Notices

Old 24 May 17, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

EUROCAMP: A Long Weekend On The French Atlantic Coast- day 1 Travel Day

This weekend is a long weekend here in France - Thursday is Ascension and Friday is basically a day where few work and the schools are shut!

Last week, F (DD12) asked if we could go away in a tent... Now I am the first to admit I don't do tents but I had read about Eurocamp on here. I had a look with F and was amazed at how reasonable it was - £120 for 4 nights in a mobile home on the Atlantic coast about a 3hour drive from home.

DH and DS15 were on board, a campsite was picked for it proximity to the beach and the slides it had and before you knew it I had booked! I elected to pay a whole extra £8 for a mobile home near the beach!

So who are we:
Me -Mel aged 48. I am a training manager in a small company. Mum of two and wife of one I love travelling!

DH - J aged 49. He works hard to fund our holidays! A keen cyclist but currently off the bike due to a nasty accident 5 weeks ago when he crashed into DS resulting in at least one cracked rib! Loves water!

DS - O aged 15. A delightful boy with a great sense of humour. He has just started learning to drive and loving it!

DD - F aged 12. A lovely lass who has recently discovered sewing! A future fashion designer? She is diabetic but doesn't let that get in her way!

The campsite is Le Vieux Port in Messanges. As you can see it is right next to the beach. It is an enormous site. It is a new departure for us to stay on a campsite but we are all looking forward to it!

We are staying in a 3 bed mobile home. It seems to have everything we need for the stay!

So back to today!

O and J were up at 6am - the kids gave school this morning and J has work. I am off (I don't work Wednesdays )

They left at 7.15am. F got up, had breakfast and got ready, having another look at the poem she wrote last night for her French class this morning (not her strongest subject! )

I ran her to school at 8.20am then nipped to the supermarket to pick up some supplies.

Back at home, I have continued to get the washing finished and tidy up a bit!

I feel we are taking the kitchen sink - the two cases above just have the bedding (booked too late to order bedding) and wetsuits! At least driving we don't have a space issue!

J is hopefully booking surf lessons this morning for the kids. He is hoping to rent a paddle board! We have body boards too!

The aim is to chill out - the forecast is pretty good! The kids love the water so it should be fun!

Off out to run dome errands and pick up O at 11.50am.

Not sure what time we will leave. O has a driving lesson from 3-4pm and J doesn't know what time he will get away.

J arrived home at 4.30pm which wasn't bad going. By 5pm we were on our way.

The motorway wasn't too bad - but we were going north rather than south - south had lots of traffic jams according to the radio.

We came off the motorway north of Agen and were then on A roads.

The scenery changed to trees and more trees - somewhat reminiscent of Quebec!

We ate sandwiches on the go - a quicker option than stopping somewhere!

There was some traffic around Mont de Marsan which slowed us down a little but all in all it wasn't too bad considering it was a holiday weekend!

We arrived at about 8.30pm. The reception was closed and there was quite a queue at the guard's hut.

We eventually got dealt with but were told just where our mobile home was and that it would be open - he did call a number but something was lost in translation.

We drove to it - and it was locked! As we were about to go back a Eurocamp girl - Aiofe - came along on her bike with the key!

First impressions - it was hot but clean and good for what we had paid!

We quickly made the beds and then hotfooted it out to the beach!

What a sunset!

We played some ball - the water was cold on our feet but that was a good thing as it was hot!

The kids were so happy to be at the beach!

The guy who J had booked the surf lessons with was at his hut! J told him we would meet him there tomorrow as it was nearer than the carpark

We chatted with him for half an hour before climbing the sand dunes and back to the mobile home (I promise photos tomorrow )

Showers were had to cool down! Everyone is in bed but it is hot! I forgot that about mobile homes

Hopefully the fresh air will help us sleep!

Steps for the day : 15806 (11.2km)

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 24 May 17 10:15 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Have a great time Mel and family, it looks lovely.
Old 28 May 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Have a great time Mel and family, it looks lovely.
Thanks Jackie

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 17, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
good start
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 17, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
good start
Thank you - it was a lovely weekend!

Index of my trip reports
Old 1 Jul 17, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Great start! We've booked our very first Eurocamp style holiday and will be going in August so it's lovely to read about somebody else's experience.

That sunset, just beautiful
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by juliab View Post
Great start! We've booked our very first Eurocamp style holiday and will be going in August so it's lovely to read about somebody else's experience.

That sunset, just beautiful
You will have a ball! Where are you going to?

Index of my trip reports
Old 3 Jul 17, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
looks fab

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dozy View Post
looks fab
It was a lovely break - we are lucky to live so close to such naturally beautiful beaches!

Index of my trip reports