Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 10 Nov 17, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Water melon was $8.99 in Publix last year.

Fresh pizzas can cost more than going out and getting a cooked one!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Surely Graham Crackers would have been the same thing?
We asked but couldn’t find them . We were in a rush to get back due to him being so ill so did t gave the luxury of shopping around .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
The gmo worries me too Mexy02, that's why I like Whole Foods.
It’s shocking how much is gmo. Tbh the food has been a right pain. Disney actually charged me over $14 for 3 small ( and I mean small ) portions of cereal and milk the day we stayed at the contemporary. It was over $2 for 2 slices of bread to toast myself . Absolutely daylight robbery. Have to say as well the quality of Disney good really is poor this time. Offsite has been fantastic. So much do dh said he would never do the dining plan although we were tempted to book for 2019 when it’s released in April. It’s really changed our minds.
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
It’s shocking how much is gmo. Tbh the food has been a right pain. Disney actually charged me over $14 for 3 small ( and I mean small ) portions of cereal and milk the day we stayed at the contemporary. It was over $2 for 2 slices of bread to toast myself . Absolutely daylight robbery. Have to say as well the quality of Disney good really is poor this time. Offsite has been fantastic. So much do dh said he would never do the dining plan although we were tempted to book for 2019 when it’s released in April. It’s really changed our minds.
We’ve eaten very little on site as we just don’t enjoy the Disney dining experience. We did breakfast in the hotel (AKL) the first day but the bread to toast ourselves was 79c which is very reasonable. However since then we’ve gotten breakfast when we’ve been out.

We did one QS meal, Be Our Guest, and although it was good when we got into the dining area, the queue was long and slow (would hate to be there at a peak time) - I didn’t know about pre-ordering then. I couldn’t be doing with that everyday.

All,our evening meals have been off site and the only bad one was Smokey Bones, everything else has been great - service, food and value wise. We also did Busch Gardens yesterday and had all day dining included in our ticket - we wouldn’t have paid for it but we all thought the food was pretty good for park food, and everything was generally noticeably cheaper than Disney.

I did notice groceries are expensive here - $4.49 for a packet of bagels shocked me yesterday. Fruit also seems very expensive. It’s alright for us, as I imagine if we can afford to go to Orlando then we can pay inflated prices for a couple of weeks without difficulty, however I do wonder how regular people who live here afford it.
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

I posted this in another thread recently. A few examples of actual Publix prices in USD - taken from my receipts this September. I didn't bother to shop around - I could have got better prices if I did, or by going to Walmart or Target. As Publix is comparable to Waitrose, I don't see the prices are really all that different overall. If you go to the Ethnic aisle for imported British brands instead, you can't be surprised if you pay inflated prives.

6 large eggs 0.69
2 pork loin rib chops 3.77
2 butterflied pork chops 5.74
4 chicken breasts 5.99
6 chicken tenders 5.99
Frozen individual chicken/beef pot pies 3.53
Frozen steak fries (for 2) 2.90
Pulled pork (for 2) 5.49
Microwaveable pork/beef/chicken/turkey (for 2) 4.99 to 7.99
Pk prepared vegetables (carrot/broccoli - for 2) 2.99
Pk prepared mixed salad (for 3) 2.99
Bag white potatoes 3.99
Pk 4 baking potatoes 2.99
Butter spread 3.59
1.74L bottle Tropicana Orange Juice 3.34
Simply Lemonade 3.49
4 Greek cherry yoghurts 3.99
2 portions cheesecake 4.29
4 Hoagie rolls 2.69
French bread (2 foot) 1.99
Apple pie (for 3) 3.39
Blueberry pie (for 3) 3.79
Cherry pie (for 3) 4.59
0.5gal 2% fat milk 2.70
Pk 6x0.5L bottles Coke 4.49
(Pepsi/Minute Maid lemonade same)
On the pies and coke, they often do Buy 1 get 1 free.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post

the answer is, eat Junk, its alot cheaper in the US
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I did notice groceries are expensive here - $4.49 for a packet of bagels shocked me yesterday. Fruit also seems very expensive. It’s alright for us, as I imagine if we can afford to go to Orlando then we can pay inflated prices for a couple of weeks without difficulty, however I do wonder how regular people who live here afford it.
Places like Publix push their BOGO and other promotions like 2 for $5 etc and Target push their Red Card for 5% discount on everything.

This leaves the tourist at their mercy as people who are on holiday for a couple of weeks just want to get in and get out normally so don't shop the offers.

Target pay their employees a min wage of $11 and Publix also pay better than Wal Mart, plus their benefits are much better so that puts their prices a little higher.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Junk isn’t that cheap either , needed a warm drink as it’s cooler sat here in typhoon lagoon . Clothes have been cheaper than food this trip .

$14 for a CK t shirt .
Sept 24 POFQ
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
rosetom
slightly serious Dibber

rosetom's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4
hi we recently shopped in Aldi St. Petes and Cortez and found the prices compatible to uk but much more quality,we also did Winn Dixie and food market and yes prices were a lot higher there,also not many staff around and one checkout open ,but this was in the evening 6ish,cases of bud,coors,michalobe,24 bottles $19.00 bargain
rosetom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I noticed a big difference last week since Aug this year. Prices which were already higher than the UK seem to have moved up even more. Makes you wonder if we have this in store in a year of 2 once we are Brexited.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List