Notices

Old 3 Aug 20, 05:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Switzerland Summer 2020 - Day 1 Travel Day

Let me start with some introductions and a brief history of how the trip came about!

We are a family of four with an added member this year:
Me - mum to two and the travel nut of the family. Aged 51 I am the one who makes holidays happen. If I didn't we would go anywhere!
J - my lovely husband who is relatively laid back and let's me get on with it. A year older as I like to remind him!
O- our 18 year old son. He is a student in Hong Kong during normal times (though he would argue that since he started there has been no normal times! ) He is definitely my child - looks like his dad but is 100% me in character. Also a travel nut!
F- our 15 year old daughter. She is horse mad - has her own pony which she competes on.

So this trip was actually booked before Covid was ever really a thing! We live in the south of France and back at Christmas we had a family discussion as to holidays. O was hopeful of an internship so we decided that driving somewhere would be better as he could come if he was available!

F wanted June- our cross Pyrenean sheepdog to come too. And suggested Switzerland. Cooler than home and we all like the great outdoors. Everyone agreed so I took it on myself to find the accommodation. The first one was in Wassan in the German part of the country. The second was in Verbier in the French speaking part.

We decided two weeks was good and all was booked and then forgotten about. With the events of the last few months we were very unsure if we would get away and the Swiss quarantine page was my most looked at in the weeks leading up to the trip. Thankfully France stayed off the list!

And here we are- actually on a much needed holiday!

The day before everything was packed up, the roof box was put on the car and the car was packed! Thankfully not too bad even though we seem to have enough clothes for all eventualities!

A 6am departure time was decided on! And we almost made that- we left at 6.08am. The route was somewhat odd as we wanted to avoid the Mediterranean route as we knew even on a Sunday it could be horrific. So we went north via Clemont Ferrand and Mulhouse. I did the first 5 hours - we stopped once but didn't even do a toilet visit as the queue needed a fast pass to get it done quickly. The dog was appreciative of the break though - thankfully she is a good traveller!

We stopped for lunch and petrol at about 11.30am - lunch was a sandwich picnic (much nicer and cheaper than service stations) and J took over the driving! The traffic got busy in parts but we managed pretty well with nice cloudy weather.

Just before Switzerland, we stopped to let O drive. Wouldn't you know it- it started to rain a lot! Not the easiest driving conditions (and the above photo is when the rain was not so bad! ) He did a good job but after 90 minutes we stepped over back to J!

There were an awful lot of tunnels! Some very short bit a couple more than 5km long! None of us like tunnels and my mind always does back to the Mont Blanc tunnel fire

Thankfully the rain stopped and the scenery was impressive!

And our first view of a train One of J's wish list items is a trip somewhere on a train. Need to work that out as there is a train station in the town we are staying at!

After about 11h we arrived at out first Airbnb - a three bedroom house about 4km outside the town. The house is enormous so plenty of space. Well take indoor photos today.

We got the car unpacked and choose rooms (all three rooms have enormous beds so everyone is happy). It is very clean too!

We decided to get June out on a walk. This is about 30m from the house!

So much greener than home!

June loves water but it may have been a bit cold!

And the local wildlife!

And lots of wild flowers!

We came back in and decided to go to find ice cream. A bit of a failure here as I left my phone in the car. The ice creams were ok but expensive - about 20€ for 2 scoops each.

Back at the house we realised I had unplugged the wifi when trying to find a plug socket for O's computer to be charged. When we plugged it back in- we could get it to connect to the internet. Nightmare! F and I have data as should J but his wasn't working for some reason. O has none on his contract. I made pesto pasta while we waited to see if it works boot up. Many messages were passed between me and the owner. He tried to call the internet people but they needed someone who was there. I then called and eventually got through. I did the hard reset and they decided that it was a fault and someone works have to come out. An appointment was fixed for Tuesday.

Everyone was tired (after sitting still all day) but happy to be away in such a lovely place.

Hopefully the photos will be better tomorrow!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 3 Aug 20 6:12 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Those mountains!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm so jealous. We had our holiday to the Alps cancelled this year.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

How brilliant to get a trip report to read 😂 Really looking forward to following your trip. The mountains look stunning, June is gorgeous but, ouch, those ice creams were expensive. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Yeah, a trip report to read! Beautiful scenery. I look forward to reading along.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I love reading your trip reports and am glad you have managed to get away. Looks like a beautiful housewith fantastic scenery and views around so looking forward to reading more
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

What a gorgeous setting - worth the epic drive. I’m not a fan of tunnels either - I keep checking where the exits are!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Long travel day but looks amazing !
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Yay new adventures!
Gosh a long travel day and mixed conditions but your house sounds great.
Uh oh to disconnecting the WiFi though.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List