Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Ocean Florida
Unread 24 Jun 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Agreed that there is so much choice. 2 weeks can easily be filled with a road trip down from SFO into San Diego then back into LAX for the flight home.
Have you looked at the trip reports INDEX page? So much easier to find reports that might help rather than having to trawl through all the individual reports?
The coastal route, whilst not the same as Yosemite, would give you a taster of redwoods and canyons, Big Sur, or Fulton.
Palm Springs and Mt San Jacinto could bring some variety.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our first DVC welcome home trip
Unread 24 Jun 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi having looked at whats been suggested i would suugest you do san fran then yosemite and then back to coast at monterey and then decide what time you have from there. Have a look at yosemite view lodge at el portal. Would you consider one of the tents with proper door etc.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yellowstone and west coast
Unread 25 Jun 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Proud to wear my Ears

As an example for you, we've booked into SFO out of LAX, trying to avoid 1 night stays anywhere we really want to do anything as most drives are 4h so a 1 night stay would only be an afternoon and a morning, and if you do a few it'll be easily exhausting
3n San Fran,
3n Yosemite (1 in a hotel, 2 inside the park in a concrete/tent structure thing), wondering if this is enough time, we spent 3n at Grand Canyon in December and could've stayed longer, but we like hiking and camping at home, whereas a longer stay might not suit others.
2n Monterey - whale watching and aquarium, Drive down PCH past Big Sur, elephant seal beach etc
1n Santa Barbara - Airstream caravan, see Malibu, Santa Monica
5n Anaheim - Disney, as you aren't interested in this you could push the distance further to San Diego and see more in LA
2n LA - Universal, possibly WB studio tour and Hollywood Sign/WoF

For the drive times, I've used google maps to estimate and
SFO-Yosemite 4-5h
Yosemite-Monterey - same
Monterey - SB - same, this day is going to be purely driving and stopping off at places on the way, so planning to leave early and arrive at the airstream early evening, anything earlier is a bonus
SB - Santa Monica 2h - Anaheim - 1h
Anaheim to Universal Studios area - 45min

Discovered last year at Vegas/Grand Canyon that a 4h drive easily becomes 6h when stopping for food, fuel, interesting things on the way.

Then anything going around, near or through LA will likely be at least doubled. I've heard the drive from Anaheim - LA taking people 4h before!
Orlando June 98, Aug 99, June 17 - iDrive

Edited at 08:23 AM.
fiona88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
West Coast Mission Breakout
Unread 25 Jun 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Fiona88 your trip isn't unlike a couple of ours, you have 7 n LA area for us we would cut this and take another n in yosemite. 3 n really only gives you 2 full days there. Would really recommend on your first day you do the valley floor tour,great for getting your bearings and a little history in an easy way. 2 hours
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 28 Jun 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I'm thinking about a trip to LA but I want to do Disneyland, universal and six flags.
Would also like to see San Francisco for a couple of nights.

I dont want yo drive so trying to figure out the best way especially as the price for a flight starts at 350 return at the moment

June 2006, August 2007, September 2018, January 2019

Going in September 2019
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Need to ride
Unread 29 Jun 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Having Dinner with Goofy

Batman1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi having looked at whats been suggested i would suugest you do san fran then yosemite and then back to coast at monterey and then decide what time you have from there. Have a look at yosemite view lodge at el portal. Would you consider one of the tents with proper door etc.
That's what I'm thinking, although I'm also thinking we should leave Yosemite for another time and concentrate on the coast.
It now looks like we will be restricted to going in July for various reasons. Yosemite looks expensive in summer. Do the crowds get uncomfortable in July or is it manageable?
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Orlando first timers
Unread 29 Jun 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Apprentice Imagineer

We did the following
5 nights San Francisco
2 nights Monterey
2 nights Pismo beach
2 nights Santa Barbara
7 nights San Diego
5 nights Anaheim
Unfortunately we had to cancel Yosemite due to fires.
I loved San Francisco and I would say I'm not usually a city person. You definitely do not need a car whilst in San Francisco. We did a Dylan's tour on the first morning, cable cars and baseball another day, walked to the Golden Gate Bridge and Alkatraz one day and we did a Segway ride around the golden gate park amongst other things. We stayed at the holiday inn express fishermans wharf it was an excellent location.
Monterey was brilliant I would have liked longer there.
We only went shopping at Pismo beach so didn't really get a feel for the place.
Santa Barbara was lovely could have done with longer here too.
I liked San Diego but didn't like the driving there. The zoo was fantastic.
I am glad we did Disney and the teenagers enjoyed it but I would not wish to return.
Overall I loved California and hope to return as I was gutted about Yosemite and I would also like to go to Lake Tahoe.
Enjoy your planning I would say try not to do too much. If I was to go again I would say no stays shorter than 3 nights otherwise it can feel like you are just waiting for your next move and have at least one longer stay somewhere but others will disagree with me. Also decide where exactly you want to visit before pricing up flights. We flew into San Francisco and out of Los Angeles slightly more expensive than in and out of the same airport but saved on petrol and driving time.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Quebec a cruise and hard rock hotel
Unread 29 Jun 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Yosemite in summer is fine, busy but ok . Bear in mind that quite often you can't do the the high roads other than June through to sept/ oct. Last year tioga pass didn't open to end of June as they where clearing 25 ft snow drifts.
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less