Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jun 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

We did our first Vegas trip this year. Wasn’t looking forward to it as YouTube does not do it justice. But wow. What a place.
Food and drink is more expensive than home. Expect to pay $3 for a small bottle of coke. A beer was $8. However if you find a cheap slot machine or horse racing game you can get complimentary drinks beers cocktails soft drinks. Just tip. We tipped either $2 or $3 depending. Found the best places for these drinks were Caesar’s palace and mgm.
Expect to do a lot of walking. One day the wife’s watch showed we did 32000 steps. Is that a lot I’m not sure.
Make sure you download Uber and lyft app. We paid $12 for an Uber from the airport to the strip. There’s loads of warnings regarding being overcharged by taxis hence why we used Uber and lyft. Lyft cars tend to be nicer.
If you visit the Vegas sign make sure you go the right way. We went to the wrong end and had to start again next morning. Whilst at the sign there’s a Harley Davidson store over the road. It has a cafe inside which is so cheap compared to the strip as well as great airport views and cool bikes.
Go into every hotel they are out of this world. We did the Grand Canyon helicopter tour. 4 hours in total with maverick helicoptesr. Our pilot was mad dog and he was insane in a good way.
Anyway if like us you will love it. Can’t wait to go back.
By the way when travelling home if your on the left of the plane you might get lucky like us and see the northern lights.

Edited at 07:07 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Forgot to mention Venetian is a brilliant hotel. Definitely up there with the best
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you all so much for your replies! Some really good tips & lots to think about, really excited to try something new!

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
My tip would be to research what you really want to see and have a rough plan to group things together. Even if the look as though they’re next door believe me, it’s not “close” .

We are going in September too and arrive on the Sunday after NASCAR so are hoping we might be lucky with an upgrade but happy with the room we have booked.
Yes the NASCAR is why I’m going .. that and my best friend that works in NASCAR will be there and it’s a good chance for spend time with her ..( translated to she wants to spend time with my baby granddaughter 😂&#128514
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
[QUOTE=myaquarium;13888153]We did our first Vegas trip this year. Wasn’t looking forward to it as YouTube does not do it justice. But wow. What a place.
However if you find a cheap slot machine or horse racing game you can get complimentary drinks beers cocktails soft drinks. Just tip. We tipped either $2 or $3 depending.

I always find the nearest Cocktail Waitress and then make out like I'm playing on a fruit machine and ask for 2 drinks, I always tip $3 as they'll come back to you quicker than a low tipper.
Works a treat.

I went back to Vegas in November 2017, the first time since USA after the Brexit vote and was fearing the worst with regard to prices, but it was stil cheap. Knowing where to go for the bargains does help though. Research, research and research.

Edited at 09:36 AM.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We did our first trip last year, also staying at the Venetian. The Venetian is amazing. Even the standard rooms are enormous. We had no view, but that didn't really matter. The hotel is mind-bogglingly huge, when you take the Grand Canal Shoppes into account, and it links all the way through to the Palazzo. You can spend a day just walking around all of that!

Stuff in the Venetian is expensive (things like water etc), but you are right next-door to a Walgreens (and there is a posher Walgreens further up the Palazzo end). We just bought a multi-pack of water and snacks for a fraction of the price than in the hotel.

Above the Walgreens is a Dennys. Good for a cheaper breakfast option!

There are a million restaurants so tips there are hard. The Venetian itself has many. Tao was incredible - give it a try if you can.

The Welcome to Las Vegas sign is a good trek and takes ages, but gets you to see the whole strip. We spend most of a day walking down there, popping into hotels for a look around on the way. Don't bother queueing for a "official" photo at the sign as they aren't official anyway. Just stand to the side and take a selfie!

We hired a car for a couple of days (picked up from the airport during our trip - the airport is really close) but apart from that used Uber everywhere. The car was good though - convertible Mustang - and we went out the Hoover dam, Red Rock Canyon and the premium outlets. Self-Parking is free at the Venetian, too.

Vegas was great, I'm dying to go back again. Trip report in my sig should you be interested.
Old 7 Jun 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We love vegas so much you tube doesn't do it justice there is so much more to the place than gambling, we love not having a plan and just wandering around getting lost in the different hotels, each hotel has its own unique feature we just loved looking them , make sure you visit freemont street up near the stratosphere ( its an experience) take in a show cirque du soleil are some of our favourites, def spend some time around a pool as the heat is just super hot. The outlets at the airport side of the strip we found better but it would depend what your looking for.
we has a great meal at Gordon Ramsey's burger restaurant really lovely. use the bus its a great way to get along the strip, everything is so huge and appears close by but it can take you ten minutes just to get across the road its so big.

Water drink lots and lots the heat is hot and dry, you will love it its an amazing place to visit. hooters is a good place to eat besides the obvious reason people visit the food is really good and reasonable too.
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
On our first trip (for 4 nights) we booked a show in the evening, booked a helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon, but the rest of the time just spent walking up and down the strip looking in all the hotels.
The second trip we did horse riding in Red Rock Canyon, it was a great trip.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Bonnie Springs Ranch at Red Rock Canyon has been sold for building development this year and the Motel, Horse riding, petting zoo and Western Town is now all gone.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Bonnie Springs Ranch at Red Rock Canyon has been sold for building development this year and the Motel, Horse riding, petting zoo and Western Town is now all gone.
Oh no, we really enjoyed that
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List