Notices

Old 27 Feb 19, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Argentina: Summer In Winter - Spring 2019: Day 4 - Brazil, Birds and Boats

Today was our final day at the Falls but the Brazilian side this time. I had read that the Argentinian side was like being on the stage whilst the Brazilian side was like being in the audience! We shall see

I was awake too early at 4am - that is what napping does for me! O said he was awake at 6am. We both had showers and then went to the hotel next door. I repeated my breakfast of yesterday and O again ate lots of croissants and a bit of cake!

Erik, our Airbnb host drove us across which really helped as he dealt with all the immigration formalities. We were stamped out of Argentina and into Brazil.

This is the actual border on the River Iguazu (well on the bridge over it). It took about an hour to get from the flat to the National Park. Erik helped us buy our tickets and even lent me some reals as I hadn't been able to get some beforehand. We arranged a pick up time of 4.15 pm - it was now 9.45am.

We decided we would start in the Bird Park opposite the park, go into the park and then on the boat ride into the Falls that we had also booked.

The Bird Park was exceptionally well done and we both thoroughly enjoyed our time here!

There were two highlights for O - the first being the Toucans. We stayed in their aviary for ages and were rewarded with some great shots of them!

The second were the parrots! Seeing both of them really made O's day!

O bought some magnets and hanging toucans and parrots from the gift-shop - a very reasonable 15 euros.

We had spent almost 2 hours in here and felt a 4.15pm puck up was too just so O whatapped Erik to ask if 5 was OK (it was!)

We made our way across to the National Park. O was peckish so got a sundae. We then had to take a double decker bus to the Trail walk. This was efficiently done and took about 20 minutes to get there.

We were feeling lucky with the weather - storms had been forecast and whilst not brilliant bright blue skies it was at least not raining!

This was not a particularly long walk nor was it arduous but the views were spectacular!

From this side you got a whole different perspective. The walk was quite busy - there were the usual selfie takers who seemed to spend ages in the best spots finding that perfect picture!

We then put on our raincoats as we approached the lookout onto Devil's Throat waterfall. The noise was immense and the water was enough to make you pleasantly wet!

You really were in the thick of it all. The power of the water was incredible.

We spent a good 30 minutes here before making our way back to dry land. We were conscious time ticking on - I had read the boat tour took about 2 hours so we needed to be getting the bus back to the boat stop by twoish.

We decided on a quick lunch.

I had a cheese sandwich and O had a rainbow fruit salad - he had the better option I think!

We caught the bus back yo the boat safari drop off. This was billed as an ecotour, a hike and a boat ride under the falls. It was about 60 euros each. O really wanted to do it and we had bought the full waterproofs so we went for it.

The first part was a bus ride through the forest. The blurb said there would be wildlife - there wasn't but it was pleasant enough.

Then there was a hike through the rainforest - nothing really of interest (still no wildlife )

Then the main hit - the boat ride.

We hot out our waterproofs and put our bags in a locker (10 reals - about 2 euros). We also went barefoot. Some people were obviously unprepared (jeans and nothing to protect them! ).

There was the choice of wet or less wet. We went for wet!

First was about a 5 minute speed ride upto the falls. At this stage, we were still dry!

Then we went into the actual falls (O put his phone away here )

The amount of water was amazing. Everyone was drenched!

We then, after quite a few runs under the falls headed back.

The trip was a lot of fun and well organised but expensive for what it was. O loved it which was the objective!

We were thankfully dry except for a bit of a soggy bottom!

We got our stuff, packed away the waterproofs and got a jeep then the bus back to the bus stop. We waited about 10 minutes for the bus back to base. It was lucky we had changed the time as it was just before 5! Erik arrived promptly.

The trip back took about 75 minutes - we stopped at a souvenir shop - they had some very expensive (like 40,000 euro expensive) precious stone ornaments as well as the the usual tat. We didn't buy anything!

Immigration was quick from Brazil but slow into Argentina!

Erik kindly stopped for us to pick up a pizza. It was okay! At least we were fed.

I finished all the packing and O fell asleep after we had had showers. It was a little strange as our flight back to BA was at 11.55pm! Erik picked us up at 9.30pm as it was about a 30m ride to the airport. There, I paid Eric - we had agreed $95 but he had been so helpful and done a lot of running us around that O and I felt $150 was more appropriate.

Check in was slow - we were the only flight! Security again was light and we were all boarded and ready to go on time!

The flight will be covered tomorrow

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 27 Feb 19 8:30 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day Erik sounds like a star!

Joan
Old 1 Mar 19, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Great day, the waterfalls look wonderful. Erik seemed an amazing Airbnb host/taxi driver, I agree he was worth paying the extra for all his help.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

More stunning waterfall pics, and fabulous ones of those gorgeous birds. What a great day. Sounds long and a bit tiring though by the end,
What a superb find your Airbnb host was !
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day Erik sounds like a star!

Joan
Hi Joan

Erik really was amazing - made the whole experience do much easier!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Great day, the waterfalls look wonderful. Erik seemed an amazing Airbnb host/taxi driver, I agree he was worth paying the extra for all his help.
I think Erik is what airbnb is about!

The Brazilian side was certainly worth the visit!

Index of my trip reports
Old 1 Mar 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
More stunning waterfall pics, and fabulous ones of those gorgeous birds. What a great day. Sounds long and a bit tiring though by the end,
What a superb find your Airbnb host was !
It really was a great day - as they have all been!

I was really pleased with the bird pictures - they were taken on my sony rather than my phone as zooming on the phone never produces a sharp image

Index of my trip reports
Old 5 Mar 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Your pictures are stunning - looks like another great day, even if it was a bit tiring.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Your pictures are stunning - looks like another great day, even if it was a bit tiring.
Sitting at Frankfurt Airport waiting for our flight back to France I can confirm thst the whole trip was tiring and I need another holiday

The bird pictures came out well!

Index of my trip reports