Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 May 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

House Guests - long rant alert!

I would say I am quite a 'people person' but for some reason I hate having people to stay in our home, mostly because I quite like my own space of an evening - not having to make forced conversation and endless 'do you need anything?' type chats. But surely, if we do have people to stay they should at least be polite? !

We have had house guest all week, and this morning they left, I found the guest bed in complete disarray, (not made but not stripped either just in a heap) with a wet towel on it, they took food to bed leaving the plate and crumbs everywhere. Final straw was they had clearly been smoking in the bedroom.

This is a grown adult (lady) even my 15 year old Neanderthal son commented about the state of it! We have also had guests who drink from the milk carton, (EWWW!) bring no wine and then proceed to drink three bottles of ours etc. Am I just grumpy or anyone else had guests from hell?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I would say I am quite a 'people person' but for some reason I hate having people to stay in our home, mostly because I quite like my own space of an evening - not having to make forced conversation and endless 'do you need anything?' type chats. But surely, if we do have people to stay they should at least be polite? !

We have had house guest all week, and this morning they left, I found the guest bed in complete disarray, (not made but not stripped either just in a heap) with a wet towel on it, they took food to bed leaving the plate and crumbs everywhere. Final straw was they had clearly been smoking in the bedroom.

This is a grown adult (lady) even my 15 year old Neanderthal son commented about the state of it! We have also had guests who drink from the milk carton, (EWWW!) bring no wine and then proceed to drink three bottles of ours etc. Am I just grumpy or anyone else had guests from hell?
Not grumpy Louise... How the hell did they get through the door without wine though 😂🤣😂, seriously common courtesy you'd either make the bed or strip it, I would anyway (can I come and stay I'll bring alcohol), if you are a non smoking household I would've been livid about the smoking 😠... Are you inviting her back 😁
We don't really have house guests, don't have a spare room but kids have had sleepovers that's bad enough lol x
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Wow .. that’s just rude!
Never had a bad guest luckily , they always tidy up after themselves and most importantly they always bring a bottle or 3 !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Stop inviting them
Seriously , it's your home , if you don't want them to stay don't put yourself in that position.
If it's another family member inviting them ... then it's time for a frank conversation with them , if it's you feeling you have to invite them ... then time to have a stern word with yourself !

Some people love having guests, others their home is their castle and they prefer the drawbridge up!

Maybe you just need to learn to say no
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Apart from the Children nobody stays with us.

If they did they would abide by our house rules. And that would mean OP all of the things you have mentioned on here about your visitors would see them never returning!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Are these like Air Bnb type lodgers or friends?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Mobile

With you on this! Lazy guests who expect to be waited on hand and foot never come back to ours. Thankfully we also have some fabulous friends who are welcome here any time (you know who you are &#128522

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
When I was little we often had people to stay (vicar's family and the only big house in the area, so we were always putting people up, many of whom we didn't know very well).

I once asked my mum:

"How come when people stay with us, we have to do what they want, because they are guests - but when we stay with other people, we still have to do what they want, because we are guests?"

Forty-odd years later I still think it's an excellent question.

Some people just never get the memo that you are supposed to behave like guests!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Wow, we only have family to stay with us and that is rarely now but no way any of them would behave like that. Even in cottages I strip the bed when we are leaving, or hotels I leave it tidy. The wet towel bit and smoking would really annoy me

I can never understand how people think they can use hotels/cottages etc how they would never live at home - or maybe they do
Old 30 May 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Don't invite them again.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List