Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 3 Apr 20, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Anyone use RCI? Hawaii?

Hi all,

So it’s looking increasingly likely that our mega August trip (using banked, current and borrowed points!) is likely to be cancelled.

In order to save the 150 points I’d banked, I think my only option is going to be to put them in RCI.

As we want to (as much as we can) make this same trip happen in 2021, we would still like to go to Hawaii, but I’m nervous about the possibility of rising costs next year - we already won’t have enough DVC points to have the same number of nights in Aulani, and we had planned to stay the rest of our time at the Outrigger beach in Waikiki - but again, I doubt we will get a good price for it, especially as next year I wouldn’t risk a non-refundable rate which I have booked this time. So I’m looking at RCI, and it seems I could use points there for a week at Club Wyndham at Waikiki Beachwalk.

Whilst I’d be compromising the outrigger, I don’t mind the location of the Wyndham as it’s near lots of the restaurants we would like to visit, but I was just wondering (a) if anyone has stayed at this hotel (b) has anyone booked Hawaii through RCI and was it difficult to secure bookings? The RCI info on the DVC page seems quite vague & I'm just wondering if the process gets easier and clearer once you’ve moved your points over to RCI?

I get that I could use the points elsewhere, but in real terms - this holiday is, I think, going to be much more costly than we’d paid this year, and we also have Japan planned for 2022 (another expensive one, & as my son turns 18 that year, and we are also looking to have to cancel this surprise Hawaii trip to mark the end of his GCSEs (that he’s no longer doing), I would really just like to do these two holidays, and won’t have the budget to go elsewhere with RCI in the two year period), so I need to somehow make the points work in either Hawaii or Japan.

Many thanks for any thoughts/advice - trying to salvage something good out of all this - just hoping I get my money back for the non-refundable hotels/flights for August, otherwise we won’t be going anywhere next year xx

Edited at 07:03 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Amy

I found on the DIBB so few people had been to Hawaii (and even less through DVC, and then I guess even less than that through RCI) you may get a better range of responses elsewhere.

But just a thought: I don’t know when your points need to be used but could you rent them out to someone like David’s? You’d get the cash then which you could use to pay for the Outrigger.

I found our BLT points were in high demand and I quite easily got $5000 over the last few years (which I used to pay for accommodation for Hawaii and New Orleans, different trips).

It may not work but thought I’d suggest it.
Old 4 Apr 20, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Amy

I found on the DIBB so few people had been to Hawaii (and even less through DVC, and then I guess even less than that through RCI) you may get a better range of responses elsewhere.

But just a thought: I don’t know when your points need to be used but could you rent them out to someone like David’s? You’d get the cash then which you could use to pay for the Outrigger.

I found our BLT points were in high demand and I quite easily got $5000 over the last few years (which I used to pay for accommodation for Hawaii and New Orleans, different trips).

It may not work but thought I’d suggest it.
Hi Karen, great to hear from you - I hope you are all keeping well? xxx

Our points are banked Dec UY ones, so assuming we get notification that our 31/7 flights are cancelled, I’m guessing I’d have from mid July until the end of the year for David’s to use them - I’ve rented out points with him a couple of times & would certainly do so again, I guess I was just worried in the current climate that no one would actually be renting, especially in that short window of time? They obv could only be used for last minute bookings now, so wonder if David would be inundated with people trying to get shot of expiring points, and not enough people willing to travel yet?

But you are right - the outrigger would definitely be our preferred option, so I should definitely try the rental route first. Thank you for posting xxx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
We are having same discussion about our trip in September since our banking window ends in July. We have a contingency if we think it’s looking like our trip won’t go ahead but sincerely hope so 🤞🤞🤞