Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8 Dec 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Bayous to Beaches. Oct 2019.Day 3 New Orleans. Garden District, Bourbon and Frenchmen Street

Thursday 3 October

Yesterday is HERE

As a reminder, we are now into the non Florida leg of this trip. We will return to the sunshine state in a week’s time

Another early morning both awake at 4.30, we dozed for a bit till 5.30 and then had a coffee around 6.

I did a bit more planning for the walking tour - basically writing a list of house numbers for the main streets and working out which order to walk around in and taking screen shots from the web site to help.

The guided tours all took around 90 minutes and were $25 to 30 per person and based on the last couple of tours we had here, we were both a bit doubtful about whether these were going to suit us. So its DIY time.

We picked up another coffee from the hotel lobby and headed out at 0830. The French Quarter was very quiet

We had to pick up transport from Canal Street but I wasn't sure exactly where. Once we were out of the shade of the buildings we could feel it was already heating up.

We also knew we needed the exact fare for the street car ($1.25). I had tried to buy the jazz pass on line but the RTA app wouldn’t work on my phone so cash it was.

Andy went into the CVS to get some change while I tried to work out which line we needed - turns out we were at the wrong stop and someone helpfully pointed out where we needed to be.

We caught the bus on Carrolton just by the footlocker store

These are the markers to look out for

The bus took us to Lee Circle where we got off and transferred to the St Charles street car.

People were very helpful making sure tourists knew they had to get off and change over.

I know when we set off on the bus Andy was looking at me like what are we doing on here but it all worked out ok.

As a side note , we passed by O’Keefe and Poydras on the way - I had noted both of these streets in case we made it to Willa Jean or Mothers. We didn’t in the end but I think these may be places I would take a taxi too rather than walk, some parts were quite run down as you got further away from the main tourist areas and possibly not ideal for ambling around on our own. We haven’t felt unsafe in New Orleans ( a bit nervous when we got lost in Algiers maybe) but we are careful to stick pretty much to the advised areas.

The street car ride was fun. We got off at Washington and headed down towards Magazine Street.

This was a great route as we passed Lafayette Cemetery on the right (noting that it was closed until further notice)

and Commanders Palace on the left

So two sights ticked off on the way to breakfast.

I was taken by two things.

Firstly the state of the pavements is shocking. There are big chunks missing - you cant quite see in the pics but in some places there a considerable drop from one pavement section to another and it definitely wouldn’t be wheelchair or buggy friendly.

You had to watch your step carefully.

Secondly the abundance of wild aspidistras.

Having managed to kill every single plant of this I have ever owned, I love to see the fact it just grows in the wild here.

We had a look at some of the lovely houses, some dressed for Halloween but not as many as I had expected.

As we reached Magazine Street we were briefly tempted by Ruby Slipper as we walked past but carried spying the preferred destination ahead

Now this is deceiving as the cafe sign is on the top floor so we thought it was up there but after trying several locked doors and successfully avoiding arrest for looking like we were trying to break in we found it.

We were confused but turns out it’s round the corner in the courtyard bottom left unit

Lovely place

I had a strawberry mimosa.

It was a speggtacular choice - all further yolks taken from the food trippy and are an homage to neilhd and his eggsploits.

I went for the eggcellent Strawberry Pound cake combo

Andy had the eggceedingly good brisket combo

It was a cracking meal

I couldn’t finish all the cake and had some for breakfast the next day.

I did then have coffee

The bill was not eggspensive at all

We waddled off for our tour very eggcited to have eaten here.

I think his are still the winners

It was considerably hotter when we stepped out and now I was also carrying the remaining pound cake with me that I hadn’t managed to finish.

We walked back up Washington so we had the cemetery on our left - where I peeked in through the closed gates

This sign made me laugh - its to the point

and then we took a right in front of Commanders Palace

Lots of lovely places

the only one I can outright remember is this is Benjamin Button House.

More nice houses.

See we found the " horse house"

Helpfully we kept running into the back end of some walking tours so managed to pick up a few things and it was useful to know we were in the right area.

the good thing is that it’s basically a giant loop to see the main sights so not too difficult to work out with good old google maps.

After about an hour we had really had enough of the sightseeing and I had ticked off most of the places on my list so we headed back for the streetcar - back to Washington where we had got off.

Some random dude came over and had a right old natter with us. We assumed he was waiting for the street car too but when it appeared he just said his goodbyes and tootled off.

Garden District is nice but I think the historic quarter in Charleston was the hands down winner for most beautiful homes this trip

Edited at 09:39 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List