Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Nov 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi after looking at you drawing I would definitely close up the unused door, this will give you a full wall to work with . What you could do is have a breakfast bar coming of this side which will leave room for some units or one of the big fridge freezers on the left side.and some more storage.
16 ft is plenty to work with.
You mentioned one guy said keep the same lay out , he’s lazy and wants an easy job. As MR T said take time and do some more sketches and actually with chalk or bits of wood etc lay out on the floor where everything would be and this will show what open space you have to walk about in .
Of course this all depends on budget.
What is to the left of the kitchen, is it another room , have you considered opening up the whole space.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi after looking at you drawing I would definitely close up the unused door, this will give you a full wall to work with . What you could do is have a breakfast bar coming of this side which will leave room for some units or one of the big fridge freezers on the left side.and some more storage.
16 ft is plenty to work with.
You mentioned one guy said keep the same lay out , he’s lazy and wants an easy job. As MR T said take time and do some more sketches and actually with chalk or bits of wood etc lay out on the floor where everything would be and this will show what open space you have to walk about in .
Of course this all depends on budget.
What is to the left of the kitchen, is it another room , have you considered opening up the whole space.
I also wondered what was on the other side and if you could take the wall down for open plan and more space. Depends how much work you want. When we did our extension we used a lego board and lego to give ourselves an idea of layout. We had it planned in our heads what we wanted and what we thought would work for us before we even went to the kitchen places. We did have the advantage that we still had our old kitchen until the new one was ready.
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think patio doors would bring in so much more light for you

we were told by our planning guy our kitchen was small in general and too small for an island but...………. I wanted one, we don't sit at ours though

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

We are currently in very early stages of designing a kitchen extension as the current kitchen of the house we are buying is only 6ft 3 x 9ft 4! As a family of 5 our requirements are:
Fridge close to hallway door so if someone is popping in for a quick drink/snack it's easy access
Dining area access does not cross the kitchen area and by window/door (for natural light) if possible

with those in mind I think Juliemacks idea for units along the right hand wall and bottom would work the best with the fridge being closest to the door on the bottom wall. If you really like the idea of an island maybe try a nice quality mobile butchers block thats 2ft deep so you can move it to the left hand wall if you feel it is in the way and have the dining area to the left near the bifold/patio doors. Another thought for the door you're thinking of blocking up is if the new bifold doors are northern facing have it converted into a window, our current kitchen is north facing and the window and door lets in very little natural light during the winter.
2021?
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

Definitely not a kitchen designer but this would be my suggestion -

Moving into the kitchen as you walk in through the door and where the current outside door is making an L shape, the kitchen island in the middle there and then the dining room table to the far end. I've drawn the table at 750mm but perhaps a small round table would suit the space better. Radiator to the wall opposite the island

To the far end to have one of those gallery window with door at the far end.

Kitchen cupboards are all drawn as 600mm apart from the half size cupboard at the end which is 300 (could be one of those pull out larder types) to give you an idea how many cupboards you'd have.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Is your sink currently under the window which you would like to replace with patio doors?

If so I would certainly block up the unused door. Then flip your kitchen and make it L shape. So where your table is currently situated you would have units and they will also run along the length of the kitchen.
Getting rid of a U shaped kitchen will make your kitchen feel much wider!
Then I would place your dining room table in front of the new patio doors so that you can eat looking out at your garden.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Is your sink currently under the window which you would like to replace with patio doors?

If so I would certainly block up the unused door. Then flip your kitchen and make it L shape. So where your table is currently situated you would have units and they will also run along the length of the kitchen.
Getting rid of a U shaped kitchen will make your kitchen feel much wider!
Then I would place your dining room table in front of the new patio doors so that you can eat looking out at your garden.
Just to add, rather than totally bricking the back door up you could create a window and place your sink under it. As this is a side door, possibly close to your boundary wall you could plant some beautiful climbing flowers 👍🏻👍🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Just to add, rather than totally bricking the back door up you could create a window and place your sink under it. As this is a side door, possibly close to your boundary wall you could plant some beautiful climbing flowers 👍🏻👍🏻
This type of thing, your units would run longer down the length of your kitchen
With your table & patio at the opposite end

Old 24 Nov 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Some good ideas here thanks .
Keep them coming
I will respond in more detail tonight when I have more time
Thanks
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

This type of thing, your units would run longer down the length of your kitchen
With your table & patio at the opposite end

Did you create this? I like it, we're looking at a similar layout but fridge the other end as that is where the hall door will be and all water items together as we want a plumbed in fridge freezer.
2021?
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List