Notices

Old 23 Dec 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 1 Travel Day

The day started so very early at 4.30am. Showers were had and then we locked up and drove the 20 minutes to the airport.

On our way at last!

Check in was quick - as expected F will have extra screening at Heathrow!

We were through security within 10 minutes. The kids had chocolatines, the adults coffee. Then passport control.

We saw some friends who were off to NYC!

The flight was called for boarding on time! We were in row 4 so last to board!

I managed to nod for most of the flight - am feeling under the weather (J has had the flu this week... ).

We arrived 20 minutes early.

Coffee was needed. Thankfully security was quick and we were in Costa 20 minutes after leaving the plane. Result

Off for lunch at Huxely's! Flight is at least showing on the board!

Lunch for two of us was breakfast - and very nice it was too!

O had fish and chips and J scrambled egg and salmon!

Hopefully that will keep us going!

Boarding was a little late but we took off only 15 minutes behind schedule.

The flight was very festive - the crew wore hats, were in a very good humour, Christmas dinner was on offer (though I had pre-ordered an asian veggie dish which was nice) as were mince pies.

They came round regularly with drinks plus a snack after about 6 hours. There was another meal before landing!

The flight was pretty full as expected two says before Christmas.

I read, watched some masterchef and nodded quite a bit!

It was a long flight it had to be said! Everyone did well and there were mo cross words!

There was some specular views.

We would have landed early but for the fact we touched down, the plane speeded up again and took off again! We. eventually landed at 5.05pm.

By 7pm we had done immigration, got the bags, gone through customs, took the bus to the car hire center, got the car, driven 45km to Carlsbad and were in the hotel. Result!

Now we are all tableting until we fall asleep! No doubt an early morning will be had

Edited at 04:30 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 17, 04:35 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 24 Dec 17 3:35 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Happy Boxing Day! Great views from the plane, did you find out why it took off again?
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Happy Boxing Day! Great views from the plane, did you find out why it took off again?
You too

Apparently it was going too fast! It was really odd and whilst I am not an anxious flyer it did make me think. The wheels had touched down then suddenly the engines were put into full power and off we went again. I see this a lot at our local airport when they are test flying planes but to actually experience it was a bit disconcerting!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Not a bad travel day Mel, hope you're feeling a bit better. The views are gorgeous from the plane, I never really get to see them as DH always has the window seat.

Merry Christmas.
Old 27 Dec 17, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Not a bad travel day Mel, hope you're feeling a bit better. The views are gorgeous from the plane, I never really get to see them as DH always has the window seat.

Merry Christmas.
Thanks Jackie - F was in the window seat so these were from the back of the plane!

I am feeling fine thankfully - the dry heat is a good remedy for snotty noses and coughs!

Merry Christmas to you too

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 28 Dec 17, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hey there, Belated Happy Christmas !

Long day but pretty good - apart from a double landing.. yikes !

Hope you are feeling better - I have the Xmas lurgy too , it seems to be doing the rounds !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great travel day

Joan
Old 30 Dec 17, 04:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Hey there, Belated Happy Christmas !

Long day but pretty good - apart from a double landing.. yikes !

Hope you are feeling better - I have the Xmas lurgy too , it seems to be doing the rounds !
Hi Amanda

The lurgy didn't stay around thankfully - I think the sunny weather has helped! Hope you are feeling better too!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Great travel day

Joan
It wasn't bad as these things go - though two landings was a bit much

Index of my trip reports
Old 14 Jan 18, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
It sounds like a long day with your very early start, but glad it was uneventful. I wouldn’t have been keen on the two landings though - you’re just desperate to get off the plane by then, not circle round and have to wait again.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List