Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 05, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Well Stu i'll ask you again seeing you won't answer the question - its really easy YES or NO

Is my thread accurate or not ? - just check it out it will only take a minute usembassy.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

My point was " thought my advice thread at the top of forum could have been added to the links on Stu's post"

So that if anyone had to apply for a Visa they could see what they're up against.

PS -
We do not allow Discussions on the Visa and Visa Waiver programme where the topic of 'Arrests and Convictions' are concerned.

Double PS - How about a Debate Forum ( ONLY KIDDING )
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...E&pagenumber=4

Looks like we have an officially sanctioned one now! TO QUOTE an un-named Dibb source

Nite nite

jj...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 05, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
JJ,
Please re read my posts you have obviously missed my answer!

I've answered your question and it's not a simple YES or NO, I've already said I DO NOT KNOW IF YOUR POST IS ACCURATE or NOT

The only way I would know was to read ALL the official documentation and compare your post with theirs. I am not about to do that and I don't expect any of our members are either. And that is the point I'm trying to get through to you.
Old 30 May 05, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post

jj

Can't you see the legal implictions to The DIBB if maybe, just maybe, your advice is wrong? Surely it is in everyone's interest that there is no ambiguity and all such advice is sought directly from official sources?

Chill out and get off the high horse you're on!
Old 31 May 05, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally posted by jjcollins
My point was " thought my advice thread at the top of forum could have been added to the links on Stu's post"
Sorry JJ,
I missed this.

So your point is that your thread is not included in my list !

My point, your thread is not the official word even if it is a straight cut and paste from the official sites. Official information can change without notification and we can't guarantee the continued accuracy of your post.

Your post is still in our forums it's just not linked to as an official post.

Anyone who is looking for visa information where Convictions or Arrests are concerned are advised to seek official information. That way there is no argument over any possible out of date or inaccurate information.
Old 31 May 05, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post

I just thought i would have a little say, i agree with what is happening with the visa thread and like Stu has said he is unsure if your advise is correct or incorrect and on such a delicate subject of visas then yes you should seek advise from the proper embassy because low and be hold if for whatever reason something happened to somebody who had taken advise on this subject through the dibb, who would that person look to blame ? (Not that i am saying anything that has been posted is incorrect but just incase)

I am looking at the process of moving to Orlando on a E1 Visa i think its called but i am unsure until i look more closely at this through the embassys own website.

JJ i do think you have taken this as an attack on your knowledge of Visas but this is by no way an attack merely theDibb stating the officially lines of enquiry which i am sure you grant is the best possible way.

Like Stu has said the thread is not being deleted and so maybe at the top a wavier should be written stating that this is not the offically information and any information or advise should be sourced through the appropriate channels.

Oh My i have rabbited enough, JJ i can understand that you are felling a little upset but by no way is this stating your advise was correct or is incorrect just pointing out that people should contact the embassy to seek advise on this very delicate subject.

Edited at 12:29 AM.
Old 31 May 05, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweeney_Todd
Imagineer

Been reading with intrest and now will have my two penneth worth...

Originally posted by Stu

Official information can change without notification and we can't guarantee the continued accuracy of your post.

Your post is still in our forums it's just not linked to as an official post.

Anyone who is looking for visa information where Convictions or Arrests are concerned are advised to seek official information. That way there is no argument over any possible out of date or inaccurate information.
I would say that the administrator of this site has a legal obligation to ensure, as far as is reasonable, that infomation contained within it is accurate. If there is particular advice (relating to visas for example) that Stu believes cannot be wholly corroborated then IMO he has an obligation to remove it or, at the very least, inform readers that the information may not be up to date and that is advisable to contact the OFFICIAL channels/authorities. If he does not and someone acts upon that information and later finds the information to be incorrect then it may be Stu that is held accountable.

I don't want an argument end of story
But you chose to continue with more than a dozen more posts on the subject. As an impartial reader it looks to me that you were not prepared to let it lie and just wanted to incite an argument with Stu!

- you make whatever changes you want Stu.
And he has!

The bottom line is that Stu runs this site - and IMO does an excellent job at that too!
I believe he should be able to make whatever changes he sees fit to promote the efficient running of this site.

Please, just agree to disagree and draw a line under it!

"Right love, shut up and listen - an ADR for two at Crystal Palace, name of Regan. Got it?"

40?...Face?...Bovvered? ...-...Our Feb 2008 Trippies
Sweeney_Todd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 05, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post

We'll seeing you won't read the official website ( which would only take 30 seconds ) i'm at a real loss why for a YEAR my thread was allowed to stay at the TOP of the FORUM with in red letters IMMPORTANT as a heading. Seeing your so worried about me giving duff advice.

Maybe you could tell me what has changed between then and now ( has the offical advice changed )- have you been sued ?

Just by bluffing your way saying you don't know enough about Visa's - it easly could be cleared up by reading a few lines on the US Embassy website.

And as for the poster who mentions "legal implictions" how about this thread then http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...ighlight=dirty

Hold on you better hire some lawyers Stu my post mighten be correct - and we wouldn't want to be sue by the Internet police

Maybe you'll have to blank out words from members who give bad reviews of Disney Restaurants.

"Some travelers may not be eligible to enter the United States visa free under the VWP. These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records"

Now for everyone please read the offical website and tell me my quote is right or wrong usembassy.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

Its really really easy and it will only take 30 seconds.

jj...
Old 31 May 05, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Ok all you doubters heres an Email i recieved last year from the U.S Embassy

This is my mail to them

I'm a member of an internet travel site and a lot of questions have been asked about Visas. First off on the I-94W form when entering the US it asks about crimes moral turpitude - then on your webste it says Under United States visa law people who have been arrested are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. So which is it - if say you have a minor conviction which doesn't come under any crime involving moral turpitude can you tick the box on the I-94W form and enter the US ? I HOPE YOU CAN HELP US OUT - as this site encourages UK people to visit the US.

Heres the reply

Visa Ineligibilities – Criminal Convictions

How will my arrest affect my eligibility to travel to the United States?

Under the US Immigration and Nationality Act anyone who has been arrested, regardless of whether the arrest resulted in a criminal conviction, is ineligible to travel to the United States without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP); they must apply for a visa before traveling. Furthermore, under United States visa law, people who have been arrested are required to declare the arrest when applying for a visa. An applicant who conceals an arrest or conviction on a visa application or Visa Waiver form, I-94W, is guilty of misrepresentation and subject to additional travel restrictions and even permanent ineligibility for admission into the United States. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are required to declare the arrest and/or conviction.

How do I apply for a visa?

You are required to schedule an appointment for an interview with a consular officer. Appointments may only be scheduled by calling 09055 444546. Calls cost £1.30/min from BT landlines. Some mobile and network providers may charge more.

When applying for a visa, the following documents are required in addition to those specified in the attached leaflet.

o copies of the court record(s) covering all charges of which they have been convicted, or which are presently pending against them.

o a completed personal data sheet, form VCU1 [see over]

Please note: Due to the additional administration involved in such applications, it is difficult to predict how long the application will take to process. Applicants should be prepared for the fact that the application may take several months. Applicants should apply for visas well before the anticipated date of travel as processing cannot be expedited. No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Therefore, final travel plans or the purchase of nonrefundable tickets should not be made until a visa has been issued.

How do I obtain court records?

Court records, usually called a Memorandum of Conviction (MOC) in Great Britain and Certificates of Conviction in Northern Ireland, are obtained from the clerk of the court(s) in which the individual was tried. Such court records must show the nature of the offense(s) committed, the section(s) of law contravened and the actual penalty imposed. If the MOC, or Certificate of Conviction, is not available from the court in which the individual was tried, he or she can still obtain the court record(s) from a division of New Scotland Yard at the address below, if convicted in the Great Britain, or the Royal Ulster Constabulary station, if convicted in Northern Ireland. In the event that the MOC, or Certificate of Conviction, is unavailable, the applicant must obtain a letter so stating from the Clerk of the Court.
Room 331, New Scotland Yard
Broadway, London SW1 0BG
Tel: 020-7230-2958

What if I’m found ineligible for a visa?

The Immigration and Nationality Act defines a number of instances in which an applicant is deemed permanently ineligible to receive a visa. The determination as to whether a specific crime renders an applicant permanently ineligible can only be made by a consular officer upon receipt of a completed application with appropriate supporting documentation. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may be found permanently ineligible for admission to the United States and the visa application will be refused.

In certain instances, it is possible to obtain a waiver of the ineligibility so that a special restricted visa can be obtained. While a consular officer can recommend that a waiver be granted, sole authority to approve a waiver rests with the Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The determination of whether or not to recommend a waiver of a permanent ineligibility can only be made if an applicant meets all other legal requirements for visa issuance and a waiver provision exists for the particular offence and category of visa sought. Normally a waiver is not recommended until the applicant can demonstrate at least three to five years of offense-free behavior from the expiry of the most recent sentence, whether fully served or not. Please be advised that if a favorable recommendation is made to the USCIS for a waiver of the permanent ineligibility, the application will take several months to process.
VCU1 Oct 02

PERSONAL DATA
Please use BLOCK LETTERS and answer ALL questions, using additional pages if necessary.

SURNAME: __________________________________________________ ______________

FIRST NAMES: __________________________________________________ ___________

ALIASES: __________________________________________________ _______________
(i.e. Maiden Name, Previous Married Name, etc.)

DATE OF BIRTH: _________________ PLACE OF BIRTH: ____________
(Day/Month/Year) (City, Country)

PRESENT ADDRESS:__________________________________________ _______________

__________________________________________________ _____________________

TELEPHONE: __________________________________________________ ______________________

If you have been arrested or summoned for, charged with, indicted for, or convicted of a crime or other offence, please give full details including date, place and nature of offence. Exclude only minor traffic offenses where no injury occurred.

DATE COURT OFFENCE SENTENCE

_________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________ _________________

If, as a result of any conviction, you served a prison sentence please enter:

a) DURATION OF SENTENCE ACTUALLY SERVED: __________________________________

b) PRISON(S) IN WHICH SENTENCE WAS SERVED: __________________________________

c) DATEOF RELEASE FROM PRISON: _____________________________________________
(Day/Month/Year)

d) DATE OF RELEASE FROM PROBATION: ________________________________________
(Day/Month/Year)

e) DATE PROBATION TERMINATED: ____________________________________________
(Day/Month/Year)

6. If you have answered “yes” to question 38 on form DS-156 for a different reason, please explain:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

I CERTIFY THAT MY ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE ARE TRUE AND CORRECT:

Signature:________________________________________ ___Date:_________________

Hope this clears the matter up

jj...
Old 31 May 05, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

The bottom line is that Stu runs this site - and IMO does an excellent job at that too!
I believe he should be able to make whatever changes he sees fit to promote the efficient running of this site.

I agree fully
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 05, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 17

I'll ignore the last poster

jj... [/B]
That's me in case anyone is in doubt and I was merely agreeing with Stu that it is futile to enter into word games, when one side has an agenda they are determined to impose on others without hearing the argument of the other side.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread