zoo is very good also and you would kill two birds with one stone.
I was just coming on to say we used to go to Cornwall a lot when my two boys were small and every time we’d visit the Lappa Valley Railway, it was easiest our favourite day each trip! 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Didn't know Newquay has a zoo as we've only been there to surf, some good options there thank you!
It’s a decent Zoo, just by the railway viaduct and with an indoor pool right by the entrance. It isn’t on the scale of Paignton or Bristol, but has Lions, Otters and stuff.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Following as we have also booked St Ives Bay Holiday Park for next August. Not been to Cornwall before so lots of great advice on here, even though we are going with teens, not toddlers.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
Following as we have also booked St Ives Bay Holiday Park for next August. Not been to Cornwall before so lots of great advice on here, even though we are going with teens, not toddlers.
You'll love the park! Its not fancy like Haven or anything but the location is stunning. And we really enjoy the site facilities like the cafe. There's a co op food in Hayle and some decent restaurants.

First time hiring a caravan for us, we usually camp! So I'm excited about that.

Our absolute favorite place in Cornwall is the Minack Theatre and Porthcurno beach below it. The beach is stunning its like one you'd find in the med, we've seen dolphins right up close to shore. I dont think we'll go this time as its not pram friendly but could definitely do it with teens. Going with a toddler will be a whole new experience for us!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

It’s a decent Zoo, just by the railway viaduct and with an indoor pool right by the entrance. It isn’t on the scale of Paignton or Bristol, but has Lions, Otters and stuff.
Thank you, small scale is probably better with a little one anyway! Is the aquarium in Newquay any good? We've seen it but never been in.
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
An alternative list for a family with teens ( in addition to the previous list).

1. Minack theatre.. on a cliff at Porthcurno. Look at the most beautiful setting in the world as the sun sets and a play is enacted in front of you. Take a picnic hamper with you (and wine). If you fancy this, then you must book very, very early.

2. Wheal Geevor. A very well preserved mine and processing sheds. You can learn the whole story of tin mining in one hit.

3. After (or before) Geevor, visit the Botallack Mines, probably one of the most iconic and well known heritage views in the country.

4. Stay a night in Bodmin Jail (Hotel opens in February). A really spooky, atmospheric place. Worth a day trip if you don’t want the Hotel.

5. Bodmin Steam Railway. Well enacted 1950s Railway where you can have a meal on board (or not).

6. Bodmin military museum. Home of the Cornwall Light Infantry. A lot of Zulu and other war stuff in here .. plus the medals of the late Harry Patch. I would suggest you look at doing all of 4, 5 and 6 in a day.

7. Cornwall Aviation museum at Newquay St Mawgan. A really good, hands on type collection and well worth a visit.. Don’t expect Hendon or Duxford!

8. Tate Modern at St Ives. Can’t tell you what is in there as I am a Philistine. .. Arty stuff, I am told!

9. A lunch at the Jamaica Inn at Bodmin Moor, either on the way in.. or out. Written about by Daphne Du Maurer.

10. A Concert at Eden project if you can get tickets (well in advance). A great backdrop and some top acts over the years.

11. Helston museum, odd weird and rustic should you be in the area.. and surprisingly big.

12. Porthcurno beach.. as good as it gets and start point of the first transatlantic cable (Museum exists) by the Great Eastern.

13. A walk on the lizard and taking in Kynance Cove.

14. I save the best for last... Kennal Vale Gunpowder Factory at Ponsanooth.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:43 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

An alternative list for a family with teens ( in addition to the previous list).

1. Minack theatre.. on a cliff at Porthcurno. Look at the most beautiful setting in the world as the sun sets and a play is enacted in front of you. Take a picnic hamper with you (and wine). If you fancy this, then you must book very, very early.

2. Wheal Geevor. A very well preserved mine and processing sheds. You can learn the whole story of tin mining in one hit.

3. After (or before) Geevor, visit the Botallack Mines, probably one of the most iconic and well known heritage views in the country.

4. Stay a night in Bodmin Jail (Hotel opens in February). A really spooky, atmospheric place. Worth a day trip if you don’t want the Hotel.

5. Bodmin Steam Railway. Well enacted 1950s Railway where you can have a meal on board (or not).

6. Bodmin military museum. Home of the Cornwall Light Infantry. A lot of Zulu and other war stuff in here .. plus the medals of the late Harry Patch. I would suggest you look at doing all of 4, 5 and 6 in a day.

7. Cornwall Aviation museum at Newquay St Mawgan. A really good, hands on type collection and well worth a visit.. Don’t expect Hendon or Duxford!

8. Tate Modern at St Ives. Can’t tell you what is in there as I am a Philistine. .. Arty stuff, I am told!

9. A lunch at the Jamaica Inn at Bodmin Moor, either on the way in.. or out. Written about by Daphne Du Maurer.

10. A Concert at Eden project if you can get tickets (well in advance). A great backdrop and some top acts over the years.

11. Helston museum, odd weird and rustic should you be in the area.. and surprisingly big.

12. Porthcurno beach.. as good as it gets and start point of the first transatlantic cable (Museum exists) by the Great Eastern.

13. A walk on the lizard and taking in Kynance Cove.
The one time we managed to get tickets for the Minack it got cancelled on the day because of a technical issue. Gutted!
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Thank you, small scale is probably better with a little one anyway! Is the aquarium in Newquay any good? We've seen it but never been in.
The one in Newquay is... ok. Although it does have a glass tunnel, You would have to lift your child to see over and into some exhibits. The National one at Plymouth on the Barbican is truly excellent. It is a question of scale. The glass walls of fish in the aquariums transfix children..and adults. You see children in buggies parked in front, just staring in fascination. (also it very near to the Plymouth Gin Distillery).

Edited at 10:01 PM.