Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Florida Tix
Unread 13 Oct 08, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'll be back ,we go to LV next March so I've got plenty of time to read up.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
IKOS Dassia Corfu
Unread 13 Oct 08, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Diamonddog2801 View Post
Las Vegas is poorly served by direct flights from the UK to McCarran International in Vegas. As I'm aware, only three companies offer direct flights to Vegas, those being:
Virgin Atlantic
Fly daily from Gatwick to McCarran.
BMI
Currently fly from Manchester on Tuesdays/Thursdays/Sundays in summer months and Thursdays/Sundays only in winter. They quite often codeshare this service with Air New Zealand, I believe?
Thomas Cook
Fly from Manchester on Wednesdays/Saturdays in summer and Wednesdays only in winter. They were previously known as My Travel,of course.
... Thomas Cook flights quite often stop in Belfast or Glasgow for more passengers. This makes them no better than an indirect flight with a stop in the US. When you book, please make sure you know if your flight is scheduled for this -and ask for flight times with that taken into account.

Johnny Come Latelies
Sometimes you can get great deals by waiting until the last moment - but there's no guaranteees, and it's exceptionally difficult if you are booking for a family etc. I wouldn't recommend it now, but I did get some astonishing deals in the mid 90s doing this.
Diamond Dog,
Absolutely brilliant post.

Just a few points.
When looking for flights to Las Vegas, direct will take you there, but often people are trying to achieve non-stop. Just because the service is listed as direct doesn't mean it is non-stop.
( I know you know this ).

The BMI flight so far as I know may be a code share with US Airways, and is sometimes cheaper through them rather than with BMI itself.
The BMI website states " Please note we offer a direct service to Las Vegas on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and offer a connection via Chicago for the remaining days of the week. "
Even BMI do not make it obvious " direct " isn't automatically " non-stop ".

Thomas Cook Airlines flies from Manchester to Las Vegas on Wednesdays / Sundays / not Saturdays.
Sometimes it is cheaper to book a Thomas Cook Fly-Drive, rather than a Flight Only, you can then choose the no hire car option and make your own arrangements.
GM Card users can save themselves 9% by using GM Card Thomas Cook Travel Service, and there is no credit card charge.
The flight prices vary - even on the same Thomas Cook Airlines flight, by looking on the Direct Holidays / Airtours / My Travel / Thomas Cook websites. Check each of them before booking.

Regarding Johnny Come Latelies, totally agree about not leaving it to last minute, but if brave enough, Thomas Cook begin reducing flight prices around six weeks before departure. If you take a look three weeks before, they drop substantially, then a week before they hit their lowest - or disappear. ( For instance, this coming week, you could book @ 318, to fly at the week-end. Four weeks ago, this was 499, six weeks ago it was 590, beforehand it was 729. )

Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
York
Unread 13 Oct 08, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Diamonddog2801
Imagineer

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and pm's.

I'll wait until I finish the whole thing before I make any corrections - thanks very much for those too.

Can anyone confirm if Virgin still use the old 747s from Heathrow, or are they now using A320s, please?

I probably won't get a chance to work on this until Wednesday - but we're 2/3 of the way through, so we're nearly there!
Diamonddog2801 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Marazion in Cornwall
Unread 14 Oct 08, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Hal
Gloria sic transit mundi.

Hal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 17
Superb thread Diamonddog. Well done and thank you.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Quantum of the Seas maiden TA
Unread 14 Oct 08, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Superb thread Diamond Dog.we have been to florida now five times and we are both bored of it now so we are goin to vagas on our next holiday this is very helpful thanks alot
Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 08, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Diamonddog2801 View Post
Can anyone confirm if Virgin still use the old 747s from Heathrow, or are they now using A320s, please?

!
Virgin were still using the old 747's from GATWICK last weekend, I have emailed them several times and asked when they will be upgrading planes on this route and they dont seem to want tto give me a straight answer all they seem to want to do is tell me what awards they have won, what good service they offer and what good value they are.
Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 08, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
LolUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
just to add to Pino's post about flights, BA also do a direct supposed flight that isn't non-stop. They run Heathrow to Dallas before partnering you on an American internal flight to Vegas. A tad annoying!
LolUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BA First Class to New York
Unread 17 Oct 08, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Siddex
Very Serious Dibber

Siddex's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Brilliant post, some great information there. Thanks a lot.
Siddex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Florida Again - Finally