Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 May 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
**Update** post 1 Any car ‘experts’ here?

**Update** thanks again everyone, AA visited this morning. Confident now fixed but it was the backing plate was too close on the disc. I will be calling Toyota customer service tomorrow as I feel this shouldn’t have happened in a brand new car, the day after driving off the forecourt.
Arghhhhh - no longer doing it when braking but as loud as ever when I turn the steering wheel (driver’s side front). AA on their way again.

Long shot asking but dealership closed (on lockdown) and I’m getting frustrated. Brand new Toyota Yaris automatic, drive off forecourt shortly before UK lockdown, within days noticed loud ‘grating’ noise when braking. Called dealership straightaway, asked if any warning lights, no there aren’t, ok still to drive but they will check it over when reopen.
In the meantime noise is now worse, it sounds like a metal grinder when breaking and even when driving slowly, still no warning lights. Really loud, not just a squeak or rattle.
Have fired off an email to Toyota as dealership is closed but copying dealership, saying I’m not prepared to drive until checked out.
Curiosity is getting the better of me though and I wondered if there’s any petrol heads here with any thoughts ?

Thanks

Edited at 10:54 AM.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Possibly something like a stone trapped between the brake disk and pad?
Is the car being used a lot? Can you see the brake disks through the wheels? If so can you see any rust. Sometimes a car - if it has been sitting a while can build up rust on the disks. If this gets really bad - it can cause noise.

If the car was not new - then the pads could be worn through and the metal is touching the disk. This is very bad if this is the case and the garage should never have let the car out without fixing - in fact would suggest they didn't even check it.

You cant mess with brakes so see if any local mechanic's place is open that could do a check. Phone a few.

Edited at 11:02 AM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Possibly something like a stone trapped between the brake disk and pad?
Is the car being used a lot? Can you see the brake disks through the wheels? If so can you see any rust. Sometimes a car - if it has been sitting a while can build up rust on the disks. If this gets really bad - it can cause noise.

If the car was not new - then the pads could be worn through and the metal is touching the disk. This is very bad if this is the case and the garage should never have let the car out without fixing - in fact would suggest they didn't even check it.

You cant mess with brakes so see if any local mechanic's place is open that could do a check. Phone a few.
Thank you

I’m obviously not happy, have brought my last 2 Yaris’ there no problem, this was brand new and I think yes potentially it can’t have been checked properly.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Dirt in stones can get between any pad and disc anywhere.
Can you identify where the sound us coming from\‘ I.e. from rear passengers side.
Have a look if you can see the disc, is it marked? Like a score in it?

Either that, is a brake pad is stuck on or not releasing properly, for tgat seee how warm the wheel is. As a sticking pad will heat the wheel up.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Dirt in stones can get between any pad and disc anywhere.
Can you identify where the sound us coming from\‘ I.e. from rear passengers side.
Have a look if you can see the disc, is it marked? Like a score in it?

Either that, is a brake pad is stuck on or not releasing properly, for tgat seee how warm the wheel is. As a sticking pad will heat the wheel up.
Thank you

It's coming from drivers side front wheel, even if I've only turned the steering wheel slightly it starts, turning the wheel and braking/slowing you need ear plugs.

Edited at 04:13 PM.
Old 2 May 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Not an expert at all, but I don’t think it would be rust on the brakes.

We have a new Audi that is being driven very infrequently, there is rust building on the brakes and it caused at most a little squeak on slow breaking. This was after not using for 2 weeks. Drove around a bit and made sure to break hard a few times and it completely cleared it.

We’ve had cars left whilst on holiday for 5 weeks and still the build up of rust didn’t cause the sound you are describing.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clare View Post
Thank you

It's coming from drivers side front wheel, even if I've only turned the steering wheel slightly it starts, turning the wheel and braking/slowing you need ear plugs.
Is it only happening when turning?

Does it not happen on a straight line?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

If you have aa cover I’d be tempted to phone them and say it doesn’t feel safe to drive.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Is it only happening when turning?

Does it not happen on a straight line?
Originally it was happening when just turning but it's now doing it driving at low speed in a straight (ish) line, ie if I'm holding the steering wheel firmly centrally it doesn't do it but as soon as the steering wheel is even a small bit off centre it does it.
Old 2 May 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
If you have aa cover I’d be tempted to phone them and say it doesn’t feel safe to drive.
I think I might give that a go thank you.