Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Apr 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Kids not returning to uni after easter

I'm sure this probably applies to all universities, but my son and his girlfriend aren't returning to uni the rest of this uni year (2019/20).

They are fortunate that they were in uni accommodation (a couples flat) so they won't have to pay the remainder of the rent for this year providing they don't go back (or I won't have to pay the uni rent for our son the remainder of the year).

So once the lockdown is over I will have to take my son back to collect his remaining bits from the uni flat.

I feel for those uni kids/parents who are renting private accommodation and still have to pay rent even though they won't be going back.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
rhyger
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Unfortunately think we'll have to pay until 4 Sept as the accommodation was a 52 week rental. Few bits and bobs still there and can't go to sort it out
rhyger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
How do they get grades?
My dd due to start uni in sept and us waiting for grades from A levels, does your son go back to uni at all?
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mine hasn’t been to uni since January as they were deeply affected by the strike so he has done 1 term at uni in total. A very expensive term.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Not applicable to me. But do Parents get a refund on tuition fees as the Universities are closed?

Logic says yes. What is the answer please.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Not applicable to me. But do Parents get a refund on tuition fees as the Universities are closed?

Simple answer no. Halls are refunding 1 term . Mine had paid over £9k for 3 months uni . Lectures went online in March but are in chaos and all fieldwork cancelled which are a massive part of the degree. Technically the building is closed the uni is open.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

No they dont all learning has gone online rather than face to face learning so no refunds of tuition fees
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Mobile

Daughter still paying rent
Has been affected by strikes before and after Xmas
Had one face to face lecture spring term before it all
Closed and went online
She’s in her final year and has little contact with her
Dissertation tutor
And has to pay full for everything
Also grad ball cancelled and a virtual graduation in July
But they are looking to rebook the graduations for next year -
Disappointing end
But if everyone we knows comes out of this the other side ... then I’ll be happy
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Unfortunately as mexy02 says there won't be any refund because they will be doing lectures online.

The uni initially made a statement that students won't get less than the grade they have achieved so far this uni year which is good for him as he's well into a first, but then they said that criteria won't apply to all courses where external accreditation is required. So he is now waiting to find out what they will be doing with his course.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Universities aren’t closed, only the campus’ - both DH and I work at two different universities, everything has moved online (where possible) and students are progressing into the next year and graduating as normal.

DH has been working non-stop, evenings and weekends too, to ensure all his students are supported. He took this weekend off thankfully but still responding to emails as they come in. There’s a lot of work going on behind the scenes in every university.
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List