Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 19 Jun 05, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ulsterscot
Apprentice Imagineer

Talking Mr & Mrs Ulsterscot Eat Orlando - Day Two

Day Two

We had an early kick-off today. Obviously we had not adjusted to the time zone and were bouncing out of bed at about 7am. This would not be typical.

Starting in the way that I fervently hoped the holiday would continue, I went for a swim while Mrs Ulsterscot threw water round the appropriate areas and dabbed various potions and preparations in that peculiarly feminine way. The pool was quiet -with only a couple of other occupants, and I didn't stay too long.

After my own morning preparations we opted for a trip to Disney to start the holiday off. We had bought 14 day tickets at home but didn't want to start to use them until later in the holiday, so we were on the lookout for a free Disney fix. Since Mike has long raved about the Boardwalk - and we have never been - it seemed like a good place to begin.

For those not in the know, The Boardwalk is a resort in the Epcot area which is based around a lake several hotels, including the Boardwalk itself and the Yacht and Beach Clubs.

We took a turn along the wooden planks and round the lake, stopping only for some quick refreshments at the Boardwalk Bakery.

Very nice indeed. I tried the Key Lime Pie and Mrs Ulsterscot went for the Banana Split. With teas, that amounted to $11.89. Rather peculiarly we were also joined by a small family of ducks who were keen to sample the fare.

We took note of the various menus in the wide variety of restaurants and then set off on our way again.

Staying with the Disney theme, we made our way to Downtown Disney for further Mouse-based fun.

Exploring the area, Downtown had remained broadly the same as last year. However, the Lego store had undergone a facelift and most of the outdoor exhibits had been replaced. The Loch Ness Monster thing was still in situ but the snoring man had gone, to be replaced by a family (complete with dogs) of tourists, taking a photo of Nessie. This was drawing very large numbers of real-life tourists, keen to have their picture taken with the picture takers, if you know what I mean.

Determined to continue our eating odyssey, and also keen to try places and things we had missed in previous years, we trotted over to Earl of Sandwich to sample his culinary wares.

Our selections were The Earl's Club and The Original (a roast beef effort) along with sodas for a total of $14.28. Very nice.

The "sandwiches" are of course the American variety and bear little resemblance to the traditional British slice of ham between two lumps of bread. The place itself is very busy, with orders taken at one end of a counter, payment collected at the other end and then a bloke who is employed to gulder "Order Four-Ninety! Order Four-Ninety!" to let you know when your dinner is available for collection.

We called to Guest Relations beside Planet Hollywood to do another thing we had never done before - make a PS. Our Anniversary would be coming up on Saturday and Mrs Ulsterscot had indicated that she was intending to stick with me until then at least "on a trial basis, buster", so we thought we would try somewhere nice. We booked dinner at Citrico's in the Grand Floridian for 8.30pm from a very pleasant Cast Member called Keith and, having declared that it was for our Anniversary, we were also presented with Disney Celebration badges. Very nice - although telling us dinner would be free might have been even better.

Mrs Ulsterscot was becoming concerned that our credit cards would feel we didn't love them anymore if we didn't make a bit of progress towards the shops, so we hopped, or perhaps waddled is more accurate, with bellies full of toasted sub, into the car and made our way to Premium Outlets. As many, if not most, of you will know, Premium Outlets is to be found off Vineland Road and is easily found from the I-4. However, in what would become a further theme of the holiday, I departed the Interstate at the wrong exit and consequently had to navigate using a little known Zen method to get to the car park. Mrs Ulsterscot helpfully encouraged my efforts in her own inimitable style and my right leg was pretty badly bruised by the time we got there.

Our first visit to the Outlets turned out to be only a scouting mission and the only purchase made was from Le Gourmet Chef. I had been tipped off that the Onion Blossom Maker was available there, and I picked one up. Of course, a visit to that particular emporium is always worthwhile at any time as they have MANY sampling dishes set out round the store - just watch out for anything that mentions Jalapeno peppers, or you'll shortly find yourself lapping from the water fountains like a dog.

Picking up a Frappaccino from Starbucks in the Food Court, we clambered back into the car and made for home again - the evening was passed pleasantly in front of the television where we learned several important lessons. Firstly, that Gator Ford is the home of the good looking reptile - this we already knew. Secondly, and a little more surprisingly, that Gator Lincoln/Buick is the home of the SOPHISTICATED reptile and finally that if you have any sort of injury at all, you should clearly log on to forthepeople.com.

And so, once again, to bed.
ulsterscot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 05, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Phew, no boking yet! I am keen to learn more about the Zen method of navigation!
Keep them coming!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 05, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
lthewliss
Imagineer

lthewliss's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Excellent! Day 3 please!
Old 19 Jun 05, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post

No pics of the badges ? so romantic lol

I can feel a boke coming on

jj...
Old 20 Jun 05, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Nearly boked when I saw the size of those "sandwiches"
Old 20 Jun 05, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great report.

Jools
Old 20 Jun 05, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post

'For the people' lol! - Morgan Collin and Gilbert Lawyers by any chance. You gotta love them American adverts!

SOunds like my kinda day!
Old 20 Jun 05, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Homer'sWife
Excited about Disney

I love your trip reports! Thank You!

Toni
Homer'sWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 05, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report, although I did have to search the web to find out what on earth an onion blossom maker was!
Old 20 Jun 05, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
another great report
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List