Notices

Old 26 Feb 22, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

ARIZONA 2022: A National Park Road Trip - Day 7 Monument Valley

I was awake way too early again this morning. I spent the time finishing up yesterday's report and posting it.

About 7am I started getting ready for the day and in the process woke up O! He had a shower too and then we went down to breakfast. I had bought a packet of cinnamon raisin bagels yesterday at Walmart and we had those (as I can't get them in France and I love them for breakfast). O had a juice and I had a few cups of coffee.

We nipped into Walmart to get some items for tea as there wasn't anywhere to eat at tonight's hotel. I got an egg sandwich and O chose a muesli yogurt and some mango.

We went back to the hotel, finished the packing and checked out. We were on the road by 9.15am. Today's destination was Monument Valley. This was going to be about a 200km trip! And only 6 turns!

There wasn't much traffic at all- but at times a lot of snow at the side of the road. I was happy that we weren't driving yesterday. I seemed to be overtaken a lot by white cars!

By 11am we had arrived in Kayenta - about the only town on the route. The number one eatery on TripAdvisor was the Amigo Cafe and we decided that we would try it for an early lunch. I chose cheese quesadilla with guacamole and O chose a veggie frybread. Both were extremely nice. Together with a latte this was $33 including tip. We were really impressed.

We got back in the car- next step was the Utah state line! A new state for both of us!

We then drive to Mexican Hat - a rock formation. It was not really possible to access it as it was down a dirt track and in the hire car I didn't want to go down it so we parked up and walked to get a better view!

Next stop was Goosenecks State Park. This has a double bend horseshoe similar to the one in Page but not as pretty as the water was muddy brown and the stone was a completely different colour. But it was an impressive geographical phenomena. We took a 30 minute walk to stretch our legs.

The next and penultimate stop was a classic scene from a very famous film - Forrest Gump's run. The road signs told you to slow down before you got here- pedestrians are known to stand in the middle of the road. Of course we didn't do that at all! Thankfully there was not much traffic at all!

Our final stop and our bed got the night was Monument Valley. We paid the $20 entrance fee to the tribal park. We parked up in the hotel's car park and went into reception. Our room wasn't ready but they did give O the wifi code - a relief as he hasn't been able to get a signal since we left Page. Whereas I could.

We decided that we would do the Wildcat Trail hike. This was a 4 mile hike around West Mitten Butte. We had to sign in as a security measure. There were not many people on the trail at all- we saw 4 or 5. The ground was hard going at time - a muddy sand due to the weather the previous day. But the view we got of the Mittens so close up were worth it.

Once we got back we got our stuff from the car and checked in. All the rooms at The View Hotel have a bit of the Mittens. We were on the third floor. The rooms had two double beds and a balcony. As it was about 5pm and we had dinner from Walmart we decided to stay put.

I had my sandwich and spent the next few hours going out onto the balcony to take photos as the sun went down (no sunset as such as the sun was behind us)

As the night fell, with no light pollution you could see the stars. I figured out how to take photos of them. Not perfect but for a first attempt I was happy!

I got into bed about 8.30pm and O said I was asleep by about 9.30pm!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 22, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 26 Feb 22 12:14 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 22, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lindasarahlou
slightly serious Dibber

Fabulous photos. Would love to have stayed there for a sunset and sunrise! Are you planning on doing the Valley Drive? Enjoy you day and views! Xx
90 Orlando/Clearwater; 92 Orlando/Daytona,Ft Laud, Keys, Everglades, Naples/Clearwater 95 Cedar Point, Niagara, Orlando 02 (now with kids!) DLP Santa Fe 04 Lindfields 07 Doral Woods/Daytona 500; 07 Sanctuary Westhaven; 10 Calabay Parc; 13 Highlands Reserve 15 DC, Smokies Coasters Cumbrian Lakes 16 Toronto Cedar Point Niagara + coasters 17 Highlands Reserve 18 NY 18 Vegas & Canyons 19 West Stonebridge 23 California Coasters
lindasarahlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 22, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Fabulous photos-pleased you managed to find some cinnamon bagels!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 22, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Even more fabulous photos

Joan
Old 27 Feb 22, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
More stunning photos today Mel. The colour of the sky really sets off the monuments well - such a great contrast.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 22, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Brilliant monument photos

How straight are some of the American roads! Just go for miles...
Old 27 Feb 22, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Gorgeous photos. We didn’t have time for Monument Valley when we were there but I really want to go. Love the colours
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 22, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Stunning photos again, the night sky must have been incredible with no light pollution

Great Forrest Gump photo too 😃
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 22, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Brilliant photos - especially the stars!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List