Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 17, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Evamai54
Staying in the Castle

Cancellation due to divorce?

Hi,

This is a quite hard post but 56 days away of our booking, circumstances have massively change at home and it all seems to be sinking... I took Comprehensive insurance but wonder whether anybody has been there and knows if a cancellation with full refund is possible under these circumstances.

All I have found is a 35% charge as it is less than 60 days away.

many thanks
Evamai54 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Hi. I can't answer for sure as every policy is different. However I do have a colleague who has had to cancel a holiday. She was traveling with two friends. One of her friends was told that if only two were traveling both could cancel but if one out of a party of three or more cancelled then only affected person could claim as it would not mean someone having to travel alone. This was illness but I imagine due to stress and worry you could speak to your doctor about getting a letter? Advice above might be irrelevant but it came to mind.

Have you considered going anyway for a break away or would that mean you are traveling alone?

When my marriage ended we had a holiday booked to Florida and I took DH off booking and decided to go with the children.

Stay strong and be kind to yourself . Things have a habit of getting better even if it takes time.

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Evamai54
Staying in the Castle

Many thanks for your quick reply.
It is all very recent (3 weeks) that I have taken the decision but he is not fully aware I think and, as it has been so unexpected I thought to go anyway for the kids (2),
however, every day seems that it’ll be more difficult, especially because he thinks there is hope and is just a crisis and is not.

I am just considering everything but, at the moment, the trip stands although not looking forward at all.

I thought to find out first my options and let him know and then decide.

The thing is that telling the kids we are splitting up and then go and ‘celebrate’ it in Disneyland doesn’t seem right, it makes more sense the other way round…

Thanks for the cheer up.
Evamai54 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Those terms sound like the Disney booking t&c, have you checked the insurance policy?

I know that in the past that people have been able to move their booking to a later date by contacting Disney and explaining the situation if that would work so you don't actually loose any money and have the trip maybe early next year instead?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Do your kids know about the holiday?

If they do, given the short amount of time until you go, would you not consider still going and telling them afterwards?

I realise that you have made your decision but if it were me and my kids were looking forward to something I would wait so that they enjoyed themselves before any upheaval and upset started.

Could you not sit and discuss it with your other half and explain that you would still go away for the children and that after your return you would be starting divorce proceedings?
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Evamai54
Staying in the Castle

The kids don't know a thing but yes, the agreement is to go and enjoy but, honestly, the joy is going to be so sour...

I guess we'll do that, just trying to find alternatives.

Many thanks
Old 23 Jun 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry to hear about your hard time.

Is there anybody in your family/circle of friends who could go in place of your husband? There may be some cost in changing the details of a traveller but at least it won't be awkward and you will also have someone there to talk to if your children are out of earshot. I know it sounds a bit mean if you did take this route but maybe a little white lie to your children to say that your husband can't go anymore, perhaps having to go to work urgently over the trip, so that they don't ask any questions and don't deal with the upset whilst there.
stormflm595 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ilathi
Excited about Disney

i found myself in a similar situation quite a few years ago ... and took the decision to just cancel the holiday after my x and i split up and then re-book in the future, to be really honest with you i regret that decision even now as i was never in the situation to take my DS until now ... next year when i do finally get to take him (his 21st birthday) it'll have been 8 years till i was able to again ... i would personally say go, however have a very detailed and clear conversation with your husband before you go or as stormflm595 suggestion x
ilathi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I dont know you, or what is best for you so i am only putting this out there as something else to think about. If you did decided to go with your X and tell the children before the holiday, it may serve to show that that although you both are no longer going to be together, you are both still their parents and they can have fun with both of you.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Evamai54 View Post
Many thanks for your quick reply.
It is all very recent (3 weeks) that I have taken the decision but he is not fully aware I think and, as it has been so unexpected I thought to go anyway for the kids (2),
however, every day seems that it’ll be more difficult, especially because he thinks there is hope and is just a crisis and is not.

I am just considering everything but, at the moment, the trip stands although not looking forward at all.

I thought to find out first my options and let him know and then decide.

The thing is that telling the kids we are splitting up and then go and ‘celebrate’ it in Disneyland doesn’t seem right, it makes more sense the other way round…

Thanks for the cheer up.
I think I would go with the children, leave your partner behind, tell the kids he has to work or can't get the time off, and while you're there consider what you'll do. You don't have to tell the kids you've split up yet and I'm sure even if you did it wouldn't seem to anyone like you were "celebrating" the split by going to DLP. Whichever way this goes, to me it would seem the right thing to do to keep the booking and go with the kids to DLP (they shouldn't have that taken away from them as well as have to face any upheaval your possible separation may cause them).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List