Notices

Old 29 Jul 17, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 4 - Topiaries, Museum Of History And Night Lights

The day was full of meeting with the spider who turned up all over the place

I was awake early as usual. O turned up at about 7.30 and J and F even later! Breakfast was had - toast, coffee!

The plan for today was to visit Jacques Cartier Parc where there was a display of topiaries - again to celebrate 150 years of being Canada. Then onto the Museum of History for the culture fix, a rest and then actually buying something at American Girl! The day would finish with the Northern Lights spectacle on the Parliament building.

First stop - the topiaries. This was a free exhibition to showcase Canada's history with a bit of Chinese design thrown in (a team of Shanghai gardeners had helped with the concept). The park was across in Quebec- about a 20 minute walk!

This was Mother Nature.

The attention to detail was amazing!

This was one of my favourites - a howling wolf!

And one of the Chinese related ones - very impressive.

It really was an excellent display. It was very popular as you can imagine!

Then onto the Museum of History. This was only a 5 minute walk.

The museum was built by a famous Canadian architect in the style of Gaudi. It is said to represent a turtle.

Again, lots of attention to detail. You can see the bridge we walked across to get to Quebec!

I loved the display of Totem poles - so very Canadian.

The colours snd shapes are so very distinct.

We went through three galleries detailing the history of Canada from the very beginning. It was exceptionally well done and informative - even the kids liked it.

This was one of the ceilings - love all the colours!

We walked back yo the market for a late lunch - three burritos and a felafel pitta. The kids also had ice cream!

On the way back F and I stopped to get her two best friends a wired name bracelet - one was in stock, the other had to be made! We got caught up by the spider who was chasing the dragon! It is very busy in Ottawa due to "La Machine" as it is the first time they gave been in North America!

When we got back it was some down time to rest the weary limbs!

At about 5pm we went back to Chapters for F to make some purchases! She was also thrilled to be given a present from the manager who left it for her - she was made up with the lovely gesture

Dinner was in the food court - teriyaki salmon and rice for the kids and veggie noodles for me! Ok but nothing to write home about!

Back to the apartment again - with the decision that only O and I would go to the light show - F and J being too tired!

After doing a load of washing, O and I left at about 9.20pm to walk to Parliament.

We found a good spot (not difficult as (a) the Parliament is raised and (b) most people were sitting on the grass! We stood at the back - there were a lot of people but I don't know if that is normal!

The show started promptly at 10 pm and told the history of Canada - it was really interesting - not only the last 150 years but before that.

It also included a touching tribute to all the Canadians who lost their lives in battle - with a focus on WW1. It didn't overhype their involvement and for that I found it remarkedly moving.

It finished with a rendition of "O Canada" - everyone stood up.

It lasted about 30 minutes and both O and I were happy we had made the effort. It was informative and interesting without being over sentimental!

We walked back - our kegs and feet exhausted. Only 27,037 steps today - about 18.5km! So much for a less energetic day!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 04:33 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 29 Jul 17 4:33 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another long busy but great day

Joan
Old 29 Jul 17, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

The topiaries are amazing and the museum looks and sounds really good too. How nice of the manager to leave a gift. A lovely end to the day too with the light show. I do love O Canada 🇨🇦
Old 29 Jul 17, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another long busy but great day

Joan
Today should be "easier" as we are moving onto the next aventure!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
The topiaries are amazing and the museum looks and sounds really good too. How nice of the manager to leave a gift. A lovely end to the day too with the light show. I do love O Canada 🇨🇦
It was a great day - lots seen and learnt! F was so thrilled at being left a gift - such a nice touch!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg

Edited at 11:09 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Some fab photos it looks like you had a great day. How nice the manager left a little present. The light show looked good.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

"Skeleton Spider"?

Another full day (and lots of walking!) - the topiaries look excellent and the Museum of History is a fantastic building (also seems good on the inside!). The light show looked well worth the effort. (Not too sentimental = not too Disney-fied?! ) Hope you slept well after it all, though.

What a lovely manager to leave a gift for F at American Girl! She must have been thrilled. Hope she's pleased with her purchases, too.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 03:29 AM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Another good day. The topiaries are lovely, as was the light show. On to the next stage of your adventure. Hope you have fun and looking forward to sharing with you

Edited at 05:00 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Just caught up. Fab few days. You packed so much in. The topiaries & the light show looked great
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 02:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
"Skeleton Spider"?

Another full day (and lots of walking!) - the topiaries look excellent and the Museum of History is a fantastic building (also seems good on the inside!). The light show looked well worth the effort. (Not too sentimental = not too Disney-fied?! ) Hope you slept well after it all, though.

What a lovely manager to leave a gift for F at American Girl! She must have been thrilled. Hope she's pleased with her purchases, too.
Lots of walking - my kids love me so much for that

The light show was really very touching - not at all in your face.

F loves all her purchases - will try to include a picture tomorrow!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Some fab photos it looks like you had a great day. How nice the manager left a little present. The light show looked good.
It was a surprisingly good day - Ottawa had a lot more going for it than I thought but some was down to the 150th anniversary celebrations!

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Another good day. The topiaries are lovely, as was the light show. On to the next stage of your adventure. Hope you have fun and looking forward to sharing with you
Thanks Jo - so far so good

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Just caught up. Fab few days. You packed so much in. The topiaries & the light show looked great
My family don't dall our city visits "boot camps" for nothing I am a lot more relaxed on the countryside!

Index of my trip reports