Notices

Old 25 Feb 18, 02:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 2: A Tour Of The City

I woke up at 3.30am but managed to get back to sleep until 5.30am which meant I got about 7.5 hours sleep! More than usual!

I faffed about, had a shower and was the first down to breakfast at 7 am.

The choice of breakfast was mainly toast in its various guises, yoghurts, cereals and coffee.

With my first round of toast I managed to burn it as the toaster was on too high!

Most of the guests were glued to the TV - bronze medal ice hockey game (Canada won! )

My plan today was to go up to Jean Talon market and explore that area using a citywalk app.

I walked to McGill metro station and caught the subway, changing at Berri-Uqam to go north to Jean Talon. It took about 20 minutes as I was lucky with the trains!

The market was about a 5 minute walk from the station. From the outside it was very non-descript!

It was a lot more atmospheric inside! And as it was still early, I could look around easily as therevwasn’t mant people around! I can imagine it gets packed at certain times of the day.

I liked these maple candles but I am always cautious of putting candles in my bag - not sure why!

I bought three small tins of maple syrup - one for home and one each for my 2 colleagues!

From leaving the market I walked to Little Italy which was full of Italian cafes and food shops. I went into the supermarket there that had all the brands I would see in Italy!

The cafes seemed full of older people enjoying a cappucino.

Whilst there was no snow on the pavements, you could see from the parks how much it had snowed.

There was an ice rink in this one, just down from Little Italy. However, it was quite wet as the temperature was quite high. I didn't need a hat or gloves all day.

The Montreal bagels are different from the usual ones - they are tinner with a bigger hole and are boiled in honey sweetened water before being cooked in a wood fired oven.

I took quite a long detour to the most famous one - Saint Viateur - but was quite disappointed that you couldn't have them toasted and eat in. I got two cinnamon and raisin ones that I will have for breakfast tomorrow.

I decided to keep going, following roughly the route on the app through Mile End to Plateau Mont Royal.

The route was actually not that interesting in the sense that the app made a big deal of certain areas that I felt didn't deserve it. I did enjoy looking at the local style of housing - most were three storeys with outside stairs leading to each floor so there were no internal staitways. Therevwere very few single dwelling houses.

Although only 11am I was starting to get hungry. I saw a cafe called Une Crepe and went in. I had their breakfast special without the beans. It was very tasty and was only $7 including coffee. A bargain!

I decided to walk back to the hotel rather than catching the subway! I went into a supermarket and got some cinnamon buns.

I needed the sugar rush as by the time I had walked back to the hotel I had done 13km. I recognised the route on Rue St Denis from our first trip to Montreal 4 years ago! I called into a couple of shops and added potential items to my shopping list.

I had a break of about an hour watching TV in french as training for Monday!

My idea for the afternoon was to walk up Mont Royal while the weather was dry!

It was uphill! The buildings on each side here are part of McGill University - one of the most renown universities in Quebec.

However, by the time I got to the bottom of the park, with at least another 2 km of uphill to go I knew my legs didn't have it in them.

So I turned around and went back down!

As I was close to the Redpath Museum I decided Iwould go in - only it is closed on Saturdays.

I decided I would go to Chinatown instead!

Another rink but no skaters! Too slushy again!

There were some interesting art works!

And a scary wolf which was bigger than me!

I decided that catching the metro would be easier on my feet. I am not sure it was any quicker but I certainly liked the sitting down aspect of it!

Initially the area looked like an average street with lots of chinese stores and restaurant.

Whilst the Chinatown was not very big, it did remind me in smells of Hong Kong.

These cakes looked cute but I am not sure if they would be style over substance!

I went into a couple of shops - I especially love the cooking supplies one! The whole area was certainly bustling! And there were some nods towards Chinese architecture.

Even though not particularly religious, I do enjoy visiting churches.

This one was Basilique St Patrick which had as its congregation the local Irish population. You could see the four leaf clover on the floor.

The organ was being played and I spent an enjoyable 20 minutes sitting on a pew in the calm.

I then headed to Le Complexe Desjardins where, as part of the En Lumiere festival they had a festival of cheese. As you can see, it was very busy with lots of stands showcasing their locally produced goods.

I had connected to the wifi to send a message to F (it was bedtime) and she facetimed me! We had a chat for about 20 minutes - it amazes me how easy it is now to stay in touch anywhere!

I then headed outside where the free activities for the festival were taking place. It was busy with lots of families enjoying the mild weather.

There was a toboggan run which seemed to be a big hit with the children. There were food stands and fire pits (which if it was as cold as it could be would be useful!)

There was also a small big wheel!

The atmosphere was one of fun!

You could also do a zipline. Having done this in Las Vegas (in the surrounding mountains) I was not about to volunteer to do it again!

I headed back to the hotel which wasn't far away. Another small rest may have been taken!

I decided to go to Brit & Chips for dinner. I had maple batter haddock and chips with ginger beer. It was delicious but I couldn't finish it. Good job I had done a lot of walking to use up some of these calories.

It was certainly a lot colder tonight - I needed my scarf and gloves and even resorted to putting my hood up.

Back at the hotel I went up to the 11th floor terrace to look at the view. There were still a lot of activity - people going to and from the En Lumiere festival which was only up the road.

I headed back to my room and tried valiantly to write up my report but between the wifi been slow and my tiredness I had to abandon!

I had enjoyed my wanderings! I ended up doing over 32,500 steps - over 24km. A record for me I think.

As soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep!

Edited at 01:24 AM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 25 Feb 18 11:07 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had a great daywith lots of walking no wonder you were tired

Joan
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Looks like a great day no wonder you were exhausted with all that walking. The fish & chips look amazing. Hope your bagels taste good for breakfast!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sounds like you had a great daywith lots of walking no wonder you were tired

Joan
It was a lovely day but exhausting! Lucky I didn't have the kids with me as they would not have been so cooperative!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Looks like a great day no wonder you were exhausted with all that walking. The fish & chips look amazing. Hope your bagels taste good for breakfast!
Unfortunately the bagel was a let down

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

That's a whole lot of walking in one day. Inside the church looks beautiful. The festival sounds like loads of fun. And your fish n chips look delicious. Cracking view from the hotel too.
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

A lovely day. I think the fish and chips certainly were well deserved after all that walking
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I can see from the photos the piles of snow at the side of the road. A busy day today, but it sounds good to be walking around the city.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Oh my goodness, you walked a lot today! What a shame the museum was closed, but it sounds like you found plenty of other things to do. No wonder you were asleep quickly.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
That's a whole lot of walking in one day. Inside the church looks beautiful. The festival sounds like loads of fun. And your fish n chips look delicious. Cracking view from the hotel too.
It was a good day! My ankle is paying the price of all the walking though!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
A lovely day. I think the fish and chips certainly were well deserved after all that walking
I agree I deserved the fish and chips

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I can see from the photos the piles of snow at the side of the road. A busy day today, but it sounds good to be walking around the city.
There is lots of snow pikes around but it is impressive how quicly they get the roads and pavements clear!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Oh my goodness, you walked a lot today! What a shame the museum was closed, but it sounds like you found plenty of other things to do. No wonder you were asleep quickly.
I don't think it has taken me more than 30 seconds to fall asleep each evening!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg