Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning Discussion > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 2 Jun 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
#9
Sew109
Imagineer
 
Sew109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 15
We stayed at Maswick last time our fave hotel we have stayed at there as others have said its 5 minutes walk to the canyon not the 15 might take 7 if you have to wait for a train to go past.

There are numerous places 10 mins walk where you will have space and a great view. We only watch sunset now its not much different and bed is usually more appealing at that point in our trip.

However going 8n winter when snow is there is a different ball game truly awe inspiring
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR Construction Site
Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
#10
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

 
folkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 08

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 131
We were there a few weeks ago (also stayed as Maswik!). We got the bus out to Mojave Point for Sunset (on the recommendation of a bus driver), it was superb. You can look east and west from there. There were quite a lot of people but there was plenty of room unlike some of the other viewpoints where there isn't a lot of space with a good view.

If you head out that way you need to get in the bus queue very early, at least an hour before sunset, preferably earlier (take snacks but just be careful with drinks - there are no toilets at Mojave Point!). They increase the number of buses at that time but you'll still have a long wait. Or head out further west earlier in the day and catch the bus heading east to get there.

One important tip, don't rush with the crowd for the first bus back just after the sun's gone below the rim. You usually get the best colour just AFTER that especially if there's a bit of cloud to for the sun to reflect off, so hang around until it's darker. Despite what the signs say the buses don't just stop running at a set time, so there's no need to rush. The bus driver told us that they keep sending buses up on "mop-up" trips to bring people back until they're pretty sure there's no one left so you won't have to walk back down.
__________________
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian

Edited at 09:31 AM.
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Performing at Warwick Folk Festival
Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
#11
juliab
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
juliab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
We stayed at Maswick last time our fave hotel we have stayed at there as others have said its 5 minutes walk to the canyon not the 15 might take 7 if you have to wait for a train to go past.

There are numerous places 10 mins walk where you will have space and a great view. We only watch sunset now its not much different and bed is usually more appealing at that point in our trip.

However going 8n winter when snow is there is a different ball game truly awe inspiring
It's goof to hear that Maswik is a good hotel and not much of a walk either.

This is our first visit, we're so excited. We're visiting at the start of our trip so we'll probably be awake really early anyway
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where too next?
Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
#12
juliab
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
juliab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by folkie View Post
We were there a few weeks ago (also stayed as Maswik!). We got the bus out to Mojave Point for Sunset (on the recommendation of a bus driver), it was superb. You can look east and west from there. There were quite a lot of people but there was plenty of room unlike some of the other viewpoints where there isn't a lot of space with a good view.

If you head out that way you need to get in the bus queue very early, at least an hour before sunset, preferably earlier (take snacks but just be careful with drinks - there are no toilets at Mojave Point!). They increase the number of buses at that time but you'll still have a long wait. Or head out further west earlier in the day and catch the bus heading east to get there.

One important tip, don't rush with the crowd for the first bus back just after the sun's gone below the rim. You usually get the best colour just AFTER that especially if there's a bit of cloud to for the sun to reflect off, so hang around until it's darker. Despite what the signs say the buses don't just stop running at a set time, so there's no need to rush. The bus driver told us that they keep sending buses up on "mop-up" trips to bring people back until they're pretty sure there's no one left so you won't have to walk back down.
Thank you for all the tips, I've looked on the map at the various points and have noticed just a couple have toilets. We shall make sure not to drink too much!

Glad to hear the buses do run a while afterwards, we shall hang back a bit. Thank you.
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where too next?
Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 19, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
#13
florida girl
Imagineer
 
florida girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 08

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We also stayed at Maswik Lodge on our visit to the GC we loved it there. We didnt bother with the bus we drove to the car park to watch the sunrise actually did it twice its well worth getting up for the changing colours are spectacular.
__________________
Florida-Oct 98,June 99,Oct 00,Aug 01,Dec 02,Oct 03,Jan 05,Oct 05,Jan 07,Apr 08,Dec 08,Oct 10,Feb 13,Nov 13,Nov 14,Jan16,Nov 17,Oct 18
NY-Oct 10. WC -Oct 11, Oct 15,Oct 16.Vegas Mar 09, Mar 10,Oct 11,Oct 15,Oct 18.
1st time DLP March 2020
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
IKOS Dassia Corfu
Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
#14
Sew109
Imagineer
 
Sew109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 15
Originally Posted by juliab View Post
It's goof to hear that Maswik is a good hotel and not much of a walk either.

)

We really enjoyed Maswik you get Elk walking round the rooms and we had an upstairs room with hight ceiling and it was massive.

We also saw coyote in the car park
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR Construction Site
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
#15
juliab
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
juliab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by arhclo View Post
During Easter holidays canyon was jam packed but went for sunrise at viewpoint by visitors centre and not busy at all. Fewer people want to get up at 4am for sunrise than stay out for sunset!
We might look at this option as I'm thinking it will be a lot quieter for sunrise.
Thank you
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where too next?
Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
#16
juliab
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
juliab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
We also stayed at Maswik Lodge on our visit to the GC we loved it there. We didnt bother with the bus we drove to the car park to watch the sunrise actually did it twice its well worth getting up for the changing colours are spectacular.
Getting so excited about this I really can't wait to watch it, not sure my kids will be as excited though
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where too next?
Reply With Quote
Reply
Florida Tix

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

My Magic Holiday

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

theDIBB Menu

American Attractions

US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2293
CaxtonFX  $1.2133
Covent Garden FX  $1.2315
FAIRFX  $1.2150
John Lewis  $1.2474
M&S  $1.2042
Post Office  $1.2224
Sainsburys  $1.2264
TESCO  $1.2280
Travelex  $1.2073
Updated: 05:30 17/07/2019

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0919
CaxtonFX  €1.0820
Covent Garden FX  €1.0922
FAIRFX  €1.0835
John Lewis  €1.1063
M&S  €1.0670
Post Office  €1.0860
Sainsburys  €1.0897
TESCO  €1.0911
Travelex  €1.0780
Updated: 05:30 17/07/2019

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Wed 17th Jul 12:55am
Now: 26C/79F
Clear Sky
Clear Sky
Cloud Cover: 1%
Wind: 3mph - SSE Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1021mb
Humidity: 83%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 04:36 17/07/2019