Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Mar 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hailz
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I've just called my travel insurance (LV) to inform them I've got gallstones. They've said I don't need to add this to my policy as it was diagnosed after taking out my policy so I will be covered. Does this sound right? I'm wary about going on holiday something happens and I'm not covered.
Hailz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I wouldn’t go.
I had no idea I had gallstones when I went to Tenerife in 2002 but ended up in intensive care over there for a week.
The consultant told my husband I wouldn’t survive the night as I was so ill with acute pancreatitis, he was amazed when he walked on to the ward the next morning and I was still there.
I had my gallbladder out 3 days after leaving intensive care and then discharged 2 days later.
The bill was over £30,000 and if I hadn’t had insurance we would probably have had to sell our house to pay the bill.
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Ash
Imagineer

A little insight for you...

I live in the US and was diagnosed with GS almost 11 years, saw a surgeon and was given a date for mid July, I asked them to change it so I could have time to arrange childcare, time off work etc, I was given a new date for the beginning of aug. I was having day surgery, in at breakfast time and home by dinner time.

I was very careful about what I ate etc, the original surgery date came and went by 2 or 3 days, I woke up in the early hours in extreme pain, by late morning I was crawling on my hands and knees in so much pain I literally thought I was dying.

I was admitted to the hospital, they found that a stone was stuck in the bile duct and had caused a serious internal infection and had affected my liver.

My day surgery turned into emergency surgery, 3 endoscopies, stent in the bile duct and a week in hospital.

Remember this was 11 years ago, before my insurance kicked in the bills were up over $90,000 and that price tag includes ‘discount agreements’ between my insurance and the hospital, it would have been higher still had I gone to an out of network hospital. After everything was settled my out of pocket was around $2000.

If you risk the travel you had better make sure you have good insurance coverage.
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Morethescarier7
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by babywebb View Post
Same here just had my letter today to book to see consultant, gall stones already confirmed via scan now got appointment 17th may just hoping it can be removed before October holiday , but not holding out much hope
I think you’ll have had the operation by then.
Try not to worry.
Push for it!
Tell them you’re in a lot of pain and need it taken out ASAP, ask for any cancellations.
Tell them you’re not eating for fear of an attack.
Honestly you’ll feel a million times better.
Morethescarier7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hailz View Post
I've just called my travel insurance (LV) to inform them I've got gallstones. They've said I don't need to add this to my policy as it was diagnosed after taking out my policy so I will be covered. Does this sound right? I'm wary about going on holiday something happens and I'm not covered.
It could be right, it will be in the small print of your policy. I had an annual policy with Axa and I didn't have to advise them of any new illness during that year until it was renewal time. Every insurance company is different.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Please contact an insurer to disclose the condition and hopefully get the condition accepted. I would only cancel if I got medical advice to that effect as an insurer will require that medical advice anyway and no point cancelling right now as daughter has no cover so no claim for whatever holiday costs you have paid so far. I am not sure when you booked holiday or how much you have paid so far but sitting in mid March with no insurance for a holiday start of May may come back to bite you I am afraid. Not every insurer will agree to cover your daughter - the adage being you don't agree to insure a house that's already on fire - or they may want high premium. The horror stories about costs over there are unfortunately not fiction. I hope you can get something sorted and your daughter feels better soon.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List