Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Apr 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

New kitchens

I have wanted a new kitchen for years and I'm thinking about it again as it beats doing any of the things that I should be doing!

But I'd love to know how did you plan/design your kitchen, choose where to buy it from etc? I don't like the layout of my kitchen so don't want to replace the units like for like.

And do you have any tips/recommendations etc for choosing a kitchen. e.g. I love the glossy kitchens that you can get but I hate cleaning and I guess they end up covered in finger prints so they're probably a no no...

Any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
When you can, get someone out to look at the space and provide designs for you. We have a fairly big separate kitchen, but it's not big enough really for a table, breakfast bar or island which is what I'd ideally like, it's also got 3 doors which limits the usable space. I had a list of wants and the designer told me what would work and what wouldn't.

He had ideas that we wouldn't have thought of (like rounding off the ends of the worktop so that the doors were more accessible)
Old 18 Apr 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
We did ours 18 months ago, we got a local company in and they designed our small kitchen for us, we changed where the washer etc went and got extra units and all built in appliances. They did everything.

We went for wood effect worktops to compliment our “mussel” coloured units . We got a black composite sink. Built in oven and induction hob and microwave.
We didn’t have to do a thing except empty old kitchen and then out every back in new one.
Old 18 Apr 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1104294
Old 18 Apr 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We were only saying this morning we might use our florida money to put in new kitchen...hubbie was very excited about it... I would have much preferred my holiday!
Old 18 Apr 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m going to follow this with interest as I may divert my 2020 holiday money towards it!
Old 18 Apr 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
saffy202
Apprentice Imagineer

my husband has been saying for ages if I stopped booking holidays to Florida then we could get a new kitchen so once this is over that's what I will be getting!
Old 18 Apr 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

You are right about gloss cupboards. I love ours but they are a pain to keep clean. We also have the handleless j grove type and crumbs get stuck in the handle all the time.

When planning think about where you would do most of your food prep. The place I thought I'd do mine didn't end up that way as it meant I had my back to the room. Instead I prep on a tiny area next to the hob and in front of the big drawers which are used all the time so I can talk to people. If I had thought about it I would have planned the layout differently. I also regret not making room for an American style fridge/freezer.
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Just reread my post above and it sounds really negative but I do love my new kitchen loads, there are just a few learning points.
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Why don’t you take a few photos of your current kitchen so that we can see and offer advice.
Personally I got a local recommended independent kitchen fitter who suggested B&Q for good value and ease of fit. He took measurements and drew me up some options.

We were supposed to be moving before all this nonsense and I had planned my kitchen so I’m feeling sad, I love kitchens but can only afford small houses.

I personally don’t like gloss or handle-free for fingerprint reasons.
We got cream shaker in our current house which I love, but do get grubby.
I’m going for a darker shade next time for that reason, but defo shaker