Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 19 Mar 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Jack Daniel's
VIP Dibber

Rented Points not being refunded

Rented Points from "A" forum member have now been refunded to them with a use year of over 8 months now but they give me the impression they don't want to refund me the $2550.

We cant go this year now as all our vacation days have been used for next month & to late to change it.

Where do i stand or what would points renters do?

Would my insurance cover such a loss?

ie "A" forum is not The Dibb
2013 Aulani / Disneyland Hotel
2010/13/16/17/18/19 DLRP
2009 POR 2008 POR
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Orlando International Resort Int` Drive
1994 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
1993 Comfort Inn 1992 Continental Plaza
1991 Howard Johnston 1990 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
Jack Daniel's is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Jack Daniel's View Post
Rented Points from "A" forum member have now been refunded to them with a use year of over 8 months now but they give me the impression they don't want to refund me the $2550.

We cant go this year now as all our vacation days have been used for next month & to late to change it.

So sorry to hear this and hope you can sort something out.

There's a lot of variables so the following might not apply and this is only my thoughts.

Not sure when you were going but for anyone in a similar position I would suggest don't cancel and leave it up to the resort or airline to cancel first as you'll then have a better chance of being covered on insurance.

But you indicate it's already been cancelled

Presumably the contract you signed had a cancellation policy, what does it state?

Was it cancelled by the owner or by yourself?

When were you checking in and when were you flying?

If it was cancelled due to the resort closing, then one would hope that's similar to the owner cancelling as the owner can't now offer you the dates in your contract; hopefully you should then receive a full refund.

Or did you give instructions to cancel while the resort was still planned to be open, if so what does the contract state if you are the one to cancel?

Also bear in mind, while the owner might well have the points returned and can be used over the next 8-months, availability will be a problem and rebooking you in for a similar amount of nights in one resort might not be an option.

Because you do have a contract then hopefully your insurance company will cover you, but I would only think that's so long as it was cancelled by the resort, DVC member, or if flights were cancelled.

If you cancelled while the resort was still planned to be open and flights were not cancelled or under the ban on UK flights entering the USA then I can't see how any insurance would cover you.

Hope other members or those in a similar position will be able to give you more advice but possibly need a little more information on dates, etc from you.

Again, this is only my thoughts and stay safe.

Edited at 05:16 PM.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Renting is usually a non refundable transaction so if that’s
What your agreement is with them then you’ll have to try your travel insurance. The renter may have the points back but they may be if no use to them. Some points are being returned to the owner with their use year and the naming window has passed. Which means the owner is not able to use them in this current climate before they expire. Whether they have them back or not is not really the issue. If your agreement was non refundable then that’s what it is I’m afraid, but hopefully your insurance can assist.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Unfortunately, I think a lot of renters are in the same situation with losing their money. Some owners and rental companies are doing the best they can even if the renter didn't buy travel insurance but not everyone will get the outcome they want.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 20 Mar 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Timeshare points are rarely covered by insurance. I would pursue the dibber that sold you these!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Timeshare points are rarely covered by insurance. I would pursue the dibber that sold you these!
They don’t cover a timeshare
From an owner however this should be viewed the same a renting a villa. Therefore should be covered, it’s up to the renter to have valid insurance not the owner of the villa or point owner.

And again, it depends on the t&c’s they agreed when renting.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
They’ve already said it’s not a dibber.
Old 20 Mar 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Mobile

I would have thought the renter can sell on giving you the money back, that’s what I would do as a renter

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 06:02 AM  
Link to this Post
zavandor
Earning More Ears

Mobile

The reason point rental is cheaper than paying cash is because it has more risks.
zavandor is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Does travel ins not cover this? So if you have to cancel I thought it would be covered