Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 22 Jun 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi have you considered Lake Tahoe or dare I say yellowstone . Did it last year after watching so many programmes on tv, just awesome .

Edited at 07:42 AM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BACK AGAIN
Unread 24 Jun 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Having Dinner with Goofy

Batman1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It will I guess come down to what's reasonable in our timeframe.

Looking like definitely 3 days in SFO, then onwards probably down the coast at this stage and end up in San Diego for a few days.
Yosemite looks both expensive to stay within the park, and appears limited in availability, even a year out.

Would like to do LA to see the famous sights but not interested in parks, but universal might be on the cards, or some sort of theme park day.
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Orlando first timers
Unread 24 Jun 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Batman1 View Post

Looking like definitely 3 days in SFO, then onwards probably down the coast at this stage and end up in San Diego for a few days.
Yosemite looks both expensive to stay within the park, and appears limited in availability, even a year out.

Would like to do LA to see the famous sights but not interested in parks, but universal might be on the cards, or some sort of theme park day.
It is a huge state and there are so many interesting options. What I would suggest, given your thoughts on LA parks is that if you are not intending on those parks, you use the i5 at a very carefully selected time in order to minimise traffic... like at night.

I am aware that you have read my trippie and I thank you for your positive comment. Our exit strategy, i.e Back up from San Diego, a night on RMS Queen Mary and then the sightseeing from Santa Monica worked incredibly well.. and in so doing placed us very close to LAX. You will also probably find that LAX is a far better value departure point financially than San Diego when it comes to buying flights.
One thing is for sure, I would have hated to have driven the 6-700 miles from San Francisco to San Diego and then be faced with a drive back in order to fly home!

P.S. I have been working. The spreadsheet will be sent when I get home... from more work.
2005 Disney. 2009 Idrive. 2010 Idrive, 2011 LBV+ Duck Key. 2012 Gulf Coast+ Villa. 2013 LBV Resort.2015 NY+Washington+Villa+Tampa. 2017 Pensacola+Destin+Villa. 2018 California N to S. 2019 Boston+NY+Dayton OH+Villa+Naples.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
SFO, Monterey, S L Obispo, Vancouver.
Unread 24 Jun 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Imagineer

Mobile

If you like theme parks for thrill rides then Six Flags magic mountain is amazing. They have some world class coasters. It feels a little rough In parts, and certainly not as squeaky clean as Disney or Universal but the rides are fantastic.
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by I love walmart View Post
If you like theme parks for thrill rides then Six Flags magic mountain is amazing. They have some world class coasters. It feels a little rough In parts, and certainly not as squeaky clean as Disney or Universal but the rides are fantastic.
That is a very fair summary of 6 flags. It very much reminds me of Thorpe Park. A little rough, but great rides.
2005 Disney. 2009 Idrive. 2010 Idrive, 2011 LBV+ Duck Key. 2012 Gulf Coast+ Villa. 2013 LBV Resort.2015 NY+Washington+Villa+Tampa. 2017 Pensacola+Destin+Villa. 2018 California N to S. 2019 Boston+NY+Dayton OH+Villa+Naples.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
SFO, Monterey, S L Obispo, Vancouver.
Unread 24 Jun 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Having Dinner with Goofy

Batman1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We might leave Yosemite for another trip and do the coast with the stops advised in the various threads here.
The last thing we want is to be knackered from traveling too much.

In terms of Hollywood and the touristy bits like studios etc, where is best to stay or are they very spread out ?
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Orlando first timers
Unread 24 Jun 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
VIP Dibber

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We might leave Yosemite for another trip and do the coast with the stops advised in the various threads here.
The last thing we want is to be knackered from traveling too much.

In terms of Hollywood and the touristy bits like studios etc, where is best to stay or are they very spread out ?
We stayed in Santa Monica and travelled in. Its about a 20 minute drive but you have to time it right. Go during rush hour and it can take an awful lot longer.
Everything is spewed out - certainly not walking distance. However, its easy to navigate with lots of transport options/tours so you will be fine.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We did a loop from and back to LAX via coast area, San Francisco, Yosemite, Lone Pine, Twentynine Palms and San Diego.

This was over a three week period, so it probably makes sense to fly ino A and out of B on a 2 week stay. 16 days is better as there is a lot of driving.

We didn't do Disney either, but spent a nice day at Knotts Berry Farm. However, for your trip I'd probably skip the LA area.

San Diego is a big hit on the Dibb, so that's probably a good place to fly back from.

Over a 2 week period with your preferences maybe San Francisco 4, Yosemite 3, Lone Pine 1 or 2 nights, Twentynine Palms (Joshua Tree) 2 and San Diego 5 or 6 nights if you can get the 16 day flights.

You'll miss out on the Pacific Coast Highway and LAX if you do this route. Maybe another trip.

This is a summary of our trip, including planning information.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1046701

Happy planning. It's a great place to visit, although more expensive than Florida.

Edited at 12:27 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Gulf coast