Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Mar 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
True.

That assumes that Disney has reduced the capacity nowadays compared to previous years, probably to save money. I personally don't think this is the case? I don't think Disney is running less tracks or theatres now compared to 5 or 6 years ago. If anything, they've spent money to increase capacity at rides like TSM and Soarin', adding an extra track and theatre at these two attractions.

I could be wrong though and maybe that is another reason why it's more difficult to book FPs nowadays compared to previous years.
I'm not aware of this happening, but I suppose it's conceivable it could happen without people being notified. The ride would still be operational after all.
Old 20 Mar 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
True.

That assumes that Disney has reduced the capacity nowadays compared to previous years, probably to save money. I personally don't think this is the case? I don't think Disney is running less tracks or theatres now compared to 5 or 6 years ago. If anything, they've spent money to increase capacity at rides like TSM and Soarin', adding an extra track and theatre at these two attractions.

I could be wrong though and maybe that is another reason why it's more difficult to book FPs nowadays compared to previous years.
The only evidence I have heard of this is that easywdw.com has been reporting that Dinosaur is opening at 9.30 rather than park opening, and that for the first hour or maybe a bit longer of operation they are running only one side. I think he has said Primeval Whirl is also often opened with only one side running. It was certainly only operating one side during the morning of our February visit but that could have been a technical problem.
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by moosha View Post
The only evidence I have heard of this is that easywdw.com has been reporting that Dinosaur is opening at 9.30 rather than park opening, and that for the first hour or maybe a bit longer of operation they are running only one side. I think he has said Primeval Whirl is also often opened with only one side running. It was certainly only operating one side during the morning of our February visit but that could have been a technical problem.
I believe during our visit in Feb they were running only one side of Primeval Whirl as well. Wait time was at 50-70 minutes the whole time we were at Animal Kingdom.

I think I also read that Dinosaur will be closing an hour earlier then Animal Kingdom from now on also. Here's a link to the article. When we were there it was already closing half an hour before park closing.

What I don't understand is why disney are purposely throttling their own output on guest wait times and satisfaction if they are purposely closing tracks and running less theatres, etc. Makes no sense to me considering how much money they are making.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
What I don't understand is why disney are purposely throttling their own output on guest wait times and satisfaction if they are purposely closing tracks and running less theatres, etc. Makes no sense to me considering how much money they are making.
… in order to convince people they need to pay for fastpasses?
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Disney will have the data as to whether enough people are going on certain rides so can reduced costs by reducing operating hours. If more guests started to want to ride at these times then Disney would most likely increase the operating capacity/hours. It's the same as park opening hours, Disney could if they wanted to have all the park openings hours the same for everyday all year but they know that in the winter months they can reduced the hours as less people go to the parks then.

We can only guess as we don't have the data.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by moosha View Post
Most of the times I’ve been on Primeval Whirl they’ve only run one side. I don’t think I’ve ever ridden on the left hand side track.

Reducing the capacity at this ride is nothing new. I know they do often reduce the capacity at rides sometimes, especially during ‘quieter’ times, and they always have. My question was whether they are reducing it more nowadays compared to previous times.

As for Dinosaur - see below. From April, it will actually open for longer than it currently is.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 09:28 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I think I also read that Dinosaur will be closing an hour earlier then Animal Kingdom from now on also. Here's a link to the article. When we were there it was already closing half an hour before park closing.
The article states that currently Dinosaur opens 30 mins after park opening and closes 30 mins before park closing.

After 31st March it will open at park opening and close one hour before park closing.

So, relative to park times, it will be open the same amount of time as it is currently.

In addition, in April AK will open later. So from 7th April the park will open 1.5 hours later than before. That means Dinosaur will actually be open for 1.5 hours longer than it currently does.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List