Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Help! Kitten won’t wee in litter tray!

Ok, so we’re nearly 24 hours in to kitten ownership and so far he’s eating and drinking, playing and sleeping so all good there and he’s done all his no2s in the litter tray (god they stink who knew!)

But so far he’s weed on DS’ beanbag, the floor next to the litter tray and he just climbed in the basket of clean washing and peed out of the side!

DH is off out to buy another litter tray in case it’s because he doesn’t like no1 and no2 in the same place but not sure what else to do as he’s been absolutely fine with using it for poos so confused!

Any tips?
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sherman
Getting Excited

Mobile

Oh dear... you could try using a different type of litter? Do you know what type the kitten was using to before you brought him home?
Sherman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
Oh dear... you could try using a different type of litter? Do you know what type the kitten was using to before you brought him home?
Yes weve got the same one he was using before. He’s fine with it for poos!
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Googling it brings up could kitty have a urinary tract infection, as this might stop them weeing in the box even though they poop in it, have you rang the vets to ask what they think?
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Googling it brings up could kitty have a urinary tract infection, as this might stop them weeing in the box even though they poop in it, have you rang the vets to ask what they think?
No, not yet. We only got him yesterday and the rescue centre didn’t say anything but it could be that I suppose. Second litter box is in so will see if that makes a difference or can call vet.

Edited at 01:56 PM.
Old 20 Jun 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Try placing him into the litter tray after he’s weed somewhere he shouldn’t and keep placing him in the tray at regular times during the day, that’s meant to help apparently.

Also as others have said, check with the vet because he could have infection.

And strongly disinfect where he has peed so far so that he doesn’t get tempted to go there again, this all advice I’ve read/heard.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

pop it in the litter tray as soon as food is eaten.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Depends on the Litter sometimes , one of mine hates larger litter granules and she will go on the floor next to the box so I use sanicat now with no fragrance and small granules , I would put some puppy training pads around the box and try and keep him in one place near the box for the short term so he knows where to go ... peeing in the washing though 🥴sorry for you !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
prettymiarose
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We had the same when our male was a kitten. We bought 2 additional trays and put them where he tended to pee. When he pees outside the litter tray(s), mop up with tissue, place the tissue in the litter tray(s). Show him, pop him in there (he doesn’t have to stay in, just show him this is your smell, you pee here). We read that you should use enzyme killing cleaners to stop them peeing in the same place so used these at first which didn’t stop him, others say strong cleaning smells everywhere can make them want to put their scent out there even more so it’s a fine balance of your kitten being able to smell his own scent and keeping your home sanitary! After only 2 weeks of additional litter trays and the tissue trick he peed only in his tray
Old 20 Jun 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jenn8400
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’ve used litter training drops with mine and they usually work (bought from the range) also I always stick to a clay based litter when they are little. Also I’ve put their paws into the litter and showed them how to scrape it around (if that makes sense lol). Keep putting him in there he will get the idea sooner or later x