Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Mar 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
DD will (hopefully) be going to uni next September and she is my only child so I will be gutted - she really is more like a friend than a daughter.

2 of the really good universities for vet med are in Scotland but she has decided not to apply to either of these as it's just too far away. I find it hard to believe there are no uni's doing vet courses in Wales which would be nearer to us than some of the places in England as we are in the West Midlands. 2 of the places she is looking at are Bristol and Harper/Keele which are both about 90 minutes away.
I have the same relationship with my daughter. She has a close group of friends but also enjoys spending a lot of time with me. We are even going to see Panic at the Disco together next Monday and often go shopping and days out together, so we are both going to find that we miss each other when she leaves.

Bristol University does vet courses and it’s a very good university. My daughter is going there for her Biology course and it’s very Animal/conservation based. The University has close links with the BBC’s natural sciences programmes and often works with the BBC for their big animal programmes which Georgia found very interesting.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

If all goes to plan, then DS will be about 14h away by plane (at leadt two flights). It will be hard but he is already talking about setting up facetime schedules!

My only consolation is that DD is still at home!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bugsy
Apprentice Imagineer

It looks pretty certain that my DD will be going to Glasgow University next year. She has a conditional offer ( BBB at Advanced Higher) for medicine and an unconditional for Pharmacology. She intends to firm the medicine and make the pharmacology her insurance. The only thing stopping her doing this by now is that Aberdeen havent replied yet ( Medicine), If Aberdeen give her an offer with lower conditions ( Highly unlikely) then this would be her insurance.
We are going to the UofG offers day on Tuesday, this is mainly to look at accomodation as she saw the talks at the open day and the Hospital tour is 3 Hrs ( and she pointed out she has no choice on which hospital she works at but has a choice of accomodation).
Sequoia Lodge 2006,Sequoia Lodge 2008,Sequoia Lodge 2009,Old Key West 2010,Sequoia Lodge 2011,Old Key West 2012,Old Key West 2014,Royal Pacific Resort 2016,Anaheim 2016,Sequoia Lodge 2018,Beach Club 2019
Bugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Accomodation has opened today for UWE Bristol.

DD having a panic as it states she has to put down six options. However the campus she’ll be studying at only has four different choices so it seems like she’ll have to put down her last two choices on a different campus which seems ridiculous.

If anyone has any experience with UWE, advice would be much appreciated.

I really feel for DD today - she’s trying to revise for her Welsh speaking exam tomorrow so worrying about accomodation is the last thing she needs!
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
Accomodation has opened today for UWE Bristol.

DD having a panic as it states she has to put down six options. However the campus she’ll be studying at only has four different choices so it seems like she’ll have to put down her last two choices on a different campus which seems ridiculous.

If anyone has any experience with UWE, advice would be much appreciated.

I really feel for DD today - she’s trying to revise for her Welsh speaking exam tomorrow so worrying about accomodation is the last thing she needs!
There is a definite lack of accommodation close to the universities in Bristol. I know Georgia can only put two choices down but it is very possible that she won’t get either but will be offered one elsewhere, which could be in the out of town student village (which she really doesn’t want as she has heard it is the noisiest option and far from the city), and if she refuses there is no other university made option. This is for Bristol University not UWE.

Hopefully, your daughter will get one of her first 4 choices. I wish Georgia could specify city centre, as she would manage in any of those but she will not be pleased with an offer in the student village. Good luck for the Welsh exam tomorrow x

Edited at 04:28 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Not sure if this is relevant but just wanted to suggest for anyone looking at student halls to also look at private ones .ds is going to Nottingham Trent (first come first served basis on accommodation) the uni accommodation that was left was either too far or we just didn’t like ! The student halls we chose were much better value for money ,modern and better facilities also the price was the same as uni accommodation! Obviously it will vary in each city but worth looking into
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CRUELLA View Post
Not sure if this is relevant but just wanted to suggest for anyone looking at student halls to also look at private ones .ds is going to Nottingham Trent (first come first served basis on accommodation) the uni accommodation that was left was either too far or we just didn’t like ! The student halls we chose were much better value for money ,modern and better facilities also the price was the same as uni accommodation! Obviously it will vary in each city but worth looking into
Thank you, yes this is a good point. We have looked into this for Bristol but the private halls all seem to be 52 week contracts, whereas the university halls are 42 weeks which makes a big difference on the cost unfortunately. It definitely is worth looking into though as it may be a better option for some
Old 20 Mar 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We are very pleased with Student Finance Wales. We had a little trouble setting up our parent’s accounts as they had to reset them from when our older sons applied years ago, but they did this easily enough. We submitted our details last Thursday and Georgia has had her award letter today with details of the payment dates etc. All within a week of applying 😀 . That’s another thing ticked off the list 😀
Old 20 Mar 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by KC2014 View Post
Oh it’s so hard isn’t it especially when there’s a bigger distance. If you’ve done a visit or two and she’s happy I guess you have to go with it. It is a worry though after all these years of looking after them and they’re off to live elsewhere so soon. I have been checking out the various support services offered at ds1’s main choices. Certainly at Glasgow the accommodation has support staff on hand in the building so I’m hoping he would talk to them if he needed anything practical or otherwise. Is London your halfway point then? An excuse for a London trip
Yes London is our halfway point, we are in East Sussex so train up to Victoria then she transfers to St Pancras and a direct train is 2 hrs 15 mins to Sheffield. By the time we’ve got to the station and transferred through London it’s 5-6 hrs. But at least we can meet in London for the day and I plan to visit her in half term as I’ll be off work and can hopefully meet her for dinner or during the day if she is free.

Just had some paperwork for student finance through, so that’s been filled in and ready to send back.

Dd has managed to confirm a job transfer with the supermarket she works for too, so that’s really good news. The local branch is only a 10 min walk from the halls, they even have different Sunday trading hours of 12-6 to fit in with the students 😂.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.

Edited at 06:30 PM.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
There is a definite lack of accommodation close to the universities in Bristol. I know Georgia can only put two choices down but it is very possible that she won’t get either but will be offered one elsewhere, which could be in the out of town student village (which she really doesn’t want as she has heard it is the noisiest option and far from the city), and if she refuses there is no other university made option. This is for Bristol University not UWE.

Hopefully, your daughter will get one of her first 4 choices. I wish Georgia could specify city centre, as she would manage in any of those but she will not be pleased with an offer in the student village. Good luck for the Welsh exam tomorrow x
Thank you.

She’s worked really hard. I’ve been listening to her and she sounds amazing. I can even manage to understand some of it! I just hope the examiner doesn’t throw in any curved balls.

She’s just submitted her application for the accomodation. She had to put down six choices, two of which are off campus but hopefully she’ll get one of her first two choices, particularly as she’s applied quite early.

Some of her friends haven’t even accepted their offers yet let alone applied for accomodation.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List