Closed Thread

Old 31 Oct 13, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by iwani View Post
Thanks Mick that's really helpful. Sounds a bit long-winded but useful to know you've done it successfully before.

One more question - if I'm slightly short of the amount I need in Clubcard vouchers can I pay part vouchers part cash?
I'm pretty sure you can but check the Tesco site to see if you can use them in part payment.

When we check in we hand them the voucher for say £150 but we always have dinner there so our total bill is say £200. They just take the £50 balance off our credit card. You can choose to leave a "swipe" and they just push the bill through your door overnight so you don't even have to hang about settling the bill when you check out.

Mick
Old 31 Oct 13, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks Mick, that's great information as I was just looking at the Hilton/Tesco vouchers today. We're still 7 months out and I was worried that they didn't appear to have any rooms when we needed one so your post has set my mind at ease

Thanks again.
Old 1 Nov 13, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Prige
Very Serious Dibber

Just done a dummy run for my dates and through tesco the room is £156 and booking direct is £96. I know it still works out cheaper as you get double/triple or whatever the value of your vouchers but that a bit sneaky!

Prige is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 13, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The £96 will be a discounted rate though. I can get a discounted family room for £74 for my days but fully expect it to "cost" double that when I go to book with Clubcard vouchers
Old 1 Nov 13, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Prige
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dpmcalister View Post
The £96 will be a discounted rate though. I can get a discounted family room for £74 for my days but fully expect it to "cost" double that when I go to book with Clubcard vouchers
What does discounted rate mean? being a but dumb probably, but don't want to book this price and find i am missing something.

Prige is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 13, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr_A
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Prige View Post
What does discounted rate mean? being a but dumb probably, but don't want to book this price and find i am missing something.
The Tesco room rate is inflated to take in to account the deal.

Therefore, when you book with the Tesco rate code, the room will be something like £200/night cash equivalent - I did it in 2011 and used something like £70 worth of vouchers to get a £210 accommodation voucher. If I had paid cash by going direct to Hilton, I would have probably got it for £100!

It all depends on how many Tesco vouchers you have and whether it is worth swapping them. I've often stayed at the Hilton on the Tesco deal, but now that Premier Inn have a property outside of LGW north terminal, I would probably pay cash for B&B there and use my vouchers on something else - horses for courses!
Mr_A is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 13, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Basically, it's a price that has had a discount applied to it. Invariably you can only have one discount applied to a price. For example, I can get a room at the Hilton for £74 if I use the MOD discount code but I wouldn't be able to use Clubcard vouchers to pay for a room at that price as they can only be used against the full price.

Hope that makes sense

Edit: beaten to it by Mr_A
Old 1 Nov 13, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladleboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by diddyangel View Post
Perfect for the Gatwick express train and Virgin flight then?

Might look into this deal for next year too. We're thinking about getting the train to save the long drive after the flight home. Never done it before though but the prices are really cheap compared to petrol and parking.
If thinking if using the train look at the Gatwick Flyaway. We use it whenever we go away and fly out of LGW.

Shaun
Ladleboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 13, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ladleboy View Post
If thinking if using the train look at the Gatwick Flyaway. We use it whenever we go away and fly out of LGW.

Shaun
Just to expand on this - I stay at the LGW Hilton quite often (work not pleasure) and the Gatwick Express is significantly more expensive than the other train operators (think its FCC and Southern) but is only a couple of minutes quicker. I never use the Express any more, for that reason.
Old 2 Nov 13, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Prige
Very Serious Dibber

Right I see, thanks guys

Can I use the tesco vouchers to pay for the room + parking deals that come up when it says "options for this room"

thanks

Edited at 09:20 AM.
Closed Thread