Notices

Old 1 Nov 16, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Kuala Lumpar 2016 LIVE - All By Myself: Day 5 - Rainforest And Caves

Thankfully I set my alarm last night as that is what woke me up this morning.

Even better news - water was hot and the toilet flushed normally.

I left at 8am and walked to my usual Starbucks. Is it sad that the barista has already learnt my name.

The only thing I booked before coming was a tour in a rainforest - FRIM. Fellow Dibber Laura provided me with how to best get there - taxi. The first one refused, the second one agreed for 60RM (15 euros). They are not meant to not use the meter but I didn't want the hassle. The meter was actually 52RM and the tolls were 4RM so it actually wasn't far off!

I arrived at 9.30am - the taxi took me all the way in. I was an hour early so sat outside reading my kindle.

I was on a group tour with nine other people. The total cost was about 35RM - less than 9 euros including entry to the forest and the canopy walk. A bargain.

The tour was very informative. This sight is apparently only found in a planted forest - how the trees form a canopy like this. There are 2 other places in the world where you will see it (Argentina and Papua New Guinea)

After about 90 minutes of tour we arrived at the path leading to the Canopy Walk. Only 500m. This took the group about an hour - one or two members of the group were quite slow and it was very steep. Thankfully the rests were appreciated

Once we got to the Canopy Walk we split into two groups. Now I am not a fan of these things (I know, I know - but I like to challenge myself)

The view over to KL was spectacular. You could just about make out the Petronas Towers.

I was proud if myself for doing it. It was then a steep walk down.

Once down I said my goodbyes to the group and walked about 20 minutes to the exit. By now it was about 2.30pm. Thankfully I got a taxi within minutes which took me to the Batu Caves (16RM - 4 euros). This took about 20 minutes as the roads were busy.

Lunch was essential - I hadn't eaten since breakfast. I went to a veggie Indian restaurant recommended in my guidebook. I had a roti - like a flat bread with a potato curry.

And two samosas. These were delicious. With a coke, cost was 12RM - 3 euros!

Batu Caves are an important Hindu holy site. There is a lot of work going on. Indeed, they try to get the tourists to carry up buckets of sand.

I found the whole experience slightly strange.

You walk up almost 300 steps - not what my legs needed. At the top is an enormous cave. There are also souvenir shops and temples with people praying. There are lots of Hindu monuments.

Walking up more steps there was another open cave and another temple. It was a lot quieter here.

On the way down were lots of monkeys who had got a bag off a lady full of bananas and grapes. These monkeys certainly knew how to get fed.

I went into another set of Caves - these were definitely VERY strange! In one set there were lots of pictures with sayings. This one made me laugh - basically if a wife is devoid of domestic excellence then notwithstanding any other greatness, the "conjugal state" is nothing...

Even on the way out there were lots of ornate structures.

This reminded me of the stance of a superhero!

I went to get the train. Unfortunately the machines were out of order so I had to queue up to buy a ticket. This meant missing the train. I sat with my kindle to wait for the next one 30 minutes later.

Now as far as I can recollect I hadn't banged my knee (I slipped once but didn't go down). But I had noticed a stain on my trousers but thought I must gave brushed it against something. But no - I had a bloody knee. It cleaned up with just a small graze left.

I relaxed for about an hour before heading out for dome dinner. As I was exhausted I didn't go far.

Thai was the order of the day. This was a mango slushie drink - very nice!

And a veggie stir fry in a garlic sauce. Tasty again. My most expensive meal at 36RM - 9 euros.

I had a wander around the mall before heading back. Only 24000 steps today - 17km but 92 flights of stairs. No wonder my legs are gone.

I think an easier day is called for tomorrow!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 16, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 1 Nov 16 2:02 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 16, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

WOW some fabulous sights Mel, so interesting and intriguing. Your thai food looks tasty.
Old 1 Nov 16, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A busy day with lots of great sights

Joan
Old 1 Nov 16, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Some incredible sights today! Great photos too.
The canopy walk looks really good, bit wobbly though! Love the look of the caves, my goodness, you really have walked a lot this trip...
Glad your upgraded room is working out for you!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
WOW some fabulous sights Mel, so interesting and intriguing. Your thai food looks tasty.
It was an interesting day! I loved the rainforest - then again I do like natural areas so it is probably not a surprise!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A busy day with lots of great sights

Joan
I think I only do busy days! My legs are telling me that

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Some incredible sights today! Great photos too.
The canopy walk looks really good, bit wobbly though! Love the look of the caves, my goodness, you really have walked a lot this trip...
Glad your upgraded room is working out for you!
Thankfully the room is still fine!

I don't like wobbly things - I don't have the best sense of balance! The rainforest was interesting and so unbusy!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Sorry, haven't had a chance to comment before - but I'm really enjoying your latest photo TR! Fascinating to see what's in KL and good for you for travelling to these places on your own.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 16, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Sorry, haven't had a chance to comment before - but I'm really enjoying your latest photo TR! Fascinating to see what's in KL and good for you for travelling to these places on your own.
Thank you! KL is certainly an interesting city!

Index of my trip reports
Old 3 Nov 16, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Looks like a great day, but your knee looks sore! How fabulous to visit the rainforest.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 16, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

What the heck did ou do to your knee?

Great day, fab photos

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List