Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Mar 17, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
lpop
A Guest at All-Stars

South Wales flight options

Hi all,

We live in Swansea and are looking at our first Florida trip October / November 2018.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any advice on flights?

We're pretty flexible but the cheaper and more convenient the better.

Ideally direct from Cardiff or Bristol would be good but not sure if there are direct flights from these airports and if there are I'm guessing you'd likely have to pay a premium?

Could look at Birmingham, Manchester or London airports but what is the cheapest option generally there?

Finally, we could consider an indirect flight. With a stop off in Dublin, Iceland or somewhere I understand we could complete our ESTA and maybe get cheaper flights with not much inconvenience and maybe similar in terms of travelling time to going to London, etc

Any input appreciated!

Thanks
lpop is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
stargazer69
Getting Excited

Virgin fly direct from Gatwick & Manchester, BA from Gatwick
Thomson may fly from Bristol, but I think it is Gatwick and Thomas Cook from Manchester

TC have done the occasional flight from Cardiff but few and far between.

We are travelling from Swansea to Gatwick and flying with Virgin.

POR 2022
OKW 2019, SSR 2017, OKW 2015, OKW 2013
stargazer69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Robblps
Very Serious Dibber

I'm from Merthyr, the easiest route at the best price is always Gatwick I'm afraid
Robblps is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I think you can change at Reading for a train to Gatwick, without having to go through London.

Sadly flights from Cardiff are rare - I think last year there was a total of one flight!

Stay overnight at Gatwick - the Premier Inn North Terminal is great, 5 min walk to the airport and you can get cheap rates if book during one of their offers. Sign up for their emails and you will get alerts for offers.

Say hello to Swansea for me. I still crave Joe's ice cream!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post

It's a long time since Cardiff offered regular flights. You can do Cardiff Dublin Dublin Orlando but it is less expensive to go from Gatwick usually. I wish there were regular Cardiff flights. We'd be on them too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Only be charters doing direct from the likes of Cardiff and Bristol. Plenty of options from LON of course which is why - in theory - prices are more competitive! Shouldn't be a problem doing Cardiff to Dublin to Orlando though, as long as the connection times are favourable. Either use Aer Lingus on a through ticket to get the max baggage allowance or do LowCo to DUB to pick up any of the several airlines that now fly to MCO from there. Otherwise it's the GWR flyaway group ticket to Gatiwck via Reading, which gives you a open return, or a drive to LON and a cheap overnighter in a premier inn!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ElsasGloves
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thomson fly from Bristol on a Sunday and from Birmingham on a Tuesday and Thursday I think.
We are in South Wales and prefer to fly from Birmingham than trekking all the way to Gatwick.
If you book early enough the prices are reasonable with Thomson and you fly direct.
There might have been one flight that went from Cardiff this year and I think it was possibly Thomas cook in July...
ElsasGloves is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_piggy
Proud to wear my Ears

We've just had a good deal on thomson flights from Bristol for this year, looking forward to not having the long trek to Gatwick!
miss_piggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

We go to whichever airport works out cheapest and stay the night before. We have done Gatwick with BA and Virgin, this summer we are going to Manchester with Thomas Cook. I can't hold my nerve for indirects and possibly better prices. The thought of delays or not getting the dates we want would stress me out far too much. The only real problem is the journey home after an overnight flight.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisylou
Excited about Disney

We live in Swansea and are flying from Bristol this year on a Sunday with Thomson . Already looked at Thomson for next year and they have changed to a Friday. Not sure you would be able to fly from Bristol in October/November as they only operate at certain times of the year.

Birmingham would be the next best bet if Thomson fly in October/November otherwise its the trek to Gatwick. Staying over the night before is not an issue, it's that LONG drive home after an overnight flight.
Lisylou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List